QF codeshares in Europe

Old Apr 25, 18, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum | BA Gold
QF codeshares in Europe

Hi all, I'm based in Europe but kind of feel "invested" in a way into QFF (2200 lifetime status credits). I mostly fly SkyTeam but sometimes the cost on AF-KLM is prohibitive so I do have the occasional oneworld trips. So you get where I'm going... this occasional trip will usually put me close to achieving Silver... if I have 2 of these trips then gold starts to come into reach... but the 4 QF sectors kill me. Does anybody know if it's possible to book short distance BA flights as a QF codeshare? Or is it only possible in conjunction with a long-haul / connecting ticket?
Old Apr 25, 18, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
... but the 4 QF sectors kill me. Does anybody know if it's possible to book short distance BA flights as a QF codeshare?..
No

Or is it only possible in conjunction with a long-haul / connecting ticket?
Yes.
And from other recent threads the options of booking QF coded EK operated flights (via DXB) seems to have reduced.
Old Apr 25, 18, 8:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
About the only cheap way (in cost and time) is to book some Jetstar flights in Asia, either ex-SIN or Japan. You could get 4 QF sectors that way in a day for less than the cost of a single BA flight in Europe, but of course have to get to Asia first . Not sure that 2200 SC lifetime is much of an investment, long way from getting lifetime status (40 years for you to LTG if you only earn silver each year ).
BSBtraveller likes this.
Old Apr 29, 18, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... but the 4 QF sectors kill me.
Without travel to Australia/New Zealand, it's relatively hard to get these. It's one of the reasons that I stopped earning on QFFF once I'd reached lifetime Silver at 7,000 SCs. If I'd only had the same number of lifetime SCs as you, I think I'd have stopped earlier - as serfty says, you're a long way off anything worthwhile. If your aim is simply to earn some oneworld status through your occasional oneworld trips, then you'd probably be better off looking at a different oneworld scheme. Tying yourself into one that doesn't work for you simply because you've got 2,200 lifetime SCs is probably not the best approach.
Old May 7, 18, 6:47 pm
ECR

I am in a similar situation to the original poster with a few thousand status credits but based in Europe. The four QF flights were easy enough until recently as a flight from the UK regions to London to connect to a flight to Dubai would get them in one trip. Unfortunately with that option now gone, and QF coded flights from London to Dubai, now being a lot more expensive than under an EK code the options are quite limited. Without having any plans to go to Australia at the moment, the only options I can find are to Bangkok or Singapore.

I have almost a year of Platinum left, and hopefully I will soft land to Gold even if I don't get 4 QF flights. I'm struggling to decide if I should stick with it and hoping that the Dubai flights might return to a reasonable price at some point, or that I decide to visit Bangkok or Singapore.

I would hope to get close to Lifetime Silver in the next few years if I push everything QFF, but maybe I would be better just cutting my losses now and concentrating on another scheme.
Old May 7, 18, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would just cut and run - figure what airlines best meet your travel needs and credit to schemes accordingly

Even if you did continue creding to Qantas, I wouldn't say that the benefits of Silver are that great as to make it worth pursuing for the next few years

Search this Thread
Search Engine: