Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Arriving in LAX the night before and joining QF11 the next day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving in LAX the night before and joining QF11 the next day?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Question Arriving in LAX the night before and joining QF11 the next day?

Hi to all,

I last visited this forum a few years ago where I read a few reports of passengers booking a flight from LAX to JFK on QF11 as part of a multi-leg ticket after arriving in LAX a few days earlier for a stopover.
It was said here that the Qantas booking engine should not have been providing QF11 as an option to fly between LAX and JFK, unless you were arriving into LAX on QF93/QF11/QF15 that same morning on the same ticket, as Qantas was not accredited to carry 'domestic' passengers.
Apparently passengers who attempted to check into QF11 at LAX were told it could not be done, despite already having the ticket purchased. For these passengers Qantas then booked them onto the next available flight to New York flying with American Airlines (or Alaska?) seemingly without too much hassle.

Fast forward to the present day and I find myself looking at making a similar booking, with the difference being the somewhat recent introduction of an evening-arrival flight into LAX from Australia - QF95.

For my multi-leg booking I am looking at flying QF95, arriving LAX on Thursday evening (spending the night at a hotel presumably my bags won't be through checked?) - with the 2nd flight being QF11 - departing LAX the following morning (Friday).

Is this connection now possible or is still considered a separate ticket and therefore ineligible to check in to QF11 at LAX (with the Qantas website's booking engine still providing QF11 as a connection option when it shouldn't be) ??

Cheers.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: OW Emerald
There's a big difference between "a few days" and "less than 24 hours". Latter case should be ok.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As QF was recently fined (Mar 2018) fined for selling LAX JFK flights I expect they are now more careful.

Link----> https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....fined-jfk-lax/
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:05 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As QF was recently fined (Mar 2018) fined for selling LAX JFK flights I expect they are now more careful.

Link----> https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....fined-jfk-lax/
Thats for passengers off partner codeshares, hardly what the OP is talking about. Back in topic, booking QF11 the day after arrival is possible, even if your on QF11 in the first place, ie
Sydney to Los Angeles
Wednesday, 12 September 2018
Departs09:35
Flight Duration
13h 45m

Arrives06:20

Economy

Los Angeles to New York (JFK)
Thursday, 13 September 2018
Departs08:20
Flight Duration
5h 20m

Arrives16:40

Economy

As the OP mentioned its bookable online, and I am of the opinion its unlikely to still be an error.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: QFF
https://www.australianfrequentflyer....ext-day.89465/
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Qantas
I wanted to do the Dreamliner flight QF95 and then QF11 the next day but there was no award availability at the Qantas premium line so I've been booked on QF93 in first and business QF11 on a Saturday in August. I also have business on QF12 on the Tuesday after and don't fly back to Australia until the Monday after that. I have 2 Alaskan flights on the Sunday and Monday the day I come home but are booked direct under a separate PNR.

This was all booked while speaking to a Qantas agent. I'm just a WP but there were no blocked seats at all when I chose them so not sure if I was given special treatment. I also had 3 days to pay for the booking and when I rung back 2 days later, I was told they normally only give 24 hours.

Regards,

Michael
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Adam1

(spending the night at a hotel presumably my bags won't be through checked?)
Your bags wouldn't be through-checked even if you were arriving on QF11 from Australia that morning. You go through customs with your checked bags upon arrival at LAX, not JFK.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markis10
Thats for passengers off partner codeshares, hardly what the OP is talking about. Back in topic, booking QF11 the day after arrival is possible, even if your on QF11 in the first place, ie
Sydney to Los Angeles
Wednesday, 12 September 2018
Departs09:35

Flight Duration
13h 45m
Arrives06:20

Los Angeles to New York (JFK)
Thursday, 13 September 2018
Departs08:20

Flight Duration
5h 20m
Arrives16:40
As the OP mentioned its bookable online, and I am of the opinion its unlikely to still be an error
Interesting thanks. I was (perhaps falsely) under the impression from the past that having the 24 hours in LAX between flights may have been an issue, as opposed to the 13 hours now offered with the introduction of QF95 arriving at LAX in the evening. Hence my original post.
I will pose these hypothetical flights to the airline and will see what their advice is for this scenario (I am expecting a different answer each time I speak with a different staff member).

I suppose at worst if I am found to be ineligible to board QF11 at LAX, I will be moved onto the next AA flight to JFK free of charge.
(Hopefully the AA flights won't be too oversold on the day!)

Originally Posted by flyingrarely
Your bags wouldn't be through-checked even if you were arriving on QF11 from Australia that morning. You go through customs with your checked bags upon arrival at LAX, not JFK.
Thanks for this info.
I haven't flown into LAX with a connecting flight before.

Ah yes a bit embarrassing. I wasn't sure which of these two forums I originally read about the pax not being allowed to board the QF flight between LAX-JFK.
:-s
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

**Update**
I again contacted the airline today to ask about this flight scenario.
I explained that I am looking at a multi-city booking, with flight 1 MEL-LAX, then flight 2 being LAX-JFK the next morning and asked if this would have any conflict with the airline's cabotage policy in the US.

They started off by saying that any flight results that come up on the Qantas website's booking engine are all legitimate/confirmed.

I then repeated that it was a multi-city booking, to which the staff conveyed that all multi-city legs are considered one-way flights.
I asked if this would then consider flight #2 LAX-JFK ineligible given it would then be considered a 'domestic' leg - and the staff agreed with me.
But went onto say that I should double check with the airline staff at the airport as they may be able to make it work(?).

I have since had another look using the Qantas website's booking engine and instead of making a multi-city:MEL-LAX, LAX-JFK booking, I instead looked at MEL-JFK as a direct route and on the same date.
The results showed that Thursday night's QF95 MEL-LAX, does not form a combination with Friday mornings QF11 LAX-JFK flight as an option that comes up in the booking search.

From that I take it my preferred multi-city booking option of checking in at LAX the following morning to join QF11 will be ineligible as it would be a separate flight from my transpac flight from Australia to America 13 hours earlier the previous day.
(Qantas wouldn't even have a check in desk open at LAX in the morning for QF11 would they, rather just a transfers counter for those passengers who arrived the same morining from Australia on QF93/QF11/QF15 right?)

For my LAX-JFK flight I pretty keen for a window seat, so I don't think I'll take the risk and book QF11, just incase I get moved to a different flight instead where I assume it will be highly unlikely that I would get select my seat as a 'standby' passenger.
I'll instead now book this flight separately with another carrier.

In conclusion I am still a little confused and disappointed as to why QF11 LAX-JFK is still coming up as a flight option on the multicity booking engine results.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:13 pm

I have a booking for next month on QF11 SYD-LAX arriving 0620, then departing 0600 the next day on AA292 LAX-FJK . As it is less than 24 hours (23 hours and 40 mins to be exact) it is ticketed as one trip and bags will be checked through to JFK.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Qantas
Bags can't be checked through. You need to clear customs and immigration with your bags before you can leave the airport.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
And the baggage recheck counter after customs at LAX for will reject your through-checked bag as it is for the wrong date you will have to leave LAX with your bags and then recheck the next morning (when AA treminal is INCREDIBLY crowded for those 6 am departures). In this case the "through check" at SYD has no functional value except to cause confusion.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:27 pm

My travel agent has assured me they will be checked through ... hmmm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:28 pm

oh bloody hell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.