Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Some questions on MEL-PER in J and PER transit

Old Aug 24, 18, 4:21 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!

I have a MEL-PER-KUL trip (J class, one ticket) next week with MEL-PER on QF. Couple of questions:

1. MEL-PER is QF 653 scheduled on an A330 with a 2035 departure. Is this a full service meal (dinner) flight, or should I grab something in the terminal?

2. Will QF @ MEL be able to thru check bags to KUL and issue the MH BP as well? All flights on same ticket, but issued by MH.

3. At PER do I need to exit and re-clear security or is there an airside transit option?

4. Would customs/emigration happen at MEL or PER? I will likely be needing to use the TRS (tourist refund scheme) for some purchases, and am assuming this will happen in PER, (but not certain!) and if so any idea where this counter is at PER?

Thanks!

Old Aug 24, 18, 5:36 am

In Perth you will need exit as you will arrive at T4 as a domestic passenger and will need to transfer to international T1 which is a 10-15 minute drive. You will then need to pass security,immigration, customs etc at T1 in Perth. Your MEL-PER leg will be regular domestic flight.
Old Aug 24, 18, 8:09 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA
Originally Posted by screech View Post
In Perth you will need exit as you will arrive at T4 as a domestic passenger and will need to transfer to international T1 which is a 10-15 minute drive. You will then need to pass security,immigration, customs etc at T1 in Perth. Your MEL-PER leg will be regular domestic flight.
There is a free landside bus between the terminals
You will go through emigration at PER, there is a TRS booth right after emigration
Old Aug 24, 18, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another international travel PER thread, but going the other way:---->perth international to domestic transfer

Perth terminals for QF are different from what they were a few years ago.
Perth Airport - Passengers | Which terminal
http://www.perthairport.com.au/to-an...ring-terminals

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...erth/global/en Transfer tab

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 24, 18 at 2:37 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 24, 18, 8:18 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF653 is a dinner service better food in J than the J lounge will have (but not as good as the F lounge at MEL has, if you happen to have F lounge access). The transfer to international terminal at PER is a hassle, it was built to be a separate airport hence the long drive landisde; at least there is a free shuttle now, I remember when you had to bribe a taxi to take you (as most did not want such a short fare).

I presume this is a mileage run, as MH has non-stop MEL-KUL service departing at 23:25 which would have been much more convenient and pleasant.
Old Aug 24, 18, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the answers so far. ^

@number_6 : The J fare on the nonstop was twice that of the connection via PER on my date. Not a MR, and would definitely have prefered the nonstop.

I had no idea the transit at PER was this complicated! Would QF thru check baggage at MEL all the way or should I ask them to short check to PER and then reclaim and carry bags to the international airport terminal myself?

Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 18, 10:14 pm

Programs: NZ
You will be able to through check your luggage in MEL - whether you get your boarding pass for PER/KUL in MEL, I do not know.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Aug 25, 18, 12:48 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
The lounge in MEL Domestic will be the newly renovated Qantas Domestic Business Lounge.
The renovated section reopened yesterday.

See
https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-open...tm_source=grid
AJLondon likes this.
Old Aug 25, 18, 6:03 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
Thanks everyone for all the answers so far. ^

@number_6 : The J fare on the nonstop was twice that of the connection via PER on my date. Not a MR, and would definitely have prefered the nonstop.

I had no idea the transit at PER was this complicated! Would QF thru check baggage at MEL all the way or should I ask them to short check to PER and then reclaim and carry bags to the international airport terminal myself?

Thanks!
Crikey, you're not on the 2.30 am 737 service PER-KUL?
Not my cup of tea that flight!
Old Aug 25, 18, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by perthite View Post
Crikey, you're not on the 2.30 am 737 service PER-KUL?
Not my cup of tea that flight!
Sadly, yes! My first time on that flight. Hoping for a last minute swap to the 330 might be unrealistic, so just hoping for the best.
Old Aug 25, 18, 10:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Zero chance of MH substituting an A330 for PER-KUL. At least you get a bed on the MEL-PER sector. The transfer from PER domestic to int'l is sufficiently bad that QF insisted on having a QF int'l wing built for the QF domestic terminal as a pre-condition for starting PER-LHR service -- which the WA government desperately wanted. Makes for good QF domestic to QF international transfers, but doesn't help the other Oneworld airlines. They are still stuck with the old international terminal, which is pretty poor compared to the new QF int'l facilities. I suppose the transfer is no worse than LHR T5 to T3 except that it is landside. QF will check your bags to KUL at MEL and you definitely want to do that, taking bags to international is a big hassle. After this you may realize why the non-stop was priced at double
windchaser777 and kaffir76 like this.
Old Aug 29, 18, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
think the worst thing here are the MH J recliner seats and the relatively short overnight sector
Old Aug 29, 18, 9:26 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
think the worst thing here are the MH J recliner seats and the relatively short overnight sector
The same could be said for QF's DPS-SYD and DPS-MEL flights, but we digress.
Old Aug 29, 18, 11:51 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Worse would be being in economy.
it's a relatively short flight. Not going to get a normal sleep whether it's recliner or flat bed.
​​​​​
Hope you get early access to hotel room in KL.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: