Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

BA-issued domestic ticket means international baggage rules? Sortof?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.

I still can't make any sense of this. Like the OP in this thread, I have a BA-ticketed all domestic itinerary. This page (https://www.qantas.com/us/en/travel-...d-baggage.html) makes absolutely no mention of weight-based allowances for domestic flights -- it's all about piece based allowances. The only place it talks about weight-based is under "International flights (excluding North and South America)".

However, when I go to Manage my Booking, I have a purely weight-based allowance...

...unless I want to purchase additional allowance, which is piece-based:

Something seems broken here. (So, I could have 40 one-kilo bags, for free, and then pay $30 for the one 30kg bag? Or, if I had two 32kg bags and an 8kg bag, I could check 32kg #1 and the 8kg using the weight allowance, and then 32kg #2 using an additional bag allowance.... This sounds line one of those "3 quarters, 2 dimes" word problems.)

ETA: for what it's worth, it's on 125 (BA) ticket stock.

Last edited by lairdb; Apr 10, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is your full route, class of travel & status?
The QF page linked is for USA "com/us/en"
The "au" page here, which may be different. https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...d-baggage.html
"International" depends on your point of view.
Australia domestic flights booked in Australia use weight piece base.

In the QF forum there a number of threads on checked baggage allowances. Can be confusing, as not well written. Was better a few year ago, when they had in table form. One of the old QF threads has images of those tables.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 10, 2018 at 8:45 pm Reason: weight to piece
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What is your full route, class of travel & status?
The QF page linked is for USA "com/us/en"
The "au" page here, which may be different. https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...d-baggage.html
"International" depends on your point of view.
Australia domestic flights booked in Australia use weight base.

In the QF forum there a number of threads on checked baggage allowances. Can be confusing, as not well written. Was better a few year ago, when they had in table form. One of the old QF threads has images of those tables.
CNS-HTI coach only
HTI-CNS coach only
CNS-SYD business

Booked using Avios under my BA number, which has no status. (I have OW life Ruby via AA life Gold, but neither BA nor QF know that, and it's not worth a bucket of warm spit anyway, AFAIK.)

I'm not seeing any material difference between the /us/ and /au/ policies; in both cases domestic allowances are piece-based:

Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think its just the (poor) way QF shows it.
Looked at a local booking I have (piece based) and it shows the weight like yours.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:00 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Worth pointing out your HTI flights are on a Dash 8 which has specific baggage allowances:
Dash 8 Services
1 piece up to 23kg (50lb)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Australia domestic flights booked in Australia use weight piece base.
Looked at a local booking I have (piece based) and it shows the weight like yours.
How do you know it's piece-based if it says it's weight-based? In one of those other threads, someone mentioned that Manage my Booking would show [bag picture] x 1 if it were piece-based.

Originally Posted by markis10
Worth pointing out your HTI flights are on a Dash 8 which has specific baggage allowances:
Dash 8 Services
1 piece up to 23kg (50lb)
Yes -- and Manage my Booking says I have weight-based up to 30kg on those segments. Sigh. I would almost believe it was all purposely confusing to allow them to charge higher fees, but Hanlon's Razor applies.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lairdb
Like the OP in this thread, I have a BA-ticketed all domestic itinerary. This page (https://www.qantas.com/us/en/travel-...d-baggage.html) makes absolutely no mention of weight-based allowances for domestic flights -- it's all about piece based allowances. The only place it talks about weight-based is under "International flights (excluding North and South America)".

However, when I go to Manage my Booking, I have a purely weight-based allowance...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...15d58c4d46.png

...unless I want to purchase additional allowance, which is piece-based:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5a0f0a5617.png

Something seems broken here.
I haven't come across this myself and I have to admit to never having paid any real attention to the stated baggage allowance on my BA-ticketed QF domestic itineraries. But from first principles, one guess (I stress it's no more than a guess) is that BA has wrongly written a 40-kg (ie weight-based business class) baggage allowance on the ticket, which is what the QF website is picking up and showing you as your included baggage allowance, even though it ought to be a piece-based allowance. But then when you ask QF for more baggage allowance, then as that is a purely QF function, the QF website is accurately identifying that it should be offering you a piece-based additional baggage allowance.

One way of testing that is to get a copy of an Amadeus-generated e-ticket receipt that actually shows the ticketed baggage allowance on each sector. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that CheckMyTrip does that in either version - can anyone confirm?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I haven't come across this myself and I have to admit to never having paid any real attention to the stated baggage allowance on my BA-ticketed QF domestic itineraries.
<snip>
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that CheckMyTrip does that in either version - can anyone confirm?
It has been ~5 years since I checked what the baggage allowance is on any of my tickets.

Looked at my reservation on https://classic.checkmytrip.com. Baggage allowance not shown.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
One way of testing that is to get a copy of an Amadeus-generated e-ticket receipt that actually shows the ticketed baggage allowance on each sector. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that CheckMyTrip does that in either version - can anyone confirm?
I know more about Sabre than Amadeus, but a Helpful Person forwarded me some Amadeus links, and one of them was able to display an e-ITR that says "BGG:1PC". So, I'll assume the QF website display is just deranged.

(Said Helpful Person acknowledged that the links were findable, but preferred they not be posted; I do find most or all of them posted elsewhere on FT. I did find Classic CheckMyTrip on my own, which does display the full fare basis but does not display the baggage allowance, at https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS, in case anybody is looking for that increasingly hard to find portal.)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lairdb
I know more about Sabre than Amadeus, but a Helpful Person forwarded me some Amadeus links, and one of them was able to display an e-ITR that says "BGG:1PC". So, I'll assume the QF website display is just deranged.
Yes, it sounds like a QF IT glitch, then! I'm glad you've been able to get confirmation of what the position is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.