Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas goes direct Perth to London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidj1
Its not only about being 'south', it also needs to be less 'east'! Sydney is further away from Asia and the EU than Melbourne, as it is further east than MEL is south.
LHR - MEL 16,908 kms
LHR - SYD 17,020 kms
LHR - BNE 16,544 kms

BNE is the best east coast hub from a distance perspective, but for bums on seats and freight, SYD or MEL are better options.

That said, regardless of which one becomes the first east cost 787 hub, there will be someone who will need to make a 1 hour hop, which is totally palatable if it means a non-stop flight (which is the whole point).

It would come down to technicalities and if the 787 can even achieve 17k kms, or maybe it maxes out at BNE distances?
Aircraft often do not always fly the great circle route, especially over congested airspace (like LHR & Eu). Prevailing winds and politics are other factors. Routes

It arrived at 04:03 am GMT (from link in post 26)
QF news https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...ect-to-london/

<snip>
Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce, who was one of the passengers on the inaugural flight, described it as a major milestone for Australia as well as global aviation
<snip>
I hope AJ took a middle economy seat down the back, to maximise revenue from paying business class pax.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 25, 2018 at 4:25 pm Reason: added GMT
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Don't think I could do it (especially in economy though even business would be a stretch) but nonetheless bravo to Qantas, a very cool milestone in aviation history.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
Don't think I could do it (especially in economy though even business would be a stretch) but nonetheless bravo to Qantas, a very cool milestone in aviation history.
PER-LHR is about 500 miles longer than DFW-SYD (~1hr flying time). Passengers survive the DFW flight. Routes PER-LHR & DFW-SYD
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyanar
I imagine there's likely to be media presence for the first AU-UK non-stop to arrive, though not sure the likes of the Beeb are going to bother.
Lead story on BBC, currently number one in the most read too:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43530332

Full analysis too:
The evolution of UK-Australia travel into a single flight - BBC News

And covered in great detail on BBC 5 live broadcasts through the morning.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
PER-LHR is about 500 miles longer than DFW-SYD (~1hr flying time). Passengers survive the DFW flight. Routes PER-LHR & DFW-SYD
SYD-DFW was an A380 IIRC, this is the 787... Not a place I want to spent 3 hours in down the back.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It arrived at 04:03 am (from link in post 26)
5am local time, not 4am. The UK started daylight savings, which pushed it back an hour
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I am well aware of the distance. Was making a statement about my own tolerance.

Having flown IAH - DXB and HKG - ORD (among others a touch shorter), my own preference is two shorter flights that total 19 - 22 hours vs one flight of 17 (heck at the end of last year I opted for RDU - ORD - NRT - SYD in PE over RDU - DFW - SYD in Y for work). And both of those long flights mentioned were in F so Y is hard to fathom.

Again awesome milestone for aviation but count me firmly in the camp that would and will continue to take a stopover over a direct of this length (especially in Y).
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Just read an article. The youngest passenger was 5 months old. OMG they are crazy. Alan Joyce did an interview in his PJ's. Obviously luxuriating in F not struggling in Economy.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trooper
As am I... which is why NZ is such a good "fit" for me... lol (Have flown FJ once too for the same reason)
I've done the SYD - AKL - LAX. Just that little break to stretch the legs and refresh.

If I got this long flight free I would have to think long and hard about taking it.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:50 am

The 'holy grail' is the LHR-SYD nonstop, but that is quite a while away.....
And, in terms of fuel efficiency such flights are not the best. Making a stop costs *less* fuel, because the ULH cost even more fuel to carry the fuel to power the plane for such a long time. For a 777, a 5700km nonstop flight is the most fuel efficient per kilometer, a 787 might differ not much.
When fuel prices rise, CO2 taxes apply (which is likely with the global warming), then such 12000+ km flights will be abandoned and will make a stop.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:30 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Just read an article. The youngest passenger was 5 months old. OMG they are crazy. Alan Joyce did an interview in his PJ's. Obviously luxuriating in F not struggling in Economy.
No F on those aircraft.

He was probably in his PJs because there aren’t enough toilets onboard and there wasn’t enough time for him to get changed before landing.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc

No F on those aircraft.H

He was probably in his PJs because there aren’t enough toilets onboard and there wasn’t enough time for him to get changed before landing.
I think they were still in flight when he did the interview. There were a few journalist and a film crew on board.

No F... yikes. My husband who has turned in to a premium snob saw the cabin on the news and said... yuck, look at that first class. I wouldn't travel on that. So it was business that he was looking at with horror. If business looks horrible imagine economy?

Sorry for my ignorance, is it a 2 or 3 class plane?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
OMG they are crazy. Alan Joyce did an interview in his PJ's.
Those QFA PJs are cringe worthy

He could have showed a bit of class for the media, no?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:48 am

Sorry for my ignorance, is it a 2 or 3 class plane?
Three: business, premium economy and economy.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by davidj1
Those QFA PJs are cringe worthy

He could have showed a bit of class for the media, no?
I agree. I get that he probably wants to show off the soft product but a CEO of a major company giving an interview in pyjamas just comes off as slovenly.
davidj1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.