Wiki Posts
Search

Did Qantas do enough?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF GO
Did Qantas do enough?

I booked a D class revenue ticket travelling from AKL-MEL-LAX-JFK-YUL and I’m a platinum member. Ticket stock was issued under QF.

My flight with AA to Montreal got cancelled yesterday. We were on our way and captain advised that we had a long taxi. He then said that due to the long taxi we had lost our slot of the original flight plan to Montreal and the current fuel wasn’t enough for the new flight plan. We returned to the gate for a refuel. AA decided to cancel the flight due to crewing issues.

In my view it’s already happened so no need to get upset about it. AA only rebooked me to a new flight which leaves today from LGA.

I then hen went to Flagship lounge and the lounge lady was empathetic and really wanted to get me accommodation and transportation. She called Qantas to see if they were willing to absorb the costs and QF didn’t.

Although i I can appreciate that the cancellation had nothing to do with QF however I did feel a bit that I was abandoned by QF.

What do you think? Could QF have done more for its Platinum member?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Were you on QF codeshare JFK-YUL or AA code? Also was LAX-JFK on QF metal? I've been stranded overnight at JFK 3 or 4 times over the years, always flying F on either CX or BA tickets and paid hotel and meals. In past years QF has been great at LAX for reroutes, but I've never connected at JFK with QF. I think they are contracted staff who may not be so familiar with QF policy, so I''d suggest calling the Platinum line in US.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The issue was with an AA flight - Qantas had done its part in getting you to New York and anything related to the AA cancellation is the responsibility of AA

QF didn't abandon you ; it delivered you to where it said it would

From what you have described, assuming that you were connecting in New York and did not have a stopover there, it sounds that AA will be liable for hotel/meals etc ; QF isn't liable for these
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As this was the day of travel, it was the operating carrier's sole responsibility to handle reroute and any accommodations. The ticketing / plating carrier is wholly irrelevant in this limited situation.

AA's policy would apply and AA's policy would not provide for a hotel or food in this instance. It should have issued you a voucher for a taxi to LGA.

Having said this, there is nothing which prohibited you from approaching / calling QF and asking for assistance. It is not QF's responsibility, but it does not mean that it would not have been forthcoming. As one can imagine, AA, the responsible carrier here, calling QF, fell on deaf ears.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:09 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Wow - AA wouldn’t provide accommodation in this case?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Often1
As this was the day of travel, it was the operating carrier's sole responsibility to handle reroute and any accommodations. The ticketing / plating carrier is wholly irrelevant in this limited situation.

AA's policy would apply and AA's policy would not provide for a hotel or food in this instance. It should have issued you a voucher for a taxi to LGA.

Having said this, there is nothing which prohibited you from approaching / calling QF and asking for assistance. It is not QF's responsibility, but it does not mean that it would not have been forthcoming. As one can imagine, AA, the responsible carrier here, calling QF, fell on deaf ears.
Whether it wants to have a policy to not pay for accommodation is up to it , where the Montreal Convention applies ( such as Australia to Canada via USA ) , it is liable under Article 19

Originally Posted by Montreal convention
Article 19 — Delay
The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay
in the carriage by air of passengers, baggage or cargo.
Nevertheless, the carrier shall not be liable for damage
occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and
agents took all measures that could reasonably be required
to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them
to take such measures.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Were you on QF codeshare JFK-YUL or AA code? Also was LAX-JFK on QF metal? I've been stranded overnight at JFK 3 or 4 times over the years, always flying F on either CX or BA tickets and paid hotel and meals. In past years QF has been great at LAX for reroutes, but I've never connected at JFK with QF. I think they are contracted staff who may not be so familiar with QF policy, so I''d suggest calling the Platinum line in US.
Yeah all were booked with QF code.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The issue was with an AA flight - Qantas had done its part in getting you to New York and anything related to the AA cancellation is the responsibility of AA

QF didn't abandon you ; it delivered you to where it said it would

From what you have described, assuming that you were connecting in New York and did not have a stopover there, it sounds that AA will be liable for hotel/meals etc ; QF isn't liable for these
No I didn’t mean that QF was liable to sort this out. AA handled the situation worst than expected, that was why I thought QF may, out of good will, tried to find me an accommodation. While I do appreciate it was AA who cancelled the flight, ultimately I did feel that QF could have make me feel a bit valued.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Whether it wants to have a policy to not pay for accommodation is up to it , where the Montreal Convention applies ( such as Australia to Canada via USA ) , it is liable under Article 19
i do wonder what it meant by traffic congestion. First the captain advised that our taxi was going to be long which led to missing our slot for the original flight plan. As a result we didn’t have enough fuel and had to return to the gate to be refuelled. I’m just quite puzzled that for a flight that operates on a daily basis, shouldn’t AA’s operation have prevented this? E.g carry more fuel, have standby crew at JFK etc. I haven’t heard of a flight being cancelled due to traffic congestion.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kleenlex's other thread on this topic:- People do make a big difference: Club staffer. saves my flight cancellation

Originally Posted by Kleenlex
<snip>
In my view whats happened had happened, but I found AA’s service to be quite appalling. No one knew what was happening, who we should be speaking to. After 1hr of queuing the gate agent rebooked me to a Delta flight departing today from LGA. No accommodation provided as the official statement was cancellation was due to traffic congestion.

I then went to Flagship lounge and the agent Aprille was very empathetic to the situation. She felt that being a Oneworld Emerald, D class revenue ticket and the fact that I’d travelled from Auckland. She tried to get me accomodation and transport. After another 2 hrs or so, she finally got an approval to authorise.
After any flight disruption worth checking if any other flights/return are still OK in the reservation system
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kleenlex

No I didn’t mean that QF was liable to sort this out. AA handled the situation worst than expected, that was why I thought QF may, out of good will, tried to find me an accommodation. While I do appreciate it was AA who cancelled the flight, ultimately I did feel that QF could have make me feel a bit valued.
You were on an AA flight - and issues with it are AA's , not Qantas's

I think that you are setting up for disappointments if you expect Qantas to start compensating for problems which occur with AA flights

AA is liable for the costs associated with the delay , so write to AA when you return and put a claim in to it - or even easier , if you have travel insurance, claim off of it and let it claim from AA

I can't see any reason to expect an airline that didn't have an issue with its flights and is not liable for the issue to pay out
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:33 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You were on an AA flight - and issues with it are AA's , not Qantas's
Technically not correct, OP was on a QF codeshare on AA metal, so it becomes a QF flight with revenue going to QF and responsibility becoming QF ... the joys of codeshares. Contacting QF Platinum line in USA will do wonders, at least it has for me with similar "mis-connects" at DFW. It would be AA policy if it was AA marketed flight, but by being QF marketed it becomes QFpolicy. Sadly the overworked JFK contractors for QF are measured on LAX service and don't want to spend time on the very few other problems such as YUL connections.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:04 am

When there is an irregularity with a flight, it is the operating carrier that is responsible - AA was the operating carrier whose flight got cancelled and it is AA who is responsible for dealing with it - not Qantas

That the passenger was booked on an QF codeshare is irrelevant to this
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
I still want to know whether the OP received free accommodation or not. In this thread he says no, but in his thread on the AA forum he says that he did. I'm confused.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
An oft-repeated refrain on FT. Good luck enforcing through DOT or in a US court as to where people spend the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.