Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

BNE to AKL and back same day as a status run

Old Aug 13, 18, 5:47 am
DML
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, HHonors Diamond

First time I have thought about doing this, but I am considering a status run next year which would involve me flying from BNE to AKL on QF119 arriving at 13:55 and then coming straight back on the same metal, same day at 16.25 (QF126) with hand luggage only. Its a very competitive price for the SCs I would earn with the current double SC offer but just wondering how it would pan out? Would I get BPs for both flights in BNE and then just stay in transit without entering NZ formally? I assume this is allowed (both by QF and AKL airport)?! Sorry if this is a daft question but would like to know that this is eminently doable before spending my dollars and then getting stuck. Thanks!
matthewc01 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 8:46 pm

Entirely doable. Check in online for your AKL-BNE segment. You don't even need a BP to clear transit security at AKL so if online check in didn't work you could just pick up your return BP at the gate.
DML and littlegreenman like this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 9:24 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
Entirely doable. Check in online for your AKL-BNE segment. You don't even need a BP to clear transit security at AKL so if online check in didn't work you could just pick up your return BP at the gate.
Wouldn't QF just provide BP's for both flights at BNE?
DML likes this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 10:22 pm
DML
Original Poster

Thanks. All booked last night. With a side trip up and back to ADL should net me 580 SC. Looking forward to trying out the A332 J cabin too ��
Old Aug 15, 18, 4:24 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Thanks. All booked last night. With a side trip up and back to ADL should net me 580 SC. Looking forward to trying out the A332 J cabin too ��
Would you mind of sharing the cost and your itinerary?

I always thought australia is not an idea place to start a status run
Old Aug 15, 18, 6:46 am
DML
Original Poster

Sure thing. $1980 for ADL-BNE-AKL-BNE-ADL all in J. And the A332 both ways across the pond. 290 SC as a business sale deal. 580 SCs doubled up. I’m based in ADL so perfect for me. I’m going Fri-Sat mid June but there seems to be availability in May too at very similar price. About $3.4 per SC. I fly domestically every week and use the lounges on arrival most times so WP status is really worth it for me. YMMV
eminere likes this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 7:54 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
I did the same thing the last time we had one of those double SC promotions.
ADL based here also.
Flew ADL-BNE-AKL vv but I stayed a few days in AKL with friends.
Was all B738 then.
I hit lifetime Gold on one of the return legs and the J cabin crew gave me a nice bottle of the J class Shiraz to take home.
Depending on the timetable, I don't think it is doable ex-ADL in one day unless there is a red eye sector BNE-ADL or over nighting in BNE within 24 hours?
Be aware that BNE-AKL and AKL-BNE might not be the same plane turn around.
There might be a plane swop eg the inbound might do AKL-SYD. The outbound could have come from a MEL-AKL or a SYD-AKL.
DML likes this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by DML View Post
Sure thing. $1980 for ADL-BNE-AKL-BNE-ADL all in J. And the A332 both ways across the pond. 290 SC as a business sale deal. 580 SCs doubled up. Iím based in ADL so perfect for me. Iím going Fri-Sat mid June but there seems to be availability in May too at very similar price. About $3.4 per SC. I fly domestically every week and use the lounges on arrival most times so WP status is really worth it for me. YMMV

First to admit that I've done many status runs over the years - both on QF and AA from HNL to the Caribbean in the days of instant upgrade fares..

Looking back - I was an absolute fool for doing so.

Should of used the cash for something far more constructive.

Never spend money on an unnecessary journey for status - would advise my younger self of such...

If you are flying domestically an Amex card gets you into VA lounges. Case closed.

The money you spend on status runs can buy points when on offer for business / first personal travel and thus status irrelevant.

Status these days is an utter fool's errand.
Beano and shuuy like this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 7:12 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Platy View Post
First to admit that I've done many status runs over the years - both on QF and AA from HNL to the Caribbean in the days of instant upgrade fares..

Looking back - I was an absolute fool for doing so.

Should of used the cash for something far more constructive.

Never spend money on an unnecessary journey for status - would advise my younger self of such...

If you are flying domestically an Amex card gets you into VA lounges. Case closed.

The money you spend on status runs can buy points when on offer for business / first personal travel and thus status irrelevant.

Status these days is an utter fool's errand.
I agree.
Beano and jrfsp320 like this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 4:50 pm

Programs: QFWP/LTG, VAWP, NZ*G, OZD, NH*G, Marriott Plat, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Depends on how much you love flying.

I love getting on a plane and going somewhere for a day. For me, it is relaxation/sightseeing/"vacation". If it helps provide future lounge visits for when I have to travel Y for work, so much the better.

Travelling on "status runs" has allowed me to see every corner of NZ, most of Australia and much of Asia (as well as a good chunk of the US/Europe). Most of it was completely unnecessary, but I don't regret it.
fakecd likes this.
Old Aug 18, 18, 11:16 pm

Programs: Qantas
I got absolutely grilled for this last year - although I overnighted in AKL. The immigration agent wasn't even going to let me in, I had to explain the concept of a status run and it was lucky her supervisor was familiar with the concept.
Old Aug 19, 18, 3:57 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Justin Thomas View Post
I got absolutely grilled for this last year - although I overnighted in AKL. The immigration agent wasn't even going to let me in, I had to explain the concept of a status run and it was lucky her supervisor was familiar with the concept.
Strange - I am sure a lot of people do overnight trips from Oz for business reasons, so not sure why they took such an interest in you!!

The OP should be able to stay airside so hopefully won't have this problem.
Old Jan 23, 19, 11:08 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
just bumping an old topic back up. I'm planning a nested ticket (did someone say that's not allowed? ) so

Ticket 1: XXX-SYD-AKL arriving QF143 at 14:35 J
Ticket 2: AKL-SYD-XXX departing on QF146 at 15:45 J

I'm not sure on 2 accounts,
1) Would QF not allow me to obtain boarding pass for the ticket 2 AKL-SYD segment upon checking at "XXX" for ticket 1 XXX-to AKL, because it's so obvious it's a nested segments and i'm not sure if they care or have a policy about this.
2) Say I do have boarding pass, is 70minutes airside transfer at AKL for turn-around possible? Every time i've flown out of AKL had overnight stay, so not familiar with turn-around situation (do the transfer staff raise red flag if I got of SYD-AKL to get back on AKL-SYD ticket?)
Old Jan 23, 19, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
No checked Luggage and you will likely be fine. It's simple transit security - no BP required. Max 15 minutes.

If you cannot OLCI for AKL-LAX, you should be able to do so at the Qantas lounge.
Old Jan 24, 19, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
just bumping an old topic back up. I'm planning a nested ticket (did someone say that's not allowed? ) so

Ticket 1: XXX-SYD-AKL arriving QF143 at 14:35 J
Ticket 2: AKL-SYD-XXX departing on QF146 at 15:45 J
If these are 2 x one way tickets, then there is no nesting - with trips to NZ, 2 x one ways are often, ime, cheaper than a r/t

Search this Thread