Search

AA/QF LAX-SYD-MEL Connection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
AA/QF LAX-SYD-MEL Connection

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice about int'l to domestic connections through SYD. I am arriving from LAX on AA and I have 1h45 to connect to a domestic QF flight (all other options were super expensive). I am aware I need to get through immigration, customs, baggage transfer, the bus, and security as well (I might be missing something). I have never flown through Sydney before so I am a bit nervous about making it. Should I be proactive and phone AA to see if I can change to a later QF flight? Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
If you're on one ticket I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many flights SYD-MEL. Miss yours and you'll get put on another.

Spike
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Process is:
  • immigration, (after which you collect your bags and head to ...)
  • customs, (after which you enter the landside arrivals hall, head to the right and follow the signs along to the end and find the 'seamless' connection facility outside where you recheck your luggage at the ...)
  • baggage transfer, (after which you do ...)
  • security and (wait for)
  • the bus (to take you to T3 from where you find your gate [or the Qantas business lounge if you have time]).

If you are running late, it will be at the seamless connection facility where you recheck your bags where they would rebook you on a later flight.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above on 1 ticket will not be a problem.
Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It generally takes about 1 hour to do all that and get from int'l to domestic terminal, so an easy connection if your flight lands on time. Easier than similar connection at LHR or even JFK ime.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the replies everyone.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
Easier than similar connection at LHR or even JFK ime.
LHR would not require customs clearance/rechecking of bags for an INT/DOM connection ... this is harder than having to do so at SYD?

Regards,

BD
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:06 am
Original Poster

For future reference, I was able to do this connection with two checked bags and two carryon bags fairly easily with about 20-30 minutes to spare. The LAX flight arrived on time and neither the immigration nor customs lines were long. Thanks again for the advice.
serfty and lokijuh like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:37 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by BD1959
LHR would not require customs clearance/rechecking of bags for an INT/DOM connection ... this is harder than having to do so at SYD?

Regards,

BD
That is offset by the horrendously long security lines at LHR 99% of the time UK does have the quaint system of customs watching you at your destination domestic airport behind one-way mirrors and CCTV along with selecting bags to inspect prior to baggage delivery (which can delay your domestic arrival quite substantially). I've been waiting for 20 years for LHR to fix their security line length, so I expect it wont improve in my lifetieme. SYD/MEL are pretty fast by comparison, even when under high load.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by number_6
UK does have the quaint system of customs watching you at your destination domestic airport behind one-way mirrors and CCTV along with selecting bags to inspect prior to baggage delivery (which can delay your domestic arrival quite substantially).
This "quaint" system is everywhere in the UK, not just after a connection to an onward domestic flight, and it means that for most passengers there are no queues to exit customs and therefore a speedier exit. Unlike in the US, for example, where the reliance on the collection of paper often constitutes a significant additional bottleneck in the process of getting out of any airport after an international arrival, adding to the misery after already enduring immigration queues.
og likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.