Wiki Posts
Search

Q WP Access to SFO Cathay Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas WP, United Platinum
Q WP Access to SFO Cathay Lounge

Cathay now allows Q WP to access their lounge at SFO, curious if this is a recent development?

I was surprised when the check in person told me to go to the Cathay Lounge, I actually asked, "Are you sure??" She confirmed only WP have access.

I have been refused access before, within the last year, with no one in the lounge. No explanation, but bumping me down to Air France/KLM lounge.

Feel sorry for the Q Gold guy who tried to get in right after me, but got bounced :
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Previous report had been the first few to arrive received access later ones did not; whether SG, WP or CL.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by pwacher
Cathay now allows Q WP to access their lounge at SFO, curious if this is a recent development?

I was surprised when the check in person told me to go to the Cathay Lounge, I actually asked, "Are you sure??" She confirmed only WP have access.

I have been refused access before, within the last year, with no one in the lounge. No explanation, but bumping me down to Air France/KLM lounge.

Feel sorry for the Q Gold guy who tried to get in right after me, but got bounced :
CX should always allow Q WP (OW Emerald) and Q Gold (OW Saphire) into their SFO lounge if their next flight is a OW marketed and operated flight.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikalee
CX should always allow Q WP (OW Emerald) and Q Gold (OW Saphire) into their SFO lounge if their next flight is a OW marketed and operated flight.
WHat should be and what happens is another thing.

CX lounge attendents cite thinks like 'capacity restrictions, etc.".
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It's the same as BA lounges in USA not allowing OWE access for many years, citing "capacity constraint" even when the lounge is empty. CX lounge in SFO does fill up most days with CX pax so this is somewhat legitimate (similarly for SQ at SFO). I doubt that it is an actual WP benefit, sadly.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: QF WP, QF Lifetime Gold, SQ/*G, Velocity Rewards, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honours, Accor Le Club
Currently in SFO Cathay lounge awaiting QF74.
At checkin was told to go to Cathay Lounge. On arrival, BP scanned and name ticked off on a printed list. I presume this was a list of WPs on QF74 provided by QF.
Made to feel very welcome. Arrived about 2000. Lounge very airy and bright. good selection of food & drinks.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LifeTimeBronze
Currently in SFO Cathay lounge awaiting QF74.
At checkin was told to go to Cathay Lounge. On arrival, BP scanned and name ticked off on a printed list. I presume this was a list of WPs on QF74 provided by QF.
Made to feel very welcome. Arrived about 2000. Lounge very airy and bright. good selection of food & drinks.
There is a report on AFF today of an SG not "making the list" last week.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE)
I think access really depends on when you arrive. The earlier the better obviously. I am SG but flew with AY J class (normally uses Air France lounge) but got in no worries as the lounge was empty. This is an OK CX lounge with mediocre food but Hendrick's gin so cannot complain. And showers...! Lounge in USA are BLAH so do not get your hopes up too high!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
I flew QF74 last month and was also told that because of my OneWorld status I should use the CX lounge, and after granted entry and walked away from the front desk, I heard the staffer who let me in tell her coworker "Emerald"...staff was very polite and courteous, but it got REALLY crowded after about an hour
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
When I flew SFO to SYD in September on QF in J I was expecting to have to use the AF lounge, and when I asked about it at check in, the check in staff member said "don't go to the AF lounge, go to the CX lounge instead. It is much nicer." So I did, with no issues, but I guess I was getting in as a J pax not as an SG.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Also, was invited at QF SFO check in (November) to visit the CX lounge. The CX lounge desk person had a sheet of paper tallying QF pax by status (combining the SYD and MEL flights). There were about 20 CLs, about 16 P1s and 15 WPs. This was 2 hrs before departure.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
20 CLs on two flights! I thought CL members were meant to be rare!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:56 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I was speculating whether the CLs were related to Silicon Valley or possibly connected from SEA and Boeing. But yes, I too was most surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.