Qantas reward booking from HKG

Old Feb 19, 18, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Qantas reward booking from HKG

HELLO, I WAS JUST WONDERING IF SOMEBODY WITH OVER 222,000 qantas points in their account could please do me a massive favour and tell me how much the taxes would be on a multi-city booking originating in Hong Kong. I haven't got enough points in my account yet but just want to know how much it will cost. If possible could you check Hong Kong to Zurich in Cathay business and then Dubai to Melbourne in Emirates first class all on the same booking. Much appreciated.
Old Feb 19, 18, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sid2017 View Post
Hello, I was just wondering if somebody with over 222,000 qantas points in their account could please do me a massive favour and tell me how much the taxes would be on a multi-city booking originating in Hong Kong. I haven't got enough points in my account yet but just want to know how much it will cost. If possible could you check Hong Kong to Zurich in Cathay business and then Dubai to Melbourne in Emirates first class all on the same booking. Much appreciated.
Do you mean (real) taxes or the QF carrier imposed surcharge?
Have you looked at the QF web site? Just look for HKG-ZRH and DXB-MEL.
Note from the end of March QF will not fly DXB-MEL. Would have to be on EK,
There are better frequent flyer programs than QF

Edit. As separate bookings
Looked for DXB-MEL on a random date in March. Award on EK (QF not available)
First is 144,000 QF points & 1790 (AED) [AUD 616] [USD 487] taxes, fees and carrier charges payable to Qantas (excludes any amounts payable to third parties at the airport).

Looked for HKG-ZRH on a random date in March. Award on CX
Business is 78,000 QF points & $345 (HKD) [AUD 56] [USD 44] taxes, fees and carrier charges payable to Qantas (excludes any amounts payable to third parties at the airport).

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 19, 18 at 3:17 pm
Old Feb 19, 18, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your reply. I am looking for how much Qantas charge in taxes and fees but because I don't have enough points in my account, I can't do a dummy booking and check how much they will charge.

i'm definitely looking at going Emirates first class on the 380 later in the year and I'm not fussed that it stops in Singapore, still costs the same amount in points.

If you do the booking as one booking though through the multi-city function, I'm pretty sure that the taxes and fees on the DXB-MEL leg will be significantly reduced if the booking originates in HKG.
Old Feb 21, 18, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver, QF Gold
I'm currently querying the taxes out of HKG on redemption tickets. They are several hundred HKD higher than a cash fare on the same QF flight. I believe this is YQ but I'm having trouble getting an explanation from Qantas - has anyone had any experiences of YQ being incorrectly charged ex-HKG?

It's a shame they hide the breakdown of taxes both on the website and e-ticket.

Edit: Looking at the e-ticket via Finnair they do indeed appear to be charging YQ:HKD187 YQ

Last edited by wellsy; Feb 21, 18 at 7:33 am Reason: Updated with YQ
Old Feb 21, 18, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wellsy View Post
It's a shame they hide the breakdown of taxes both on the website and e-ticket.

Edit: Looking at the e-ticket via Finnair they do indeed appear to be charging YQ:HKD187 YQ
Do not confuse real taxes and carrier imposed surcharges
Carrier imposed surcharges are not taxes. Are 100% airline profit.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: