Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Status with QF

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
Yes - earn 700 SC's before the end of June 2019 and get Qantas based Sapphire status.

Thank you so much for clarifying!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just be aware that being UK-based you may struggle in future years to fly the four QF/JQ/3K sectors annually as a pre-condition to climbing the status ladder given a JQ short haul flight has the same qualification as a long haul J-class flight.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My partner on the other hand has EK Skywards. I haven't flown with EK before but having QF FF opens the flexibility of earning QF Points and SC but due to the QF-EK Alliance; just gotta make sure I get flights with EK under the QF code I believe?
  • Flying a QF marketed (flight number) on a EK operated aircraft earns QF SC's & QF points
  • Flying a EK marketed (flight number) on a EK operated aircraft earns QF points
  • Flying a QF marketed (flight number) on a EK operated aircraft earns BA avios (unsure about TP's--> details in the BAEC web site & thread in the BA forum)

As several posts above SC's are reset to zero at the start of your membership year. The climb to status requalification/qualification starts again.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Just be aware that being UK-based you may struggle in future years to fly the four QF/JQ/3K sectors annually as a pre-condition to climbing the status ladder given a JQ short haul flight has the same qualification as a long haul J-class flight.
Yes, I have read the T&Cs . With our travel plans in the future, this will be easily attained. Have another QF and 3K flight planned for next year.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
  • Flying a QF marketed (flight number) on a EK operated aircraft earns QF SC's & QF points
  • Flying a EK marketed (flight number) on a EK operated aircraft earns QF points
  • Flying a QF marketed (flight number) on a EK operated aircraft earns BA avios (unsure about TP's--> details in the BAEC web site & thread in the BA forum)

As several posts above SC's are reset to zero at the start of your membership year. The climb to status requalification/qualification starts again.

Yes I am aware. Retaining Silver with QF will require 250 SCs and retaining Gold will need 600 SC. Thank you for clarifying

Last edited by J343; Jul 1, 2018 at 6:00 am
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by J343
Yes, I have read the T&Cs . With our travel plans in the future, this will be easily attained. Have another QF and 3K flight planned for next year.
Hi J343,

Just be aware of the fare-bundles required on all Jetstar-marketed flights required in order to earn QF SCs and Points. Also note: QF Status is not generally recognized on Jetstar services.

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BD1959
..Just be aware of the fare-bundles required on all Jetstar-marketed flights required in order to earn QF SCs and Points. Also note: QF Status is not generally recognized on Jetstar services.
But a small exception for JQ NZ domestic flights (no SC's on JQ NZ starter fares)
https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...as-and-jetstar
~ Qantas Points are earned on Jetstar New Zealand Domestic Flights booked on all Starter Fares.
And an exception to the exception
If you are travelling on a domestic Jetstar flight within New Zealand that connects to an international Jetstar flight, you will not earn Qantas Points or Status Credits unless you purchase an Economy Starter Plus, Economy Starter Max or Business Max fare with Jetstar.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by J343
As I said, I am taking enough flights with BA to maintain my Silver status irrespective of signing up with QF FF. ...

... Me and my partner want to have flexibility when we travel, hemce having elite status from 2 airlines might be a good idea for us. Yes, QF has good earn rate and bad burn rate but what we really are after are the travel benefits.
I'm not sure whether you're now planning to migrate from BAEC to QFFF, swapping your BA Silver (OW Sapphire) for QF Gold (also OW Sapphire).

If your thinking is still that you will still keep your BA Silver while getting QF Gold, then I would again ask what the point of this is. If you hold BA Silver, you get very few additional benefits from being either QF Silver or QF Gold. I don't really understand what "flexibility" you think you'll benefit from if you have QF status in addition to BA status, given that they're both in oneworld so you will be treated similarly whether you're one or the other.

Moreover, if you're flying enough to have BA Silver and QF Gold concurrently, you might be able to try to earn BA Gold (OW Emerald); now that would open up another layer of travel benefits (both when flying on BA and when flying on QF).

I'm concurrently BA Gold and QF Silver, and frankly the QF Silver is currently pretty much worthless to me, even though I am still flying to Oz/NZ from time to time. I think that the QF Silver would only really be useful again if QF were to leave oneworld. I think it'll be worth you thinking about all of the options and what you'd really be getting out of holding two concurrent higher-tier memberships.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You cannot equate QF SC to BA TP at 1 to 1.
Need to look how many SC/TP needed for status & re-qualification.

A Jetstar bundle earns at full economy rates, where as most/many QF flights earn the discounted economy rate.

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Indeed. I get treated better on QF as a BA Emerald than I did when I was a WP. BA treated me better when I was a QF WP than I do now as a GGL...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Perhaps one consideration is that with QFF status (SG/WP) you get into QFF lounges (assuming they are open) before JQ and 3K flights. And Max bundle earning with QFF status is "rather better" than corresponding QF flights. (I wonder why 3K no longer fly PER-SIN direct? Though the QF A330 is far better plane/seating than 3K A320s).

Happy wandering
Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.