Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Melbourne domestic lounge under construction?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Melbourne domestic lounge under construction?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by grinna
Paper and digital complimentary invitations are unable to be used at Melbourne Qantas Club during this period.
----------

By "Paper and digital complimentary invitations are unable to be used at Melbourne Qantas Club during this period." do they mean the aforementioned peak periods each day, or just "the period" of renovations?

...ticket for my brother for Wednesday 5:10pm MEL-CBR and transferred a complimentary lounge pass for him to use

It means what it says, it is unlikely your brother will gain access and you may lose the invite.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by serfty
It means what it says, it is unlikely your brother will gain access and you may lose the invite.
So I found out. Didn't lose the invite though as I just transferred it to him, didn't link it to the booking prior as I knew this risk.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: QF, HH
It's been a while:

kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I finally visited the MEL Business lounge on a Friday afternoon, and it was standing room only. I eventually did find a seat, but the place was uncomfortably crowded for the hour or so that I visited. Looking forward to a future visit when the construction works are completed. For now, it's not a very pleasant place to be.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by transportprof
....the MEL Business lounge on a Friday afternoon....was uncomfortably crowded
You didn't have access to the new Q Club lounge?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LukeO9
You didn't have access to the new Q Club lounge?
Huh?!

At Melbourne Domestic, you walk through the Q Club lounge to reach the business lounge.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Huh?!

At Melbourne Domestic, you walk through the Q Club lounge to reach the business lounge.
Both were heaving. There were more people standing in the Q lounge than in the Business Lounge on Friday. It probably didn't help that a number of flights to Sydney had been cancelled that evening. I wonder what went on with that?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It probably didn't help that a number of flights to Sydney had been cancelled that evening. I wonder what went on with that?
You are unlikely to get the official reason from QF but there has been an ongoing issue with pilot shortages.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Huh?!

Right, hence the question. i.e. why go to the business lounge...was the Q Club just as crowded?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Right, hence the question. i.e. why go to the business lounge...was the Q Club just as crowded?
From the OP's reply, yes.

I guess for @transportprof , it was a choice of between standing around and consuming better F&B in the Business lounge or standing around and consuming the lesser QP fare.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:40 am

Both were heaving. There were more people standing in the Q lounge than in the Business Lounge on Friday. It probably didn't help that a number of flights to Sydney had been cancelled that evening. I wonder what went on with that?
High winds at SYD had it down to a single runway. I was in BNE earlier that day and heard this announced as reason for some BNE-SYD delays, and was in MEL that evening and it was still going on. Many flights being called an hour or more late, QF lounge staff said that almost every second flight was being cancelled. When we got into SYD it was a bumpy landing! Never fear, am hearing the first part of the 'all-new' MEL J lounge will open end of August.

Last edited by djsflynn; Jul 25, 2018 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: Qantas Club PS + bar, CX Riffraff, Krisflyer Balsa
I was in MEL domestic QP last week and was dismayed to see that the new Business lounge has taken away our previous tarmac views. The QP now looks like a cafeteria to me as there seemed to be more (dining) tables and chairs than lounges. Place was bustling and appears that the QP has shrunk considerably. Saw on the back wall they were expanding into the terminal area - Poo!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Groundfeeder
I was in MEL domestic QP last week and was dismayed to see that the new Business lounge has taken away our previous tarmac views.
Yep, that's about the size of it. The new lounge MEL 'domestic lounge precinct' will eventually see the Business Lounge and Qantas Club as almost mirror-images of each other – Business Lounge stretched along where the windows / views are, and Qantas Club on the other window-less side of the escalators. The final stage of works (post-Sept) will see the Qantas Club gain some extra space through a dogleg into the current Business Lounge, as well as windows to the interior of the terminal. #Luxury
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:18 pm

So, in the current state, is the Melbourne domestic business lounge worth it? I'm flying MEL-SYD and not sure whether or not it is worth it to use my Avios for J?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by calza
So, in the current state, is the Melbourne domestic business lounge worth it? I'm flying MEL-SYD and not sure whether or not it is worth it to use my Avios for J?
There are 2 lounges at MEL:- QF club and slightly better business lounge
What day of week and time of day would you travel?
The lounges are busy early morning & can be very busy later afternoon (16:30-18:00).
But does vary day to day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.