FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   What class will post to Qantas for an upgraded British Airways flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1926141-what-class-will-post-qantas-upgraded-british-airways-flight.html)

lorkers Aug 19, 2018 11:17 pm

What class will post to Qantas for an upgraded British Airways flight?

Very simple question, but I can't find anyone asking this before.
I have two British Airways flights. One Short, one Long haul.
Currently have a BA EC FF in the PNR, just about to change to a QF FF.

Long Haul, booked into C. I use BA Avios to upgrade to F.
Will this post as C, or as a pure redemption?
Common Sense says it SHOULD post to QF as revenue C class, but when I check my ticket class, it is now listed in a redemption bucket?

Booked into Y short hail, I upgrade myself with an emailed offer, saying 'pay to upgrade to Club Europe - you will receive Business Class BA tier points'. I pay.
Still listed as Y in the booking, but online under MMB on BA I can see it is upgraded, but still listed as Y.
Will this also receive the correct Business Status Credits on QF?

Anyone with experience?

Dave Noble Aug 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Are you sure that it is worth switching to QF? Its scheme seems to be even worse than BA's

For the upgrade to Z class, you should get FF miles based on the underlying economy class

For the paid upgrade, you may get the higher rate but I don't think that you have any comeback if it credits as the underlying economy

number_6 Aug 20, 2018 1:14 am

Sometimes there are errors in posting, but 99.99% correct these days, which means you will get the C and Y fares SC as purchased, the upgrades don't affect SC earn. A decade ago BA often credited as the upgraded class to QFF, but those days are gone.

minz56 Aug 20, 2018 5:08 am

I agree, you will get the points/SC for the classes you booked (C and Y). And be prepared to have to put in a claim for the points as your flown flights will be in classes that don't earn QFF points.

lorkers Aug 21, 2018 11:40 pm

Thanks, I'll report back.
I'm putting these flights onto QF rather BA EC, as it should mean I'll get to plat this year: not much point keeping both BA Silver and QF Gold running in parallel.

wellsy Sep 3, 2018 9:39 am

If you pay cash for an upgrade (POUG) you will get the higher SC and points as it is re-ticketed. Even recently the cash upgrade booked into a redemption bucket (which sometimes happens), but still posted correctly as J.

meadowfield Sep 16, 2018 8:37 am

I have the same question. I have been offered a paid upgrade on a BA operated LHR-ARN flight. Will I receive QF status credits and points for business class or economy?

serfty Sep 16, 2018 2:12 pm

The answer is in post #2:

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30103756)
For the paid upgrade, you may get the higher rate but I don't think that you have any comeback if it credits as the underlying economy

YMMV

tristar8 Oct 16, 2018 4:30 am

Going through this myself now... I had originally bought a return fare MAN-LHR-MAN. I then went into my booking on BA site and paid for upgrades on each sector (the only paid upgrade was an offer one for 59 - they wouldn't have let me pay for a more expensive one if I tried).

After making the first upgrade I phoned and asked BA what the situation was re credits and they advised that I would get the Credits posted correctly as Business (despite the booking class now showing as U).

To confirm - I paid cash for the original fare and cash for each of the upgrades.

It came up as a 0 credit/ pts 'reward redemption' on my QFF statement today so emailed QFF with etickets (original and each paid upgrade) and boarding passes... Hoping I get a (good) resolution as they were revenue fares - you cannot pay cash for U fare types!!

tristar8 Oct 16, 2018 6:31 am

Originally Posted by wellsy (Post 30161888)
If you pay cash for an upgrade (POUG) you will get the higher SC and points as it is re-ticketed. Even recently the cash upgrade booked into a redemption bucket (which sometimes happens), but still posted correctly as J.

Mine didn't - flew MAN-LHR-MAN on Sunday. Original fare was in G (which is eligible for Y SCs in QF) then I did one POUG (out) it put it into U - called BA and after ages on hold I was told it would post as Biz. So then I did a POUG on return leg... Anyway woke up this morning and it's posted as a reward redemption with 0 pts/ SCs... Have sent eticket and boarding pass to QFF but not liking my changes of getting anything other than Y SCs (despite being told otherwise). Have email emailed BAEC to see if they can give me something in writing to reflect the conversation I had with their agent!

Any other tips/ advice welcomed as am hanging to hit gold ASAP and this would do the trick!!

Dave Noble Oct 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Asking BA what Qantas will credit to the Qantas Scheme , is not something that seems a good way to get accurate - BA agent, if knowing anything about programme credit, is only going to be in a position to identify what the BA scheme would credit

that s up to Qantas what it credits. I expect that it will be found that you had a paid ticket and it was upgraded and so that zero is an incorrect earning and that the underlying G fare needs to be credited

I doubt very much that it will choose to credit as business class. BA does sell normal Business class fares and thoe would have credited as desired

tristar8 Oct 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Yep - I think (hope) you are right... I should have done more homework before paying for the POUG... Who am I kidding - would still have done it in LHR-MAN to get Galleries access ;)