Wiki Posts
Search

Gold yanked - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Angry Gold yanked - thoughts?

Hi there. I’ve been a Gold FF for a few years, but last year I flew less and fully expected to be downgraded at the end of June. However, when I logged into qff on the 3rd of July I was presented with:

I can’t post the screenshot inline because I’m a new member. It showed the Congratulations Hugh, you’ve retained Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold status banner

Sweet! And there was nothing to suggest otherwise. I proceeded to book a domestic flight with a Sydney connection, choosing slightly longer layovers so I could have a latte etc. The flights get ticketed, 3rd of July:

I can’t post the screenshot inline because I’m a new member but this one was the E-ticket with Frequent Flyer Gold / oneworld Sapphire

That’s the main E-Ticket itinerary.

I probably would have booked this with another airline to save money if I wasn’t Gold and could enjoy the lounge with my family (and earn the extra points).

Anyway, here’s where things start to go off the rails. A few weeks later as I was routinely deleting some of the mountain of FF spam I get from Qantas I noticed one of the mastheads had silver and not gold, so I quickly log in to qff and sure enough it has me down as silver. I’ve been back and forwards on this with them via support email, but their not budging, I’m silver now and that’s that.

One interaction I had they did apologise for any inconvenience caused by an error appeared in your online account but my understanding that the ticketing is done in a more core system so I don’t think that claim is entirely true.

I’ve found this whole experience incredibly frustrating and wondering if anyone on here could relate and provide me any advice? I honestly wouldn’t have minded being downgraded, but to give with one hand and take away with the other is blow I’m having trouble accepting.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
So you want a refund for your ticket or the Gold back?

AFAICT - the Gold is doomed for sure. Seeking refund may be easier.

Also - when in doubt, ACCC.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
I think the Original Poster has all the answers he needs from the thread he posted on Australian Frequent Flyer.
moa999, Often1, mannej and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What do you want?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by hughevans
but last year I flew less and fully expected to be downgraded at the end of June.
you knew it all along so you cant seek remedy on their error knowing it was an error on their part
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You failed to meet the criteria to retain status and were demoted in line with the terms - that you may have had incorrect information saying that you had not been downgraded doesn't impact this

The flights were purchased to get from A-B and it seems that there is nothing to suggest that the airline will not provide the service

That you might have booked another airline really doesn't matter - you did book Qantas. Status drops do not occur on the 1st of the month, but a few days later - I assume to allow some time for any last minute points to credit

You can enter the lounge yourself with your single visit entry earned by holding silver status
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:26 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Did you fail to get the 4 ~?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
If Qantas won't come to the party, you could give the Airline Consumer Advocate a go, see what they say.

While I don;t think you have much of a chance, you can give them a try.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Suspect the OP won't be back. Plenty of commentary on the other forum.

Of note, OP will get two electronic lounge passes as Silver, so can still access the lounge.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I also heavily reduced my travel for work last year and noticed the same thing that it showed a 'congratulations you've retained gold' for several days before reverting to silver. Must be a quirk of the system. However it did give me the last 6 months of a Qantas Club membership which I started 7 years ago before I became gold.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:00 am

usually you know you cannot be gold, so people usually proactively talk to the FF team before the due date, and surrender 80k points for an extra year of gold...

but then again, at least QF has soft landing, MPC you become zero from the DM if you don't fly. motivation to keep working hard ? I don't know...
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Yes the soft landing is great ...not like some hotel loyalty schemes (eg Hilton) where you can crash to no status in period!

Last edited by Beano; Aug 13, 2018 at 4:59 am
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
link?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.