Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF's partner earn rates on AA vs BA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas PlatinumOne (OneWorld Emerald)
QF's partner earn rates on AA vs BA

Hi all,

I've just noticed on Qantas' Earning Calculator that for Silver status and above, you get substantially more QPs if you fly between the US and London on AA than with BA.

These are the Platinum/P1 First values (but the proportional difference is still very noticeable for any cabin and for any status above Bronze):
  • JFK-LHR: 4800 (BA) vs 8000 (AA)
  • LAX-LHR: 8600 vs 14300
  • SFO-LHR (even though AA doesn't actually fly that route currently): same as LAX
Firstly I just wanted to check that this is correct, and not an error on the calculator? (Since it only kicks in at Silver and above, I assume it's an agreement by Qantas to honour a version of the usual Status Bonus for QF flights on AA flights too (but not on BA) - I'd just never realised that arrangement existed before now.)

Secondly, if it is correct, is there any chance I'd get the higher rate if I booked the BA SFO-LHR flight through AA (ie AA flight number, and marketed by AA, but BA-operated) - or would Qantas automatically process that to the lower rate because it's BA metal?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:43 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
AA ,marketed earns at the AA rate on QF. Note that AA codeshares on BA tend to be quite a bit more expensive than the BA fare on same flight, as AA is targeting customers who are mandated by law to book American operators (e.g. US gov't contractors, for example).
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by number_6
Note that AA codeshares on BA tend to be quite a bit more expensive than the BA fare on same flight ...
I don't think that this is universally true. A random search on ITA for JFK-LHR-JFK for travel in June shows AA and BA charging the same fares, with the only apparent price difference being BA's GDS fee of USD 10 per fare component.

So it is always worth pricing the specific travel dates that one needs to see whether or not there is any price advantage in booking BA over AA.

Booking AA does carry some additional risk of miscommunication between the airlines, but 'twas ever thus with codeshares. You may also need to get your head around some of the technicalities about how to find your BA PNR so that you can select seats etc if the websites aren't behaving cooperatively.

However, earning according to marketing airline is the oneworld system, so it may be worth doing all of this for a significantly higher QFFF points earn. It's a phenomenon that also features in other oneworld frequent flyer schemes - BA's own, for example, can behave like this too because of differing bonus rates.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks both - v helpful.

I think I've found a total price differential of only $500 AUD on SFO-LHR First return, which feels worth paying to earn an extra 11,400 QPs.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have trouble seeing that 11,400 miles is worth $500

From https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/pr...ts/topupPoints , can see that 11,500 points can be purchased for $375.00 if needing the points

Given the price of a 1st class return, I would look at crediting to AA for points earning

With a lowest fare of USD10,552, you would earn 52,760 points if credited to AA as a regular member or 75,000 points (84,416 if the cap is missed ) if you pay $500 for its platinum challenge

75,000 is not far short of the 87,500 needed for a business award betwene Europe and Australia ( without surcharges to pay if BA is avoided )

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 24, 2018 at 6:02 am
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Yeah okay...that's a good point.

I get most of my points from an endless routine of MEL-SYD Flex Econ trips, which cost c$650 each return, and give me 2,400 points; so on that basis I was thinking that 11,400 points for $500 was a really good price. But your comparison is a much more appropriate one.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
https://www.qantasepiqure.com.au/p/V.../VOYAGECME10_C

Or just buy me a case of wine for $360, and you can keep the 15,000 points ;-)

Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
https://www.qantasepiqure.com.au/p/V.../VOYAGECME10_C

Or just buy me a case of wine for $360, and you can keep the 15,000 points ;-)

I'd prefer the points over the wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.