Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas goes direct Perth to London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
The last QF1 via DXB having some problems today, good job QF10 isn't dependent on this A380 today
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:53 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I’d suggest this story on PER-LHR will be blasted for “6” right off the front pages of the media by the ball tampering crisis (that’s cricket at its finest form of cheating).
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by kyanar
DRW probably can't even land a 787.
Darwin has a runway/terminal capable of handling A380's (and the terminal has in the past).

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I hope AJ took a middle economy seat down the back, to maximise revenue from paying business class pax.
I think he sat in row 3 next to his partner.

Originally Posted by libertyuk
The last QF1 via DXB having some problems today, good job QF10 isn't dependent on this A380 today
Yeh apparently a lightning strike. Someone on another forum said that being the last QF flight they had a few issues and most got moved to QF9 and other EK services. It seems it'll now spend 24 hours in Dubai and then return to Sydney. I guess it'll mean all the A380 crew that are in Dubai can all travel back to Singapore on a Qantas flight instead of Emirates...
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Some of the UK media stories today on it:

The always factual Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...7-hours-qantas

The Independent has it's Travel writer booked on the return QF10. Should be an interesting read in a few days time.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8272581.html

Aunty has some reports from people:
Australia-UK: First non-stop flight arrives in London from Perth - BBC News
And the Beeb continues with some interesting side links on the history of the Kangaroo route:
The evolution of UK-Australia travel into a single flight - BBC News

The Mirror has no mention of it, the most recent article is just about the launch of tickets.

The Daily "Hate" Mail has lots of pictures so it's readers don't have to read to much. From the headline they might think that until this 17hr flight was launched, it took TWELVE DAYS!!!
First ever Qantas direct flight from Perth to successfully lands Daily Mail Online

The Express's Brexit heart is worn on its pages with the comment: "Australia is fast becoming a popular destination with Britons who are looking for a holiday with the guaranteed good weather where the locals speak English" . They'll be campaigning for a rail link next...
https://www.express.co.uk/travel/art...rways-uk-perth

The Daily Star mustn't have any travel reporters working the weekend as it's article is from Friday.
SK likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:03 am

Will this encourage EU carriers to open nonstop flights to PER ? Almost all EU hubs (except CDG) are closer to PER than LHR.
The have the equipment for it. LH, KL, AF they all have capable aircraft to fly this route nonstop.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
What’s the seat pitch and seat width in Y? How many seats abreast on this 787 and is that fewer than other QF 787s in Economy or what other carriers fit in?

Can OneWorld elites reserve exit rows or other extra-legroom Y seats without paying extra?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by henrus
Darwin has a runway/terminal capable of handling A380's (and the terminal has in the past).
It's one thing to be able to handle them, and another to do it at full takeoff weight (which they will want given the fuel load), especially in a hot climate (runway length requirements go up with temperature)
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Novice question ... why did QF need to wait for 787's to operate this route when EK have operated an A380 between DXB-AKL for years, which is only 200mi shorter?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: QFF, SPG, Skywards, HHonors
Well done to QF. It was a long time coming. A great feat for modern aviation. Hopefully now they can move on.

However, it is sad to see people on here and other forums felt the need to be negative. Was it really necessary to hear people bang on about how they prefer stopovers, random anecdotes about what a friend or loved one thinks or just a good old excuse to bash QF (I mean seriously, "Air Sydney" this is PER-LHR). We get it, the market isn't you! But there is one! In the chosen configurations, interior colour palettes, menus, toilet/pax ratios, etc.

I understand these are forums and people are entitled to an opinion but I wish people would get a reality check.

As a QFF, via PER means I have another choice to get to the UK. We also have QF1/2 is now routed back via SIN, QF still codesharing with EK, and all the other oneworld options.
libertyuk and mrtraveller like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Very glad QF pulled that one off and I do hope the route becomes a success. I have done the previous 'longest route' AKL-DOH several times in both J and Y and quite frankly it is not that different from a 13 or 14 hour flight. Now if only QF could open a really good lounge in PER to match the ambition of such a special route...
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by airsurfer
Will this encourage EU carriers to open nonstop flights to PER ? Almost all EU hubs (except CDG) are closer to PER than LHR.
The have the equipment for it. LH, KL, AF they all have capable aircraft to fly this route nonstop.
CDG is 150 miles closer to PER than LHR... Qantas have already said CDG/FRA/FCO are on the table if LHR is successful.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Very glad QF pulled that one off and I do hope the route becomes a success. I have done the previous 'longest route' AKL-DOH several times in both J and Y and quite frankly it is not that different from a 13 or 14 hour flight. Now if only QF could open a really good lounge in PER to match the ambition of such a special route...
DOH-AKL still is the longest... by 22 miles.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ianwall
Novice question ... why did QF need to wait for 787's to operate this route when EK have operated an A380 between DXB-AKL for years, which is only 200mi shorter?
The economics are very different with the 787 as it's a smaller plane. I suspect it's going to be hard enough for them to fill this route with only 236 seats - doing it with over twice that many in an A380 puts it into a different class.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by getluv

As a QFF, via PER means I have another choice to get to the UK. We also have QF1/2 is now routed back via SIN, QF still codesharing with EK, and all the other oneworld options.
I do not see how it does - there is the same number of choices. it is just a rerouting of QF9 via Perth rather than Dubai , not an additional choice

It is a reduction in choice for those booking 1st class

For those in Perth , it is a benefit, but don't see that there is really much difference going via Perh or via another airport.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I do not see how it does - there is the same number of choices. it is just a rerouting of QF9 via Perth rather than Dubai , not an additional choice
Previously your options to fly QF flight numbers from (say) SYD to LHR with a single stop were to go via DXB. Now you can go via DXB, SIN or PER.

Yes, the DXB flight is a codeshare, so technically you've lost the ability to go via DXB on QF metal, but that's about all - whilst picking up the ability to route via PER and SIN
likethis likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by getluv
Well done to QF. It was a long time coming. A great feat for modern aviation. Hopefully now they can move on.

However, it is sad to see people on here and other forums felt the need to be negative. Was it really necessary to hear people bang on about how they prefer stopovers, random anecdotes about what a friend or loved one thinks or just a good old excuse to bash QF (I mean seriously, "Air Sydney" this is PER-LHR). We get it, the market isn't you! But there is one! In the chosen configurations, interior colour palettes, menus, toilet/pax ratios, etc.

I understand these are forums and people are entitled to an opinion but I wish people would get a reality check.
Noted. Except it cost taxpayers AUD14 million. As it involves public money it opens itself up for legitimate scrutiny rather than simply focusing on airline and media hype that this is 'revolutionary' (at least in terms of seating, which it's not).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.