Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred seating domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
Preferred seating domestic flights

With One World Emerald Status Qantas tell me that I am able to access preferred seating which will show up on the seat map at time of booking

When I do a dummy bookings with and without my status the seat map is exactly the same.

What are these preferred seats and are they worth the effort as I am told they do not include the exit row extra leg room which are fee to status holders at time of booking with BA.

The last time I flew domestic Qantas some 6 years ago I dont recall having any problem with selecting exit row seats.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:18 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
You (and everyone else) now have to pay for exit row seats. Status doesn't help - sadly.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
Preferred Seating

Thanks for the advice will now pay up for exit row on the assumption that status is unlikely to improve leg room.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by og
You (and everyone else) now have to pay for exit row seats. Status doesn't help - sadly.
Does this change at all closer to departure? I just realized the same thing OP did. I'm on a flight from Melbourne to Broome and want the extra leg room so I'm willing to pay but wanted to see if perhaps it opens up.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:55 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Does this change at all closer to departure? I just realized the same thing OP did. I'm on a flight from Melbourne to Broome and want the extra leg room so I'm willing to pay but wanted to see if perhaps it opens up.
Sometimes when check in opens these seats may open up for free. Otherwise ask at the airport.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:08 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
A friend recently told me that they were assigned an exit row seat when checking in at the airport. They had no QF status and did not have an allocated seat prior to checkin.
If there was a choice, I’d take the second exit row seat (row 14 ?) which IIRC will recline but the exit row seat infront doesn’t recline.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by og

A friend recently told me that they were assigned an exit row seat when checking in at the airport. They had no QF status and did not have an allocated seat prior to checkin.
If there was a choice, I’d take the second exit row seat (row 14 ?) which IIRC will recline but the exit row seat infront doesn’t recline.
Thanks for the info. I'm just going to pay the $60 and not bother with waiting until check-in. If it opened up 3 or 4 days before then I would probably take my chances.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unless you are happy that you may end up not being able to get an exit row seat, then I would suggest just paying. You could just end up with the seats gone and not being able to get them at all
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Originally Posted by og

On the Australian registered 737s both rows 13 and 14 (the overwing exit rows) recline - the crew should come through after takeoff and unlock rows 12 and 13 (there is a switch at shin level in the aisle which locks the recline on the seats in row 12 and 13).

On the New Zealand registered jetconnect 737s only row 14 reclines (rows 12 and 13 are permanently stuck in the bolt upright position - there's no switch to unlock them).

If you are going to go for a window seat - row 14 is slightly better for space - there is a recess for the window right where your arm and shoulder are - whereas on 13 the cabin wall is right where your shoulder is giving you less space. The flip side of this is that it's a little more awkward to look out of the window in row 14 as compared to row 13.

I think 14A is the best economy seat on the plane (closely followed by 14F). I prefer to to row 4 because the seat is wider as there is effectively no arm rest up against the window.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
After reading this thread, I just splurged and used AA miles to book QF biz for MEL-CNS and CNS-SYD. I have tons of miles and I didn't want to play the game of waiting for a possible exit row.
I'm sure biz is nothing special, but at least a better seat, and maybe something to eat. The flights are long enough (3 to 3-1/2 hours) that it seems worthwhile.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:21 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by aztimm
After reading this thread, I just splurged and used AA miles to book QF biz for MEL-CNS and CNS-SYD. I have tons of miles and I didn't want to play the game of waiting for a possible exit row.
I'm sure biz is nothing special, but at least a better seat, and maybe something to eat. The flights are long enough (3 to 3-1/2 hours) that it seems worthwhile.
For QF J seating think AA domestic F and you'll be in the ball park.
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.