Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF MEL-SYD is second most profitable airline route in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:19 am
QG
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, SQ TPPS

According to this article, QF earns over $800mil per annum on this route alone.

Impressive!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by QG
According to this article, QF earns over $800mil per annum on this route alone.

Impressive!
The article is complete nonsense when it is entitled World's Most Profitable Flights.

Profit and revenue are not the same, as any schoolboy knows.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
And I still wonder to what extent even the revenue figures are reliable - the BA board is also discussing this: Highest revenue airline routes in the world
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg
Profit and revenue are not the same, as any schoolboy knows.
The methodology of the revenue is in doubt
I dought any airline will publish revenue or make it available. More so where the MEL-SYD flight is part of a longer trip (MEL-SYD-XXX)

AA's LAX-JFK route one of the world's most profitable
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
The subject of the article is revenue, not profit.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The methodology of the revenue is in doubt
I dought any airline will publish revenue or make it available.....l
Actually they do and OAG has access to these metrics. It is allowed to be revealed in aggregate and not as individual results, but airlines are also required by some governments to file these (used for decisions on route allocations and air treaty capacity). QF has basically doubled SYD-MEL revenue since the fare war with Virgin ended : Similarly for BA thanks to its JV arrangements. But the OAG metrics exclude freight revenue, which dramatically affects profitability of some routes. CX for example makes a lot on freight, so does QF for trans-pacific. It wouldn't surprise me if the highest total profit route was HKG-LHR on CX. Of course profit is also affected by capital depreciation and tax rates, making it a meaningless metric for airline efficiency.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:22 pm

KInda makes sense. MEL-SYD is one of the worlds busiest air routes so they can tune the flights just so. E.g. if they remove a flight, there is enough empty seats an hour either side to take the people. If they upguage there is also enough people flying the return to keep yield high.

That said it is the main trunks like these with high yields that support the regional routes etc. Which are needed to keep pax who take two or more flight journeys on their network and not another airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.