FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   MEL - JFK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1904145-mel-jfk.html)

Volvo Mike Apr 15, 2018 8:35 pm

MEL - JFK

Just wondering what would be the better combination of flying this route in J.

QF93 0900 - 0625 then QF11 0820 - 1640
QF95 2140 - 1900 overnight hotel then QF11.

Trip is for pleasure so the extra night in LA wouldn't be an issue but I'm interested if anyone has tried both options and can comment on their preferred flights.
Can their be immigration delays that would miss the QF11?

Regards,

Michael

Dave Noble Apr 15, 2018 8:52 pm

There could be a delay that would cause a missed connection however there are plenty of other services that QF can rebook onto

Chalkie Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm

QF93 is usually (there's been a period this year in Feb/Mar when that wasn't the case) the A380. The business class seating on the A380 is getting on, and I regard it as a bit tatty. It is a 2-2-2 configuration. That said, the A380 is a large and comfortable aeroplane and I always fly on it if I can in preference to other aircraft types - when I fly to the US it is always on QF93; about 3 or 4 times per year. The timing of QF93 is not especially friendly for managing fatigue - most of the journey is during the Australian day, and you're woken for breakfast prior to landing at LAX about 2-3 hours before arrival, just when you would like to be deep in sleep. That said, the good thing about the QF93/QF11 combination is that with the late afternoon arrival on the east coast, by the time you get to your hotel and have some dinner, it is bedtime on the east coast so I find that quite good for managing fatigue.

QF95 is being operated by the 787 Dreamliner. The business class seat is new and very comfortable. The configuration is 1-2-1. The timing is good for sleeping. That said, having to schlep to a hotel overnight and then back in the morning may be a bit irritating - you may as well keep on going on the QF93/QF11 combination.

QF11 is often delayed by pax making connections from SYD and MEL. You're given an express pass when you disembark to try LAX immigration can be a doozy! On my most recent trip in May (on QF93) I was stunned to come down the escalators into an EMPTY immigration hall. I breezed straight through with no delay at all! Other times I've stood in endless queues that have taken up to an hour.

number_6 Apr 15, 2018 11:41 pm

Easy choice, overnight at LAX is much better if you can afford the extra day. Lots of hotels with easy LAX access (I like the Sheraton, esp. their open plan corner suites). Half the price of NY city accom and you can either rest or partake of the fine LA nightlife.

og Apr 16, 2018 12:27 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 29644946)
Easy choice, overnight at LAX is much better if you can afford the extra day. Lots of hotels with easy LAX access (I like the Sheraton, esp. their open plan corner suites). Half the price of NY city accom and you can either rest or partake of the fine LA nightlife.

Agree. Its fine to be rebooked onto a later flight if the straight through combo doesn’t connect, and if you really want to be on QF with the 744 or 789, then the LAX overnight wins.

irishguy28 Apr 16, 2018 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Chalkie (Post 29644681)
The timing of QF93 is not especially friendly for managing fatigue - most of the journey is during the Australian day, and you're woken for breakfast prior to landing at LAX about 2-3 hours before arrival, just when you would like to be deep in sleep.

Could you not request to skip breakfast and thus not to be disturbed until landing?

og Apr 16, 2018 4:30 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29645167)
Could you not request to skip breakfast and thus not to be disturbed until landing?

shure - so long as lights on, windows open and general activity and noise in the cabin are no problem for sleeping :)