Chances of an upgrade (SYD-SIN-LHR)

Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
I've seen QR J fares to europe ex-MEL/SYD for about $6k return.
Agree also on using points for outright F/J redemptions
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Comet21
China airline (Taiwanese airline), Vietnam, and Thai are all showing cheaper fares to London in their business
Chinese airlines may also be cheaper.

Don't forget premium cabin fares ex-NZ can often be considerably cheaper than ex-Australia, if your schedule can accommodate the extra travel time going via AKL and risks of separate tickets.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Syphanx
So I've managed to find the following PE on Qantas (some long'ish lay overs but the price is a lot more palatable)

Sunday 15 July:
MEL-SIN-LHR (has a 6hr layover in SIN - any suggestions on what to do in SIN airport? any good oneworld lounges?)
Cost: $2266 AUD

Monday 6 August: (changed from the original date of 5 August):
LHR-SIN-MEL (has a 3hr layover in SIN)
Cost: $2638 AUD

Total cost: $4904 AUD (a lot better than $6k).

Thoughts? I'd still be trying my luck at upgrades and so far the seat map looks pretty empty in Business (obviously I don't know how many other platinums or P1's have put in for upgrades). What's SIN airport like? I've transited there before but it was a looonnnggg time ago.

Cheers
Not worth it for PE in my opinion. Spend a little more for J on another airline.

check out firstclass.com.au
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Where are you seeing these business class return fares for $5400? The cheapest I can see is Malaysia Airlines $5942 (which I wouldn't travel on anyway, not even for free), the next after that is Japan airlines for $5972 return.
I've been in J lots on Malaysia airlines. They were great.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think MH is really great on its 330 with the single seat over on the K side

An example of a fare of $5290 business class return for those dates is with Oman Air. Uses MH from SYD-KUL and then connects onward on WY

WY's business class is really wonderful and such great value

Just $386 more than Qantas's premium economy product would make it a no brainer choice to me. I would take its business class over Qantas any day
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Also - for 15JUL/6AUG - AY are offering MEL-LHR J return for $5920 with CX via HKG and QF via SIN.

Regards,

BD
Old May 3, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: Some
Where are you seeing these business class return fares for $5400? The cheapest I can see is Malaysia Airlines $5942 (which I wouldn't travel on anyway, not even for free), the next after that is Japan airlines for $5972 return.
It's a slightly longer routing no doubt, but as long as the connection in TYO is reasonably short I would be biting JL's hand off at this price in J vs. PE for $1k less. Trust me, JL has the best J class flying to LHR (or most places). Also of note is they are T3 at LHR so you'll still get to try to the QF lounge at LHR (and CX's excellent F lounge as QF Plat).
Old May 3, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
It's a slightly longer routing no doubt, but as long as the connection in TYO is reasonably short I would be biting JL's hand off at this price in J vs. PE for $1k less. Trust me, JL has the best J class flying to LHR (or most places). Also of note is they are T3 at LHR so you'll still get to try to the QF lounge at LHR (and CX's excellent F lounge as QF Plat).
I wouldn't be biting JL's hand at $5900 since I would have eaten WY's arm at $5200 - WY has a really nice nicet business class and would take over QF or JL and a really cheap price
Old May 3, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I wouldn't be biting JL's hand at $5900 since I would have eaten WY's arm at $5200 - WY has a really nice nicet business class and would take over QF or JL and a really cheap price
I’ve never actually flown WY so suppose I can’t really comment but they use the same seat as JL on a lot of routes so can’t be bad. Have flown almost all of the other J classes to LHR. AUD700 for the status credits and airmiles from JL sounds like a pretty good deal to me. One wrinkle is the SYD/MEL flights perhaps leave from NRT (I think?) whereas LHR is HND, which perhaps explains the crazy price for JL.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:33 am

There is no way that I would class FF miles for such a trip as being worth $700 , even more so with having to get between HND and NRT
Old May 7, 2018, 7:05 pm

CZ Business class has lie-flat all the way to LHR. Service is great, food not so much...but perfectly edible. Bang for your buck, it seems a no-brainer to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.