Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Platinum reward request - family member?

Old May 29, 18, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP

Just wondering whether anyone WPs/P1s have tried / had any success in requesting an unpublished reward seat for a family member? As WP I was able to do this for myself last year, but haven't tried it for family. Would be domestic MEL-CBR-MEL, economy reward if possible - Thursday night - Tuesday morning so not absolute peak time.
Old May 29, 18, 11:19 pm
1FQ

Programs: QFF Plat 1
Im P1 and have had no problems getting a number of unpublished reward seats for the family and I from Syd to LA return. Usually pay for and put the 2 boys down the back and wife and I and the little one up the front with reward seats. But it is around 160k points I think.

Domestic has been very easy also over the years and actually less points required if I had asked at the lounge.
Old May 30, 18, 3:00 am

Programs: Qantas
How old are your boys that go economy? After I went first class Melbourne to Auckland I asked the question on Facebook about sending our 4yr old twins as unaccompanied children in economy while my wife and I went first class.... then added just asking for a friend at the end.
Old May 30, 18, 4:10 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Volvo Mike View Post
How old are your boys that go economy? After I went first class Melbourne to Auckland I asked the question on Facebook about sending our 4yr old twins as unaccompanied children in economy while my wife and I went first class.... then added just asking for a friend at the end.
I assume MEL-AKL in F was on EK? Certainly not QF. But in any case, I hope there was serious criticism of having the 4 yr olds down the back and parents up the front - for many many reasons.
Old May 30, 18, 4:39 am

Programs: Qantas
Indeed it was EK. 4 year olds actually stayed home and had a sleepover at the grandparents.... and loved it.
Old May 30, 18, 3:21 pm
1FQ

Programs: QFF Plat 1
Originally Posted by Volvo Mike View Post
15 and 12
Old Jun 6, 18, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by 1FQ View Post
Im P1 and have had no problems getting a number of unpublished reward seats for the family and I from Syd to LA return. Usually pay for and put the 2 boys down the back and wife and I and the little one up the front with reward seats. But it is around 160k points I think.

Domestic has been very easy also over the years and actually less points required if I had asked at the lounge.
Thanks, yep I was able to do this over the phone. Do you mean if you book these in lounge it requires more or less points?
Old Jun 7, 18, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by grinna View Post
Thanks, yep I was able to do this over the phone. Do you mean if you book these in lounge it requires more or less points?
I doubt you can submit a points redemption or upgrade request for international flights "in the lounge" on the day of travel.