Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Punting advice for a Classic Upgrade to LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold

Just after a bit of advice and opinions.

Most of my flying is on QLink so I am rusty with all the changes over the years on International Upgrades.

I will be booking a WHY fare BNE-LAS for mid June. Out on a Monday (or Sunday) and return ex LAS on a Friday.

I can route via SYD or MEL, including DFW in either or both directions if it is best and I don't mind getting the traditional late morning departures from any of the BNE/SYD/MEL or even the evening QF95 ex MEL for the 787.

Being a WP I would like to put myself in the best possible position for a classic upgrade to J on the trans-pacific legs. Apart from the cost of points being different does the various Y booking classes alter upgrade priority or is it all down to status? Does PCV come into it?

Here is my list of priorities in order from most important to least.

1. Successul upgrade on return LAX-Eastern Australia
2. Successful upgrade on outbound Eastern Aus to LAX
3. Upgrade either the above to F or Y+
3. In the event of no upgrade most comfortable journey in Y.

What I am thinking is purchasing via MEL or SYD if you knowledgeable people think it will massively increase my chances of a successful upgrade and the fall back is WHY on the 787 or A380 or do you think the J upgrade in and out of BNE on the old 744 is a far higher chance? If it is all 50:50 or too hard to tell is it worth the extra travel south for the better products in the 787 or A380 in the event I am stuck in Y? I have only travelled on the A330 internationally in the last 10 years.

Currently their is no classic rewards in J or F on any of the dates I want to go.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikalee
<snip>
Here is my list of priorities in order from most important to least.
1. Successful upgrade on return LAX-Eastern Australia
2. Successful upgrade on outbound Eastern Aus to LAX
3. Upgrade either the above to F or Y+
4. In the event of no upgrade most comfortable journey in Y.
You also have PE as an upgrade option.
Paying $180? for an exit economy row or ?$ for a more desirable economy are other options

But you may have a better chance punting in Las Vegas ^

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 2, 2018 at 11:15 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Chances of an upgrade from Y to J are low at the best of times.

If there are spare seats in J then staff on duty travel have first priority, then staff and their family on non-duty travel. Then it's people in PE. Then people in Y get their chance. That assumes Qantas even chooses to fill the seats - they're often happy to fly with empty seats in J even though people have put in for upgrades. Sometimes they even do op-ups instead of points upgrades.

So assuming Qantas decides to upgrade people from Y into J - people get prioritised on the basis of both status and PCV. So being Platinum doesn't necessarily put you at the front of the pack. Solo travelers also tend to get priority, even when multiple seats are available.

That's a long way of saying that chances are low, and probably aren't going to be improved too much by altering your journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.