Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Flew Qantas for a year, not impressed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry

I started a 4 year work contract in Australia so needed to decide between Qantas and Virgin for the local flights. Based on friends I picked Qantas, once I got a feel for them I would switch over completely. The trans pacific legs.

its been a year I hit the gold level and see no reason to continue. I still use UA and AirNZ for he trans pacific again for no particular reason. I am 1K on united

For the the next year I will try Virgin Australia for the local flights and if that works out I’ll use Virgin Atlantic for the trans pacific.

qantas really couldn’t care less for th 8-10 transpacific flights in business every year, as I sent them a note to status challenge and never got an answer after 8 months , even at gold it’s not that great

Hopefully others have some good experiences with Virgin I can look forward to .
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
For the the next year I will try Virgin Australia for the local flights and if that works out I’ll use Virgin Atlantic for the trans pacific.
It'll be Virgin Australia for the trans-Pacific too.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I am WP with both QF and VA and utilize that to maximise my travel comfort. More than half of my status earn is with premium cabin fare on AA and DL in the USA.

It's a shame the VA and NZ are seemingly in the throws of a divorce; that was looking like a useful partnership for a while.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by serfty
I am WP with both QF and VA and utilize that to maximise my travel comfort. More than half of my status earn is with premium cabin fare on AA and DL in the USA.

It's a shame the VA and NZ are seemingly in the throws of a divorce; that was looking like a useful partnership for a while.
that might make a lot more sense to get away from United and use Delta and Virgin , that would cover all my travel with th old Northwest routes and the local Virgin flights. Plus the virgin LAX to Australia

always food for thought on these forums
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
qantas really couldn’t care less for th 8-10 transpacific flights in business every year, as I sent them a note to status challenge and never got an answer after 8 months , even at gold it’s not that great
The thing is though, QF status is very easy to attain if you are flying QF in J or F, so they probably don't feel inclined to give it away anyway.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Any other observations that drive your conclusion, beyond not responding to your status challenge email?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Any other observations that drive your conclusion, beyond not responding to your status challenge email?
Yes, the qantas club seems to be packed all the time and there are 2 levels above the standard club the one I have access to is called qantas business and then there is a upper level behind a sliding black door, I don't know much about that one other than it exists

Both the qantas club and the Business club are packed, to the point where its nicer to sit in the food court or table restaurant in the terminal than bump around the lounge

One nice thing is the make a ham sandwich bar , quite nice to make a fresh sandwich and take it on the flight vs the food box they serve you.

Along with everyone having access to the lounges it seems everyone is in priority boarding as well. the boarding que for priority is often longer than the non

the planes and people on the planes are nice enough and don't cause any grief, the qantas FFP seems to have a "special offer" everyday for wine, insurance, credit cards. I cant find a way to opt out of the special deal emails

So I guess they haven't done anything drastic to lose my business but they haven't done anything special to keep it. Maybe Virgin is more of the same but I don't think I will miss out at Qantas

Maybe next year I'll go back to Qantas, flip-flop
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The thing is though, QF status is very easy to attain if you are flying QF in J or F, so they probably don't feel inclined to give it away anyway.
Yes it is easy to hit gold , a few trips Melbourne to perth in business and you are sorted.
I was able to maintain United 1K and qantas gold and I really don't fly that much, long haul on united and jumps on qantas
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yes, the qantas club seems to be packed all the time

Both the qantas club and the Business club are packed, to the point where its nicer to sit in the food court or table restaurant in the terminal than bump around the lounge
I found that with the VA clubs too when I was trying both QF & VA out.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:26 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
qantas really couldn’t care less for th 8-10 transpacific flights in business every year, as I sent them a note to status challenge and never got an answer after 8 months , ...
So 8 one way trans Pacific flights in Business will get you QF Platinum (there are easier ways). If the trips are return, then you’d be close to / or have achieved P1. If you are seeking entry to the unmarked lounge doors (CL), you’ll need to be invited. I can’t remember the last time QF announced any status match program (if ever).

Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og

So 8 one way trans Pacific flights in Business will get you QF Platinum (there are easier ways). If the trips are return, then you’d be close to / or have achieved P1. If you are seeking entry to the unmarked lounge doors (CL), you’ll need to be invited. I can’t remember the last time QF announced any status match program (if ever).

hello OG, I only started out to hit gold and see how that level would make the Qantas travel better than starter status. If they had a great program I would have switched the 8 (one way) flights over and embraced the Qantas life for the next few years

so far nothing makes me want to be 100% Qantas

is platinum leaps and bounds above gold? I don’t need to be a CL invite , lounges are lounges and usually any airport has better food in the pay restaurants. Lounges are great for showers and a wind down drink if you are off peak times

united has its ups and downs as well but I maintain the 1k status pretty easy and can navigate the program waters with ease.

like I said I might find the virgin koolaid is just the same as Qantas , as other have posted. So this might just be trading 4 quarters for a dollar ( 5 Aussie 20 cent , lol)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't be setting out with the QF FF scheme - these days it is very poor

As far as travel goes - which airline best meets your travel needs?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: VA Gold
If you're going to be doing a lot of VA flying, Velocity would be a good bet. Just for the minimum flights (to get Gold is 4, Platinum 8 sectors in your "year"). This would of course then gain you, as Platinum, access to DL lounges, free (space available) C+ upgrades (DL), free economyX (VA) and lounge benefits on EY, VS (and perhaps soon AC, whenever they figure that stuff out)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I wouldn't be setting out with the QF FF scheme - these days it is very poor

As far as travel goes - which airline best meets your travel needs?
both Virgin and Qantas get to where I need to go in Australia, both have options for trans pacific so it comes down to who makes it easier to participate. Cost per mile and customer service

Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by og

A few years ago they matched Air NZ. Not really expecting that to come around again any time soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.