Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

What happens when QF cancels a flight?

What happens when QF cancels a flight?

Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If you want to do that, just phone AS and pay the AS award change fee to an alternative award flight (if available)

QF or AS will not change for free just because maybe a flight could be cancelled on the day in the future.
Has QF401 been cancelled on a Saturday or Sunday (not that it will make any difference)?

If there is a published schedule change that is a different situation.

You are over thinking all this.
I am quite happy with the existing itinerary.
As said above, QF did cancel lots of QF401 recently. I just want to know if it does happen to my QF401 what my options are, that's it.
It's not overthinking, just prepare for this unexpected situation. Hopefully it won't happen, fingers crossed.
And thank you for your reply
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by liveinsydney
I am quite happy with the existing itinerary.
As said above, QF did cancel lots of QF401 recently. I just want to know if it does happen to my QF401 what my options are, that's it.
It's not overthinking, just prepare for this unexpected situation. Hopefully it won't happen, fingers crossed.
And thank you for your reply
Might be a good idea to go to the QF website and the 'manage my booking' tab to enter your AU mobile plus email address for notifications should there be schedule changes or cancellations.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozflygirl747
Might be a good idea to go to the QF website and the 'manage my booking' tab to enter your AU mobile plus email address for notifications should there be schedule changes or cancellations.
Thank you ozflygirl747. Updated already. Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
If it is cancelled on the day so that you miss your connection, then QF will handle and rebook you as appropriate which may mean rebooking you at SYD or asking you to fly to MEL. Connections at MEL are much easier than at SYD as it is in one building - you need to do the security and customs thing. They may rebook you on another carrier depending on the options available on the day. No matter what, refuse a Jetstar option.

QF have lots of flights to the USA each day from syd, Mel and bne. You are there first thing, so I would be surprised if they cannot find another option without too much inconvenience. As long as LAX is your final destination, if you have an onward flight on another booking then that would be a concern.

Best approach is to be aware of what your options are on QF and other carriers that you view as good options and then be ready to suggest them if needed. I would suggest getting to the airport in good time.

As long as the issue is created by QF such as cancel or delay on day of travel you will not need to go back to AS. If you are very concerned then depending on your situation and available change the Syd/Mel flight to the night before and stay at or around Mel airport. I would though see this as unnecessary.

At at the end of the day, you have a through booking, one one carrier all within MCT and along with many other people every day of the week the odds are all will be fine.

Enjoy the flight and don’t over think it.

KF
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Hi Mwenenzi, you are correct. I just wanna to know what normally will happen and what my options are.

As you can see lots of QF401 were cancelled recently.
i just did few checks most of the time, if 401 is cancelled , they have qf425 (615am wed) or qf471 (615am monday) and qf405 (630am all weekday) and qf 403 (645am all weekday) to be rebooked on. i gather you travel sunday and next flight is at 640 for JQ or 7am on qf409 for it... as far as i can see jul 22 sunday cancellation and you are stressed as a result.

but dude you are overworrying it... it is so much cheaper for QF to cancel a flight and rebook a random.connecting pax to other flights... they can fly you to BNE connection (i did 6am once on satuday and J cabin was half connecting pax to Lax QF15 1015am departure) or fly you QF11... just make sure you ask for Original Routing Credit if you fly direct for extra SC

the extent you are paranoid, i would worry about Taxi to Syd airport crashing more!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
If it is cancelled on the day so that you miss your connection, then QF will handle and rebook you as appropriate which may mean rebooking you at SYD or asking you to fly to MEL. Connections at MEL are much easier than at SYD as it is in one building - you need to do the security and customs thing. They may rebook you on another carrier depending on the options available on the day. No matter what, refuse a Jetstar option.

QF have lots of flights to the USA each day from syd, Mel and bne. You are there first thing, so I would be surprised if they cannot find another option without too much inconvenience. As long as LAX is your final destination, if you have an onward flight on another booking then that would be a concern.

Best approach is to be aware of what your options are on QF and other carriers that you view as good options and then be ready to suggest them if needed. I would suggest getting to the airport in good time.

As long as the issue is created by QF such as cancel or delay on day of travel you will not need to go back to AS. If you are very concerned then depending on your situation and available change the Syd/Mel flight to the night before and stay at or around Mel airport. I would though see this as unnecessary.

At at the end of the day, you have a through booking, one one carrier all within MCT and along with many other people every day of the week the odds are all will be fine.

Enjoy the flight and don’t over think it.

KF
Much appreciated for your reply. I will keep in mind refusing JQ option.
I will keep an eye on my email and SMS for the schedule change and for sure I will arrive at SYD T3 at 04:45am in the morning when it opens.
I am quite happy to fly to MEL and join QF93. Hope everything will be fine.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fakecd
i just did few checks most of the time, if 401 is cancelled , they have qf425 (615am wed) or qf471 (615am monday) and qf405 (630am all weekday) and qf 403 (645am all weekday) to be rebooked on. i gather you travel sunday and next flight is at 640 for JQ or 7am on qf409 for it... as far as i can see jul 22 sunday cancellation and you are stressed as a result.

but dude you are overworrying it... it is so much cheaper for QF to cancel a flight and rebook a random.connecting pax to other flights... they can fly you to BNE connection (i did 6am once on satuday and J cabin was half connecting pax to Lax QF15 1015am departure) or fly you QF11... just make sure you ask for Original Routing Credit if you fly direct for extra SC

the extent you are paranoid, i would worry about Taxi to Syd airport crashing more!
Thank you fakecd.
You are correct. I will be flying out on Sunday, which means if QF401 gets cancelled, QF won't have any options to move me to MEL catching up QF93 anyway.
The recent cancellations on QF401 did start off the alarm and that's the reason I posted this thread to explore my options in case it happens.
It's not an issue to position myself to the airport as it has been sorted out already. LOL.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
........it has been sorted out already...
Care to elaborate?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og

Care to elaborate?
Hi og, Since it's Sunday, a friend of mine is going to give me a lift. ( I am living in Sydney)
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:08 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Hi og, Since it's Sunday, a friend of mine is going to give me a lift. ( I am living in Sydney)
Sorry, I assumed you had sorted flights rather than how to get to the airport! Hope the flights work out ..
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og

Sorry, I assumed you had sorted flights rather than how to get to the airport! Hope the flights work out ..
oh.... Sorry for confusion. haven't heard anything for the flights yet. hope everything will be fine. anyway I'll report back how it goes in due course.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Even though yesterday QF401 was cancelled, today's is fine. You know what, there are lots of crew onboard to be positioned to MEL including pilots and flight attendants.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.