Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas FF Rewards - Don't promote loyalty

Qantas FF Rewards - Don't promote loyalty

Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Platy
So the customer would ordinarily be able to have an open sector and the QF agent could have offered to change the booking before flights taken..
The poster isn't suggesting that an open jaw is the issue, just that now that the booking has been made, the change to make the r/t into an open jaw is not permitted

so Qf should have been able to offer a solution before travel commenced by CHANGING the booking or splitting or whatver..,that would be good customer service!, right ?!
I don't see that the terms suggest such a thing - where are you reading that the Origin & destinations can be changed?

are folk claiming this latter rule is:

1) Industry standard for reward flights
2) widely known
3) that cash paid itineraries have different TCs if partner airlines involved

i must admit that in many years of the FF game I never realised that my ability to change a Qf award may be affected by which airlines featured in the itinerary!
I think that what is standard is purely dependent upon the terms of the scheme. revenue tickets all have their own rules and there is no standard rule that applies - some are fully flexible whilst some allow no changes and no refunds

Different FF schemes have different rules on what can and cannot be done

what matters is what the rules of the FF scheme being used are

It is not bad customer service to tell a customer that what the customer wants is not permitted, if what is being requested is not permitted

It seems quite in line with the list of permitted changes
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by benglim88
Yes. I understand Qantas is a business, but customer service is what makes your business successful. Not allowing you to cancel a leg of a flight even if it's a connecting flight is stupid.

Moral of the story- don't book connecting flights with classic rewards, you'll get screwed over if you have to make a change for whatever reason.

Qantas, your lack of customer service in today's day and age really explains why you aren't doing so well financially (admittedly your FF rewards program must be making you tons of money)
I am not sure what rock you have been hiding under, but I can bet you that AJ is quite happy with the financial position of QF at this point in time. It is a bug bear of mine when the "customer" spews ignorance but hides behind the Customer is always right mantra...
eminere likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The poster isn't suggesting that an open jaw is the issue, just that now that the booking has been made, the change to make the r/t into an open jaw is not permitted

I don't see that the terms suggest such a thing - where are you reading that the Origin & destinations can be changes
but you can change the origin and destination before travel.

i just did that twice in the last few weeks!

i changed a SIN DXB FCO on EK first to a HKG DXB FCO to avoid the excessive fuel surcharges

and then changed that again to HKG DXB SEZ as plans changed

points and cash adjustments were duly processed

in neither case did the Qf agent suggest this was against the rules

iIRC the same pnr was maintained

In fact this is the preferred method to avoid losing access to your points fior weeks at a time by cancelling and rebooking rewards originating from certain ports such as dxb and hkg where cancellations are referred to those local offices rather than change the existing booking

the rules you quote state that segments and airlines can be changed

so I’m still trying to understand why the Qf agent couldn’t muster a solution for the OP and thereby provide customer service

Assuming we’re talking before travel commenced
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by mannej
I am not sure what rock you have been hiding under, but I can bet you that AJ is quite happy with the financial position of QF at this point in time. It is a bug bear of mine when the "customer" spews ignorance but hides behind the Customer is always right mantra...
perhaps we should fully clarify the issues at hand before launching into an unnecessarily disrespectful tirade at the OP ?!

Surely no need for such an arrogant and demeaning attitude! Certain folk herein have been proven wrong before after dumping on the less informed
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
perhaps we should fully clarify the issues at hand before launching into an unnecessarily disrespectful tirade at the OP ?!
That's what I tried to do at post #7 above, OP has been silent since.

Regards,

BD
mannej and eminere like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: QF

Surely no need for such an arrogant and demeaning attitude! Certain folk herein have been proven wrong before after dumping on the less informed
Yet this ignores the attitude of these one-post ranters who disappear into thin air once they have got their vent out into cyberspace. The OP feels wronged, but adding fluff for the sake of it just detracts from the credibility sorry.
eminere likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I don't understand why some people are so hostile, I don't know the poster, I don't care that someone attacks QF (they're a big organisation, they can take the occassional bad word or two) , a patient explanation might go a long way rather than simply asserting one's superiority. If the OP doesn't come back. So what? Someone else might read something and learn.

There are two issues, most have addressed the first issue of not allowing to "skip a sector". Something many people do not know, that skipping a sector will cause the ticket to be cancelled. Many assume OK, I've got a ticket from A to B to C, so what if I skip A to B? The airline saves money that way. They don't realise they could be paying less (ad sometimes a lot less) than someone traveling B to C. Many outside the commercial aviation geek world may not know this.

On the second issue, of not allowing cancellation of the PEN-KUL-SIN sectors, it's surely more complicated. If travel has commenced on the ticket already, according to T&C, then the OP can't cancel or change any sector (other than date changes), cancellation only allowed " prior to commencement of any travel". However QF are willing to cancel the SIN-SYD sector if the KUL-PEN-SIN sector is cancelled, so that would suggest travel hasn't commenced on the ticket, and thus cancellation is indeed allowed. This therefore implies hidden city ticketing ...

Originally Posted by Hvr
For some further understanding of why you can't just cancel one leg of a booking (paid or reward) google 'hidden city ticketing'.
One thing I was unaware of that hidden city ticketing actually applies to award bookings across different airlines. It would seem from the advice, that the OP can cancel PEN-KUL, which would be on MH, so no hidden city ticketing there (completely different carriers). I therefore assume KUL-SIN would be on 3K, not MH, which must be linked to the SIN-SYD sector. I guess, although different carriers, and an award ticket, because of the ownership structure, hidden city ticketing may be an issue here,. It would be 28K for the KUL-SIN-SYD journey, but the system mustn't allow dropping one sector and repricing of SIN-SYD (even though it would be the same 28K) and therefore need to cancel the whole ticket.

Or maybe on solution (not offered so far) is HUACA. You never know!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I don't understand why some people are so hostile, I don't know the poster, !
When someone comes on throwing a tantum about customer relations not doing what he wants, when what he wants the agent is saying is not permitted and how that is bad customer service, that is not something that is likely to be a great starting position for responses

Is FT here to assist in airlines and their schemes or is it a nursery ?

Post a query about whether the airline is correct or what might be done without stamping feet and there might be less hostility
trooper and eminere like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:37 am

When someone comes on throwing a tantum about customer relations not doing what he wants, when what he wants the agent is saying is not permitted and how that is bad customer service, that is not something that is likely to be a great starting position for responses

Post a query about whether the airline is correct or what might be done without stamping feet and there might be less hostility

Oh Dave..cannot you not see the irony and hypocrisy?!

Regulars herein themselves going into a rant of their own about an OP's post and in so doing at best being ill mannered and disrespectful and at worst personally insulting.

The OP's rant is directed at an airline not an individual.

And the irony that OP is right that QF failed to provide customer service because the agent could have advised the option to change the flight (within the rules)!

Virtually everyone herein has been plain wrong, including yourself, yet none of you have the good grace to admit your own ignorance or misinterpretation of the TCs.

IMHO you should be respected for at least adopting an evidence based approach...even if you were wrong.

The same arrogance has been expressed at other OPs and on other threads, including many refusing to accept that credit card transfers are not activity for points expiry.

No apology - no humility.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by mannej
Yet this ignores the attitude of these one-post ranters who disappear into thin air once they have got their vent out into cyberspace. The OP feels wronged, but adding fluff for the sake of it just detracts from the credibility sorry.
Why would a first poster even consider posting again on FT when they are personally attacked by a mob?

Rant? Each one of you attacking the OP is themselves engaging in a rant. Double standards.

Credibility? Only Dave has attempted to validate their counter opinion by citing specific TCs. Most herein are making ridiculous accusations about the OP's ignorance, assumed positions on "big bad corporates' etc., comments about QF agents having to deal with customers like the OP.

Nasty, unjustified, stuff.

And despite your attacks, it appears that the QF agent DID FAIL to find solution which could be mustered within the TCs.

So QF gets a zero for customer service.

Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:52 am

Dave, ALL hostility is unjustified.

What is this reference to nursery supposed to be about?

You yourself misinterpreted the TCs (on this and other occasions) with your extensive experience and knowledge, so how can a non FF be expected to master the complexity?

The answer is that QF itself should be facilitating the customer's choices - that is good customer service. That apparently didn't happen.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I don't understand why some people are so hostile, I don't know the poster, I don't care that someone attacks QF (they're a big organisation, they can take the occassional bad word or two) , a patient explanation might go a long way rather than simply asserting one's superiority. If the OP doesn't come back. So what? Someone else might read something and learn!
THANK YOU!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:58 am

W
Eh? The OP's post isn't exactly a tirade?!

So FT is subject to mob rule then?!

I can't believe you are attempting to justify such hostility and lay the blame for such t the feet of the OP!

FT is even more elitist and arrogant than I realised.

Last edited by Platy; Aug 8, 2018 at 1:07 am
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:31 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Closed for moderator review. And by the way, the style here is not okay. [/mod hat]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.