Search

kg luggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:15 pm
SFU
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Gold
kg luggage allowance

So team, I've got a 42kg luggage allowance, the other three members of the family have 30kg each.

Is it crucial at check in that each person has no more than their specific allowance in any number of bags, or can we have a total of 132kg spread across any number of bags?

QF call centre advice is ambiguous no matter how I phrase it. Any personal experience/knowledge?

Thanks,

SFU
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:25 pm

If the check in dragon follows the rules then yes the bag limits will strictly apply.

If you get a nice check in agent then they may use their discretion but don’t count on it.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:42 pm
SFU
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Gold
Pfff, Dragons.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
IME, they used to 'pool' allowances, but more and more they are tied to their computer/scales and might not.

If you have a weight allowance rather than a piece allowance, make sure you can check 42Kg of the bags on your ticket. With mutliple bags you may be able to mix and match.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Many airlines now have computer systems tied to the scales that monitor baggage allowance and require a supervisor over-ride for any deviation -- not sure if QF allows this discretion to its agents. I rarely exceed the baggage allowance but once had to have the agent call someone by phone to get an approval code, fwiw. So possible but maybe not easy.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by SFU
So team, I've got a 42kg luggage allowance, the other three members of the family have 30kg each.

Is it crucial at check in that each person has no more than their specific allowance in any number of bags, or can we have a total of 132kg spread across any number of bags?

QF call centre advice is ambiguous no matter how I phrase it. Any personal experience/knowledge?

Thanks,

SFU
I don't get why anyone would need so much baggage allowance unless:
  • they were relocating
  • they were conducting illegal business...
And for the record, if you are relocating, most of the airlines are having special rules for that... When I was migrating to Australia, I got five times as much allowance than normal ticket for free... All I had to do was to prove that I was genuinely relocating from Europe to Australia...
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: QF
If you all check in together then all that matters is if the total weight irrespective of the number of pieces does not exceed your total allowance eg you could have 12 pieces totalling 132kg.

When you checkin as one group then one person will he selected as 'head of pool'. Ideally this should be the pax with the highest status ie yourself in order to get priority bags although not as important if travelling in a premium cabin as all pax should get priority bags.

If pax were to checkin individually then those individual limits would apply eg X pieces totalling 30 kg for each family member or X pieces totalling 42 kg for yourself.

No bag should exceed 32 kgs for OH&S regulations.
serfty likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vbroucek
  • they were relocating
And for the record, if you are relocating, most of the airlines are having special rules for that... When I was migrating to Australia, I got five times as much allowance than normal ticket for free... All I had to do was to prove that I was genuinely relocating from Europe to Australia...
there are plenty of reasoms for carrying 30kg per person, none of which are illegal

You may not have a reason to take luggage , but others do
pandaperth, Mwenenzi and jridge like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by vbroucek
  • they were relocating
why must it be illegal business! I regularly return from the US with around 100Kg (my allowance is 96). I declare and pay duty (but usually they can’t be bothered processing it and tell me to pass through).

There’s some cool stuff in the US you can’t get in Australia, or at least it’s a lot cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.