Search

YYZ-LAX-MEL Return. QF in/out of LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
YYZ-LAX-MEL Return. QF in/out of LAX

Need advice please!!
Compared to Air NZ, PE pricing is higher on QF.
Planning to buy Y tickets first and then upgrade to PE for the LAX-MEL-LAX segments only.
  • Will I be better off than buying a PE ticker straight away from start?
  • Any pitfalls I should be watching out for?
  • Timing on how long to wait before upgrading?
Planned journey is in Nov 2018.
Thanks and looking to hear from the experts at this...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrades on Air NZ & QF are far from guaranteed
Do you have QF points and QF status?
The results of the QF upgrade lotteries are finally know when you check in.
Some times you see the QF points taken from your QF ff account some hours before.

If you want to fly PE buy it with money.
Or a straight out PE award with ff miles/points if you can get one.

AA may have PE on the LAX-SYD-LAX route

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 4, 2018 at 7:57 am
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Upgrades on Air NZ & QF are far from guaranteed
Do you have QF points and QF status?
Some times you see the QF points taken from your QF ff account some hours before.

If you want to fly PE buy it with money.
Or a straight out PE award with ff miles/points if you can get one.

AA may have PE on the LAX-SYD-LAX route
Thanks, I am hoping QF provides me an option to upgrade once the Y ticket is done, on the QF App. Provide me with a $$ value for the upgrade which I would do on a heartbeat.

On a similar YYZ-FRA-MAA-FRA-YYZ with LH, they offered by $$ upgrades as soon as I booked on Y. I went PE on FRA-MAA-FRA. only - worked cheaper. Took the Y first row for a nominal ($100+) for YYZ-FRA and then PE for the longer leg FRA-MAA.
Looking to do a similar thing - Fly Y on YYZ-LAX and go PE on LAX-MEL-LAX segments.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B787_YYZ
Thanks, I am hoping QF provides me an option to upgrade once the Y ticket is done, on the QF App. Provide me with a $$ value for the upgrade which I would do on a heartbeat..
In normal FT jargon/usage that is not an upgrade, but a fare change.
On FT an upgrade is usually taken to mean with ff miles or a ffp instrument (SWU, etc) or free (due to status) or an upgrade auction system (like http://www.plusgrade.com/ or equal).

With QF I would expect that to be a full fare difference, plus possibly an extra change fee.
If it was less than the full PE fare no-one would buy a PE fare for money.
Some cheap economy fares may not be able to be changed/upfared.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 4, 2018 at 11:39 pm Reason: added upgrade auction
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

In normal FT jargon/usage that is not an upgrade, but a fare change.
On FT an upgrade is usually taken to mean with ff miles or a ffp instrument (SWU, etc) or free (due to status)

With QF I would expect that to be a full fare difference, plus possibly an extra change fee.
If it was less than the full PE fare no-one would buy a PE fare for money.
Some cheap economy fares may not be able to be changed/upfared.
Great points, Thank you.
I am checking with the TA and will post how it goes.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
... sometimes in advance of checking-in, sometimes afterwards (I've had an upgrade come through after check-in but prior to entering the Lounge - where the BP was swapped).

The point Mwenenzi is making though holds: on an International Upgrade, you are unlikely to know whether the request has been successful until sometime within the week - or up to when - you fly, hence "lottery".

If you really want PE with QF then the only way to ensure is to purchase outright. Other airlines may offer the possibility of an upgrade at a cost cheaper than outright purchase (and I include a ticket reissue in that) but those offers, too, tend to be lotteries eg BA's POUG.

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by B787_YYZ
Thanks, I am hoping QF provides me an option to upgrade once the Y ticket is done, on the QF App. Provide me with a $$ value for the upgrade which I would do on a heartbeat.

On a similar YYZ-FRA-MAA-FRA-YYZ with LH, they offered by $$ upgrades as soon as I booked on Y. I went PE on FRA-MAA-FRA. only - worked cheaper. Took the Y first row for a nominal ($100+) for YYZ-FRA and then PE for the longer leg FRA-MAA.
Looking to do a similar thing - Fly Y on YYZ-LAX and go PE on LAX-MEL-LAX segments.
Qantas do not operate in the same way as Lufthansa. They are completely separate companies.

Qantas do not generally offer an opportunity to purchase a cash upgrade from Y to PE on international routes (they sometimes do offer the ability to bid for an upgrade on domestic routes -- it is extremely rare on international routes).

If you are hoping for one, you are going to be sorely disappointed.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by levelnine
Qantas do not generally offer an opportunity to purchase a cash upgrade from Y to PE on international routes (they sometimes do offer the ability to bid for an upgrade on domestic routes -- it is extremely rare on international routes).
QF will happily take money for an upfare Y to PE at the full fare difference.

QF do have a bid upgrade system (another form of the QF lottery) FT thread :---> Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories
QF link ----> Qantas Upgrades | Qantas
Bid Now Upgrade offers will be considered after requests for Classic Upgrade Rewards have been processed and confirmed.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:54 am

QF do have a bid upgrade system (another form of the QF lottery) FT thread
As I said, and as that thread will confirm, they are extremely rare for international flights. If you are relying on the bid upgrade system to get an upgrade, expect to be disappointed 95 times out of 100.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All. Great discussion and advice.
I ended up booking PE. Upfront. So much more relaxed now.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.