Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas goes direct Perth to London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I just saw this on the news tonight.

I feel for you. I cannot imagine doing 17 hours in F.

How many meals and snacks will you get?
Title caught my eye. Facts for now:

1. PER-LHR is the second longest flight trailing AKL-DOH by only 22 miles.
2. No F. Only J, PEY, and Y are available.
3. 17 hours aren't that bad. I am used to doing 16.5 hours in any ULH US to HKG gateways, so 30min longer wouldn't be that bad. EWR-SIN, however, would be quite a jump! Still bumped that I didn't get a chance to try that once before it's gone.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Title caught my eye. Facts for now:

1. PER-LHR is the second longest flight trailing AKL-DOH by only 22 miles.
2. No F. Only J, PEY, and Y are available.
3. 17 hours aren't that bad. I am used to doing 16.5 hours in any ULH US to HKG gateways, so 30min longer wouldn't be that bad. EWR-SIN, however, would be quite a jump! Still bumped that I didn't get a chance to try that once before it's gone.
And this is really their trial run - their ultimate goal is Australian East Coast to LHR non-stop - most likely to be out of SYD as Qantas according to Air Auckland - er, Air New Zealand - really should be called Air Sydney, and SYD is only 500 miles (740km) south of BNE which is their only other 787 base north of MEL, and MEL is likely too far south. DRW probably can't even land a 787.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
According to FR24 QF9 crossed the equator at 15:50hrs GMT. FR24 is also showing a current 02:45hrs LHR ETA (although I don’t believe this takes into account the clocks going forward one hour tonight). Even so, arriving passengers are going to find LHR T3 a trifle deserted at, say, 04:00hrs on a Sunday morning.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I imagine there's likely to be media presence for the first AU-UK non-stop to arrive, though not sure the likes of the Beeb are going to bother.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
According to FR24 QF9 crossed the equator at 15:50hrs GMT. FR24 is also showing a current 02:45hrs LHR ETA (although I don’t believe this takes into account the clocks going forward one hour tonight). Even so, arriving passengers are going to find LHR T3 a trifle deserted at, say, 04:00hrs on a Sunday morning.
Can it even arrive so early ? Heathrow bans arrivals before 0430 ?

Looks like there might be a bit of holding!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by drb1979
Can it even arrive so early ? Heathrow bans arrivals before 0430 ?

Looks like there might be a bit of holding!
After a 9,000 mile flight will the fuel tanks (let alone the passengers) be up to an extended holding pattern? FR24 has updated the ETA to 02:27hrs (that’s presumably GMT, so 03:27hrs BST). LHR’s own website still shows an ‘on time’ 05:10hrs arrival.

Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:34 am

After a 9,000 mile flight will the fuel tanks (let alone the passengers) be up to an extended holding pattern? FR24 has updated the ETA to 02:27hrs (that’s presumably GMT, so 03:27hrs BST). LHR’s own website still shows an ‘on time’ 05:10hrs arrival.

Good point, however short of declaring a fuel emergency I doubt they'll be able to land before 0430.

I assume FR has got it wrong, QF are not stupid - would be a bit embarrassing if after such a memorable flight they had to spend quite a long time holding outside of Heathrow!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by drb1979
Good point, however short of declaring a fuel emergency I doubt they'll be able to land before 0430.

I assume FR has got it wrong, QF are not stupid - would be a bit embarrassing if after such a memorable flight they had to spend quite a long time holding outside of Heathrow!
Flightradar is showing the time in G. I think they do this year round.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:08 pm

QF9’s flight crew appear to have taken their foot off the gas. FR24’s projected LHR ETA has gone from as early as 02:27hrs GMT to, at the time of writing (crossing the coastline of southern Iran), 03:55hrs GMT (04:55hrs BST). That’s a more sensible LHR ETA.

Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by marcosscriven
On way to SYD have to stop anyway, I quite like the idea of the last leg being ‘only’ four hours.
I love a shorter second leg.

On a long flight I love the feeling of knowing I'm over half way.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
At time of posting - just entering Turkish airspace.

https://www.flightradar24.com/QFA9/10d05b845

Already showing half an hour later than scheduled arrival.

Hasn't been too much media attention over here yet. But I'm expecting once it lands they'll be interviewing people in economy and asking what they thought of it. I hope to hear from not just those that started in Perth, but those that connected from Brisbane and Sydney and maybe those from the "direct" start in Melbourne to see what they think.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I love a shorter second leg.

On a long flight I love the feeling of knowing I'm over half way.
That was the case with transit points uch as Dubai and Singapore

I would be surprised if many people starting in MEL will feel that there is much benefit in splitng it to 1682 miles and 9010 miles vs the old 7231 and 3421 via DXB - especially those that had access to the EK 1st lounge when connecting

I also wouldn't have thought that it would be that newsworthy an event
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I'll definitely continue flying to Europe (and I mean Europe, not LHR) my usual way - MEL-SIN(or BKK)-FRA/ZRH/CDG or where ever on continent I want to be.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by kyanar
SYD is only 500 miles (740km) south of BNE which is their only other 787 base north of MEL, and MEL is likely too far south. DRW probably can't even land a 787.
Its not only about being 'south', it also needs to be less 'east'! Sydney is further away from Asia and the EU than Melbourne, as it is further east than MEL is south.

LHR - MEL 16,908 kms
LHR - SYD 17,020 kms
LHR - BNE 16,544 kms

BNE is the best east coast hub from a distance perspective, but for bums on seats and freight, SYD or MEL are better options.

That said, regardless of which one becomes the first east cost 787 hub, there will be someone who will need to make a 1 hour hop, which is totally palatable if it means a non-stop flight (which is the whole point).

It would come down to technicalities and if the 787 can even achieve 17k kms, or maybe it maxes out at BNE distances?

Last edited by davidj1; Mar 24, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:24 pm

Maybe it is just me. I'd rather 2 flights so I could have a break. Even if I have a 2 hour stopover. I'm crazy doing SYD to LAX.
As am I... which is why NZ is such a good "fit" for me... lol (Have flown FJ once too for the same reason)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.