Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

KUL-SYD Business on Malaysian credited as Flex Economy?

KUL-SYD Business on Malaysian credited as Flex Economy?

Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
It could be simplified if it showed the specific fare classes for each category, rather than requiring you to manually look up yet another table.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not suggesting that the information provided is the best that Qantas could manage

What I am saying is that those developing software generally work to a specification ; if the specification leads to something that isn't best for the users which the customer is writing it for it is not the fault of the person implementing the code but the responsibility of the people who came up with the design and those that did acceptance testing

It is most unreasonable to call the person who wrote the code a "twit" if he produced that which the customer requested

The MH situation is , as you say, an oddity - allocating CDIZAF to Flexible economy could be a much simpler way to implement the handling of such an outlier than to have special coding inside the programme to handle special case MH flights - one requires recoding , the other just a modification of a mapping table

When being written, there may not have been expectation by designers that business class would be treated as economy for earnings on an airline
FWIW I've been on both sides of various IT-reliant implementations - client and supplier - so I totally get where you're coming from.

To clarify, Dave, the "twit" is whoever at QF scoped / approved / signed off, etc., the calculator in a form that misses the mark in some regards, including the irregularity cited in this thread...someone in the organisation would carry the responsibility for seeking to ensure full scoping of the various customer scenarios (presumably with the input and guidance of the everyday IT folk). Or the job may not have been scoped at that level of detail and IT took the initiative.

The main point here is that it is easy to envisage an improved outcome in presenting the information for the customer.

If the QF calculator itself can't accommodate the exceptions with clarity then it may be a lot to ask many customers to be able to map the relationship between cabin class / fare type, to fare class code, to frequent flyer earn category, particularly since it is not always easy to locate the fare class code.

IMHO The calculator concept in itself is obviously an excellent one and arguably essential to inform the customer on their FF earn: it is these very sorts of situations where a well executed internet tool can add great value for both supplier and customer.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:01 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[/mod hat] Closed for moderator review [/mod hat]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.