Qantas goes direct Perth to London

Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by docbert
It's one thing to be able to handle them, and another to do it at full takeoff weight (which they will want given the fuel load), especially in a hot climate (runway length requirements go up with temperature)
At 3.35Km, I doubt DRW will have any issues with a fully loaded A388 takiong off . (MEL 34 is 3.65Km)
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
At 3.35Km, I doubt DRW will have any issues with a fully loaded A388 takiong off . (MEL 34 is 3.65Km)
Look at the averages temperatures in MEL vs. DRW.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Review in on the Guardian. No surprises. Business Class good. Economy bad, well for the time he spent there he was cramped.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...ngaroo-pyjamas
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: QFF, SPG, Skywards, HHonors

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I do not see how it does - there is the same number of choices. it is just a rerouting of QF9 via Perth rather than Dubai , not an additional choice

It is a reduction in choice for those booking 1st class

For those in Perth , it is a benefit, but don't see that there is really much difference going via Perh or via another airport.
Unless you’re a regular full fare paying F pax, I can appreciate being annoyed when the route was announced however that was 15 months ago. That time has passed, move on and take your money elsewhere if it bothers you that’s much.

Even then you could argue there is a choice. You can go via SIN, continue to utilise the QF codeshares with EK, or take advantage of the numerous Oneworld carriers you can connect with.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Noted. Except it cost taxpayers AUD14 million. As it involves public money it opens itself up for legitimate scrutiny rather than simply focusing on airline and media hype that this is 'revolutionary' (at least in terms of seating, which it's not).
Write a letter to your MP then, because having a general whinge for the sake of it is tiresome and pathetic.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by getluv

Unless you’re a regular full fare paying F pax, I can appreciate being annoyed when the route was announced however that was 15 months ago. That time has passed, move on and take your money elsewhere if it bothers you that’s much.

Even then you could argue there is a choice. You can go via SIN, continue to utilise the QF codeshares with EK, or take advantage of the numerous Oneworld carriers you can connect with.
There is no additional choice. There is simply a change of routing plus a reduction in flights with 1st ckass

You already can fly via Singapore, Thailand, China etc on other airlines ; the only difference now from Melbourne to London on QF is that the stop is in Perth rather than Dubai - that is not giving more choices - From Australia to UK there are still only 2 flights
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by og
I’d suggest this story on PER-LHR will be blasted for “6” right off the front pages of the media by the ball tampering crisis (that’s cricket at its finest form of cheating).
agree.

Do Qantas sponsor the Aussie cricket team?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by getluv
because having a general whinge for the sake of it is tiresome and pathetic.

Tiresome = the onslaught of QF PR drivel, that suck so many in!

Historic = one big publicity stunt.

Thank goodness for the various folk engaging in the various forums pointing out their opinions and the counterpoints to the QF mantra.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF is entirely correct: any taxpayers funds being thrown at an airline at a time when it's making a huge profit should rightly be open to scrutiny and question.

A reality check:
  • QF9 / QF10 is a minnow in the UK-Australia market (a few percent of the 1.3 million annual pax)
  • The distance flown is not remarkable
  • QF has cut 50% of its capacity between MEL and LHR
  • QF has cut 25% of its capacity between Australia and LHR
  • QF has cut 50% of its first class capacity between Australia and LHR
  • QF is not providing first class lounge facilities in SIN or LHR (or PER) for first pax and those with high tier status / CL
  • The lack of first class on the PER-LHR route may (or may not) be a missed opportunity
  • The market is increasingly being handed over to EK and EK will get the benefit of that whenever the QF-EK partnership dissolves (one suspects the return to SIN is partly a hedge anticipating such an event)
Family friends who regularly fly LHR-PER return on EK first and on last night's QF9 and are currently still in flight: it'll be interesting to learn of their feedback - first response was incredulity that QF elected to ditch first class.

In the meantime, my personal concerns as a QF FF and sometimes customer are that my options for redemptions to LHR got sliced (due to the cut in capacity) and that QF at $10,000 return can't compete with SQ at $6,500 business class return BNE-LHR for my upcoming trip for meetings in London and that IMHO there is no excuse for excessive call wait times and staff cuts in call centres when the airline is supposedly making money.

In June / July I'll be comparing the SYD-SIN A380 QF first product with the SIN-MEL A380 SQ first product....both daytime flights.

QF PR = smoke and mirrors....
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I'm impressed QF PR have managed to get so much free advertising for this flight.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
I'm impressed QF PR have managed to get so much free advertising for this flight.
Absolutely!

Aided by the travel media on free flights....
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Platy
[QF is not providing first class lounge facilities in SIN or LHR (or PER) for first pax and those with high tier status / CL
I agree with pretty much everything else - In London, though, in terminal 3 there are ,I believe, at least 2 1st class lounges that a 1st class passenger can use, by BA and CX.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by bensyd
And still nobody in this thread has answered the question about what the seat pitch, width and configuration (how many abreast?) is in Economy for this differently configured 787... which is what really counts, rather than marketing puff.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:20 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Calum
Look at the averages temperatures in MEL vs. DRW.
Aircraft do not operate with “average” temperatures. They need the exact temperature for performance calculations. DRW is not always hotter than MEL. In fact MEL temperatures can far exceed those in DRW.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I agree with pretty much everything else - In London, though, in terminal 3 there are ,I believe, at least 2 1st class lounges that a 1st class passenger can use, by BA and CX.
Absolutely. The point is that they aren't QF.

Perhaps someone who travels out of LHR on QF first can report on whether the options to use the BA and/ or CX first lounges are advised to first class passengers upon check in or whether folk are solely directed to the QF lounge (if at all).

(Interesting to consider that the various incoming media reports from those who travelled on the initial QF9 were made during exceptional circumstances...)
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:49 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by salut0

And still nobody in this thread has answered the question about what the seat pitch, width and configuration (how many abreast?) is in Economy for this differently configured 787... which is what really counts, rather than marketing puff.
The 787s for QF are all the same. They are 9 abreast.

You can see a picture in the Guardian article linked above that shows an average sized man looking to be wider than his seat.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by salut0

Have a read of the Guardian article linked up thread.

This seems to sum it up nicely...

It’s pretty cramped in this seat. I can’t type this story on the laptop as it’s too squashed while the person in front is reclining so I make notes on my mobile and watch the last episode of Fargo. Somehow I never saw it.
Seventeen hours in Y is seventeen hours in Y.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.