Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

What class will post to Qantas for an upgraded British Airways flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Very simple question, but I can't find anyone asking this before.
I have two British Airways flights. One Short, one Long haul.
Currently have a BA EC FF in the PNR, just about to change to a QF FF.

Long Haul, booked into C. I use BA Avios to upgrade to F.
Will this post as C, or as a pure redemption?
Common Sense says it SHOULD post to QF as revenue C class, but when I check my ticket class, it is now listed in a redemption bucket?

Booked into Y short hail, I upgrade myself with an emailed offer, saying 'pay to upgrade to Club Europe - you will receive Business Class BA tier points'. I pay.
Still listed as Y in the booking, but online under MMB on BA I can see it is upgraded, but still listed as Y.
Will this also receive the correct Business Status Credits on QF?

Anyone with experience?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you sure that it is worth switching to QF? Its scheme seems to be even worse than BA's

For the upgrade to Z class, you should get FF miles based on the underlying economy class

For the paid upgrade, you may get the higher rate but I don't think that you have any comeback if it credits as the underlying economy
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:14 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Sometimes there are errors in posting, but 99.99% correct these days, which means you will get the C and Y fares SC as purchased, the upgrades don't affect SC earn. A decade ago BA often credited as the upgraded class to QFF, but those days are gone.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: NZ
I agree, you will get the points/SC for the classes you booked (C and Y). And be prepared to have to put in a claim for the points as your flown flights will be in classes that don't earn QFF points.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll report back.
I'm putting these flights onto QF rather BA EC, as it should mean I'll get to plat this year: not much point keeping both BA Silver and QF Gold running in parallel.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: QF Gold
If you pay cash for an upgrade (POUG) you will get the higher SC and points as it is re-ticketed. Even recently the cash upgrade booked into a redemption bucket (which sometimes happens), but still posted correctly as J.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: qantas silver, starwood gold, american express centurion
I have the same question. I have been offered a paid upgrade on a BA operated LHR-ARN flight. Will I receive QF status credits and points for business class or economy?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The answer is in post #2:
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For the paid upgrade, you may get the higher rate but I don't think that you have any comeback if it credits as the underlying economy
YMMV
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: QFF Silver/ OW Sapphire
Going through this myself now... I had originally bought a return fare MAN-LHR-MAN. I then went into my booking on BA site and paid for upgrades on each sector (the only paid upgrade was an offer one for 59 - they wouldn't have let me pay for a more expensive one if I tried).

After making the first upgrade I phoned and asked BA what the situation was re credits and they advised that I would get the Credits posted correctly as Business (despite the booking class now showing as U).

To confirm - I paid cash for the original fare and cash for each of the upgrades.

It came up as a 0 credit/ pts 'reward redemption' on my QFF statement today so emailed QFF with etickets (original and each paid upgrade) and boarding passes... Hoping I get a (good) resolution as they were revenue fares - you cannot pay cash for U fare types!!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by wellsy
If you pay cash for an upgrade (POUG) you will get the higher SC and points as it is re-ticketed. Even recently the cash upgrade booked into a redemption bucket (which sometimes happens), but still posted correctly as J.
Mine didn't - flew MAN-LHR-MAN on Sunday. Original fare was in G (which is eligible for Y SCs in QF) then I did one POUG (out) it put it into U - called BA and after ages on hold I was told it would post as Biz. So then I did a POUG on return leg... Anyway woke up this morning and it's posted as a reward redemption with 0 pts/ SCs... Have sent eticket and boarding pass to QFF but not liking my changes of getting anything other than Y SCs (despite being told otherwise). Have email emailed BAEC to see if they can give me something in writing to reflect the conversation I had with their agent!

Any other tips/ advice welcomed as am hanging to hit gold ASAP and this would do the trick!!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Asking BA what Qantas will credit to the Qantas Scheme , is not something that seems a good way to get accurate - BA agent, if knowing anything about programme credit, is only going to be in a position to identify what the BA scheme would credit

that s up to Qantas what it credits. I expect that it will be found that you had a paid ticket and it was upgraded and so that zero is an incorrect earning and that the underlying G fare needs to be credited

I doubt very much that it will choose to credit as business class. BA does sell normal Business class fares and thoe would have credited as desired
tristar8 likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 16, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:54 pm

Yep - I think (hope) you are right... I should have done more homework before paying for the POUG... Who am I kidding - would still have done it in LHR-MAN to get Galleries access

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.