Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Domestic lounges - using on arrival.

QF Domestic lounges - using on arrival.

Reply

Old Feb 20, 18, 6:44 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold GL, EY Gold, AZ Alata Plus.
Posts: 454
QF Domestic lounges - using on arrival.

Hi folks,

Quick question.....i'm flying the QF red eye from PER-SYD tonight. Land in SYD at 06:25 then connect onto MH to KUL later that day (same ticket).

I have a good amount of time in Sydney in transit and would like to go into the city for a few hours instead of hanging around the airport.

Will I be able to grab a shower and coffee at the QF Dom J lounge on arrival in Sydney?

Many thanks
BH
bananahead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 18, 10:59 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cairns
Programs: QFF SG; IHG Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 66
Probably a bit late now but if you do check this thread upon landing and before leaving the airport. Yes you can enter the Dom J Lounge on arrival in SYD as long as the flight to KUL is one world marketed.
caviack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 18, 1:09 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 13,430
Originally Posted by bananahead View Post
I'm flying the QF red eye from PER-SYD tonight. Land in SYD at 06:25 then connect onto MH to KUL later that day (same ticket).

I have a good amount of time in Sydney in transit and would like to go into the city for a few hours instead of hanging around the airport.

Will I be able to grab a shower and coffee at the QF Dom J lounge on arrival in Sydney?
A similar thread a few days ago Access to QF Flounge After Flight

Did you visit the T3 lounge?
Mwenenzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 18, 3:07 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold GL, EY Gold, AZ Alata Plus.
Posts: 454
Hi folks,

Just to follow up, I had absolutely no problem using the lounge on arrival, even without mentioning my connecting flight.

On landing from Perth I simply showed my PER - SYD boarding card and said 'hello, i've just landed from the overnight flight from Perth. Would it be possible to use the lounge to freshen up'. The reply: 'Yes of course!'

It's really nice to see an airline that can show a little flexibility instead of a 'computer says nooooo' response. It is one area where I find QF really excels.
bananahead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 18, 6:15 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: HK
Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
Posts: 2,626
bananahead, are you qantad WP?
fakecd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 18, 1:42 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,072
Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
bananahead, are you qantad WP?
I doubt it. They indicate BAEC Emerald with thier profile.

Presumably @banahead was traveling in Business Class from PER.

If so, they had access in at least 3 ways.

Emerald traveling on *O (MH to KUL)
Business SYD to KUL on *O
Business QF PER-SYD on undocumented red eye arrivals access that has been reported.
serfty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 18, 8:33 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold GL, EY Gold, AZ Alata Plus.
Posts: 454
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
I doubt it. They indicate BAEC Emerald with thier profile.

Presumably @banahead was traveling in Business Class from PER.

If so, they had access in at least 3 ways.

Emerald traveling on *O (MH to KUL)
Business SYD to KUL on *O
Business QF PER-SYD on undocumented red eye arrivals access that has been reported.
Lol, all of the above really.

I'm OW Emerald. Was travelling J QF PER-SYD. And same day MH J SYD-KUL.

I didn't mention anything to the lounge host about my connecting flight though. I thought i'd have to give out a whole drawn story about my itinerary but as soon as I said i'd just landed from the PER overnight in J and flashed my BC I was welcomed in.
bananahead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 18, 11:24 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australia
Programs: QF
Posts: 897
You were admitted because you were flying in business on the overnight flight from PER. Arrivals access at the domestic lounges is otherwise only available to Qantas Platinum members and higher.
eminere is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 18, 11:41 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,072
Originally Posted by eminere View Post
You were admitted because you were flying in business on the overnight flight from PER. Arrivals access at the domestic lounges is otherwise only available to Qantas Platinum members and higher.
Sure, that's the arrivals access bit; there is also the departures aspects that I have outlined.

Note that I have used the Domestic Qantas Business lounges in MEL/SYD/BNE many times before an international flight.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 21, 18 at 11:47 pm
serfty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 18, 2:24 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australia
Programs: QF
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Sure, that's the arrivals access bit; there is also the departures aspects that I have outlined.

Note that I have used the Domestic Qantas Business lounges in MEL/SYD/BNE many times before an international flight.
For lounge admittance based on

Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Emerald traveling on *O (MH to KUL)
Business SYD to KUL on *O
The OP would've been entitled to use the domestic business lounge in PER and not necessarily the domestic business lounge in SYD on arrival. My interpretation of the access rules for oneworld Emerald and international business oneworld passengers is that the PER-SYD flight is the connecting flight that qualifies the OP to departures lounge access in PER. They don't mention anything about arrivals access to the domestic lounge at the intermediate airport, unlike the explicit rules for Qantas Platinum and higher passengers. (The OP would of course have access to the international business lounge in SYD as a departing passenger prior to the SYD-KUL flight.)

Eligible oneworld Status

Emerald
Next onward flight that day must be on a oneworld operated and marketed flight.#

International Business oneworld Customers
Eligible if travelling on a Qantas domestic flight connecting to or from a oneworld flight in International Business on the same day

Last edited by eminere; Feb 22, 18 at 2:31 am
eminere is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 18, 2:15 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,072
I think we are saying the same thing.

There are several ways the OP has access, MH*MH SYD-KUL providing more than one of these avenues.
serfty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 18, 6:59 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 4,643
Hi folks, there is clearly a good deal of QF lounge expertise here and I think, from the thread postings to date, that I already have one part of my question answered. But here goes, if I may :

Will be arriving PER mid-evening, on a QF domestic from BNE. Ticketed in J (and also hold OW Emerald membership via BAEC). I then connect, around 3 hours later, to a QR flight to Doha which departs Terminal 1 - and which, I understand has a QF lounge available which has apparently (??) been maintained largely/ purely to serve QR and CX pax.

From other posts it appears that I would be permitted access to the QF domestic business lounge in T4 on arrival at PER. If so, I would aim to spend an hour or so there and enjoy a little food, prior to getting myself across to T1. My only reason for wishing to do this is that I have seen mention of the T1 ‘international’ lounge being rather average (not least because so much attention has been diverted to the dedicated lounge / facilities for the new QF9 non-stop) compared to the QF domestic lounge in T4 (which I have used before and consider very pleasant).

All guidance & advice appreciated, TIA.
subject2load is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 18, 1:13 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 13,430
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
..Will be arriving PER mid-evening, on a QF domestic from BNE. Ticketed in J (and also hold OW Emerald membership via BAEC). I then connect, around 3 hours later, to a QR flight to Doha which departs Terminal 1 - and which, I understand has a QF lounge available which has apparently (??) been maintained largely/ purely to serve QR and CX pax.

From other posts it appears that I would be permitted access to the QF domestic business lounge in T4 on arrival at PER....
You will not have arrival lounge access. You would not be using T4 lounge on arrival. You would be using the T4 lounge prior to departure.
Others will know if this will work for an QR international flight.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/per/-1
Mwenenzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 18, 11:02 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 4,643
@Mwenenzi - Thank you for responding

Your view that I would not have access to the QF domestic lounge after arrival would appear to be at odds with the experience reported by bananahead above, who flew PER-SYD in J and was then connecting to MH, on to KUL (also in J), later that same day (same ticket). He/she was promptly granted access to the QF domestic lounge on arrival at SYD :

I didn't mention anything to the lounge host about my connecting flight though. I thought i'd have to give out a whole drawn story about my itinerary but as soon as I said i'd just landed from the PER overnight in J and flashed my BC I was welcomed in”.

My own combination of flights seems very similar :

I will be flying BNE-PER in J, and then connecting to QR, on to DOH (also in J), later that same day (same ticket).

And yet you sound very sure that I would not be granted access to QF domestic lounge on my arrival in PER, in the way that bananahead was on arrival at SYD. Are the two scenarios not directly comparable .... ?
subject2load is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:01 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 13,430
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
And yet you sound very sure that I would not be granted access to QF domestic lounge on my arrival in PER, in the way that bananahead was on arrival at SYD. Are the two scenarios not directly comparable .... ?
You will not get access based on arrival. Lounges are for departures.
But you may get QF domestic T4 access based on your later QR J departure & BA status. Their is a difference. Worth trying.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread