Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
MEL-LAX-IAD via JFK or Not

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:29 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Having come off of the QF flight in 1st class, even connecting in economy on to IAD will give you lounge access

Going via JFK will give the longest part of journey in a better cabin, but I think that going LAX-IAD is a better choice

It is going to be about an hour's less flying time and will avoid time in JFK.

At LAX you need to collect your luggage on arrival anyway (iirc) even continuing on to JFK ; if you go to JFK you will again have to collect your bags and check them in for the AA flight, so will need to leave plenty of time for that too, With the time needed to be allowed for that, I would just get the non stop service from LAX and get there several hours earlier

Picking 10 Sep as an example. Travel MEL-LAX-JFK and arrive at JFK at 05:37 ; travel MEL-LAX-IAD and can arrive in IAD at 05:37. Looking at EF, it seems that there is no JFK-DCA flight until 10:55 arriving at 12:37 . I would take arriving 7 hours earlier

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 31, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:15 pm

I would be working on not being granted lounge access in JFK since there is no entitlement that I can see

You are connecting from a domestic flight to a domestic flight in USA for which no lounge access benefit applies under OW rules. Even AA's more generous benefit of same day would not apply since it would be the following day after arrival into LAX

In LAX , you are entitled to lounge access since you are connecting from the international flight to a domestic one
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: QFF
Does AA still have their non stop LAX-DCA? (I used this in 2016)

The AA lounge limits apply to those with AA status and AA operated flights. If you have other oneworld status or have lounge access via a partner airline cabin class, then the AA domestic travel lounge access rules don't apply.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
Does AA still have their non stop LAX-DCA? (I used this in 2016)

The AA lounge limits apply to those with AA status and AA operated flights. If you have other oneworld status or have lounge access via a partner airline cabin class, then the AA domestic travel lounge access rules don't apply.
For travel xxx-LAX-JFK on QF and then AA JFK-DCA , unless using OW status outside of AA, there would be no lounge access entitlement AT JFK that I can see based on class of service
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:49 pm

As someone else noted ... why not fly LAX to DCA if that is where you want to be?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by bigjono
As someone else noted ... why not fly LAX to DCA if that is where you want to be?
The LAX-DCA timings look not to be so good for connection from QF.

I didnt see where the OP indicate that he wanted to be in DCA particularly? they are both airports in the same city and just 29 miles by road apart; from JFK, the only option on AA is DCA ; there are no flights to IAD
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:35 pm

Fair point ... although Dulles is not quite “in the city” in the same way DCA is ... although if your destination is on that side of town it is ok.

the timings are fine, have done it, particularly if in First and on the same ticket (so protected in case of a problem).

connecting of qf11 to dca at jfk means a probably arrival at 11pm.

lax to dca wold be 4pm.

Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
The Flagship lounge at JFK is great. But not five hours great. I think sitting on an AA 737 for five hours and getting home earlier is the better option. Shame to miss trying the 787, but it's not the best choice here.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 1, 2018 at 4:03 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cyborg
I found a Delta flight from JFK to DC at half the cost of the AA transcon. I will likely book that and experience the 789 LAX-JFK and transit from Terminal 8 to the one DL uses. With a 3 hour connection it allows for some delay on arrival and since AA doesn't grant lounge privileges in this situation at JFK I don't see any harm in moving to DL at JFK.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Upfront? That's a good option, as long as you're happy with the connection risk. Only flat bed into DCA.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Problem is - if your QF flight into LAX is delayed, you are not protected to continue to Washington. I have same flight options in F on the MEL-LAX, but I decided to continue on the QF 789 to JFK and then take the late flight to DCA on AA. On AA reward, so the AA flight is included in J.

5 hours is not too bad, you can get shower, etc. Although the last flight from JFK to DCA is sometimes delayed. Other option would be to take the AA shuttle flight from LGA, but then you need to take the bus or cab over LGA. The bus is not bad though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.