Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas domestic lounge access - no status with One World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

We will be flying on AC from Canada to Sydney this April.
We have no status with any One World airline.

We will then fly several domestic flights within Australia.

The question is how to access the Qantas lounges (free of charge)?

1. AMEX Canada does allow one to transfer Membership rewards points to BA Executive Club as Avios Points. So if I book a QF domestic flight in business class using Avios points, will I get lounge access?
2. Will I get lounge access if I buy paid QF business class tickets?

The answers to above 2 questions are not as obvious as it seems. Flying business class on AC will get you lounge access; flying domestic business class on most US carriers (often even if one has status with that airline) will not get that person lounge access.

3. Will I get lounge access if I buy paid Jetstar business class tickets?

4. Any other means to access the lounges?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

1. AMEX Canada does allow one to transfer Membership rewards points to BA Executive Club as Avios Points. So if I book a QF domestic flight in business class using Avios points, will I get lounge access?
3. Will I get lounge access if I buy paid Jetstar business class tickets?
4. Any other means to access the lounges?
1. Yes
2. Yes
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. No. JQ is nothing to do with QF when is suits QF. QF mid/top status & paid QF Club membership gets you QF club/lounge access when flying JQ. However at SYD & MEL the JQ terminal is a hike from the Q clubs/lounges.

4. You could join the QF club for a large $ fee. But the cost would be prohibitive for a few visits.
Or you could fly VA and use your Amex plat card for VA lounge, if that works as your other posts. VA & AC are codeshare partners, but not ff partners
https://www.virginaustralia.com/nz/e...rs/air-canada/
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

I assume you're wanting to fly J not just pay/use points for J to access the lounge. They're really nothing special, the J lounge is slightly less packed than the Qantas Club, but certainly nothing you'd go out of your way to spend time in.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FlyerGoldII
Some domestic Qantas lounges have 2 sections:-
- Qantas club
- Business lounge, with slightly better food/booze. Access if flying business class or top status
Over crowding can be an issue with either at peak times.

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...club/global/en
Lounge Locations | Australia | Sydney Domestic | Domestic Business
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: QFF SG, AAdvantage, LM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe one can buy a 30 day AA Admiral's Club membership which will grant access to Qantas Clubs. It might be the cheapest way of getting lounge access if it's that important to you, OP.

As already mentioned, a business class boarding pass will get you into Business Lounges (or to the single Qantas Club in stations that don't have two lounges). So if you're planning to fly J, you'll have all the lounge time you want.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LimaFoxtrotRomeo
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe one can buy a 30 day AA Admiral's Club membership which will grant access to Qantas Clubs.
No. Not now. AA stopped selling the 30 day membership some time ago. Was a good deal
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: QFF SG, AAdvantage, LM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No. Not now. AA stopped selling the 30 day membership some time ago. Was a good deal
Thanks for the updated info!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by pandaperth
1. Yes
2. Yes
To add slightly to that, and to address bensyd's point about not making too big a deal about the lounges: Booking QF domestic flights using Avios can be a very good deal on some routes, and on some routes availability is very good if you're prepared to be a little bit flexible.

However, many of the trunk routes are so short, and the respective airport terminals so efficient and pleasant, that it's really an unnecessary (albeit welcome) luxury either to use a lounge or to fly business class. It may be different if you have in mind a particular occasion on which you really do need the facilities of a lounge, for example to be able to shower and freshen up after a long-haul flight.
DML and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
3. No. JQ is nothing to do with QF when is suits QF. QF mid/top status & paid QF Club membership gets you QF club/lounge access when flying JQ. However at SYD & MEL the JQ terminal is a hike from the Q clubs/lounges.

4. You could join the QF club for a large $ fee. But the cost would be prohibitive for a few visits.
Or you could fly VA and use your Amex plat card for VA lounge, if that works as your other posts. VA & AC are codeshare partners, but not ff partners
https://www.virginaustralia.com/nz/e...rs/air-canada/
Amex Canada stated that the Canadian Platinum AMEX card does not have reciprocal privileges with the Australian AMEX in terms of Virgin Australia lounge access, if flying Virgin Australia.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Let me explain why the questions - I will expand my statements in my opening post.

We plan to arrive from Canada on AC in Sydney on April 14.. Flight arrives before 8;30 am. We plan to fly Melbourne that day.

If some sort of arrival lounge was available, I would try to access that type of lounge. But at least for Star Alliance carriers, that is not possible. (Does Qantas have an arrival lounge for is high tier or business/first class passengers).

1. It seems that I can use BA's Executive Club Avios points to get access to Qantas economy or business class seats. I can get BA Avious points by transferring AMEX Membership Reward points to the BA account..

So on April 14, the only economical (ie free) way of getting lounge access is flying business class on Qantas between Sydney and Melbourne. Lots of business class availability on the 2 pm flight (I confirmed that by the KVS tool, and by the Avios flight availability page).

I see that the Qantas business class lounge is better than the Qantas lounge?

2. We will be flying from Melbourne to Hobart to Cairns back to Sydney.
So can use Avios points again.

Except for Hobart to Cairns, it is worth going on business class over economy class? Is it worth getting lounge access by flying business class on those flights?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Amex Canada stated that the Canadian Platinum AMEX card does not have reciprocal privileges with the Australian AMEX in terms of Virgin Australia lounge access, if flying Virgin Australia.
Do you have the Platinum Charge card; if so , I would expect that you would get into the Virgin Lounge - there are others with ineligible platinum charge cards who get in with no issue
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We plan to arrive from Canada on AC in Sydney on April 14.. Flight arrives before 8;30 am. We plan to fly Melbourne that day.

If some sort of arrival lounge was available, I would try to access that type of lounge. But at least for Star Alliance carriers, that is not possible. (Does Qantas have an arrival lounge for is high tier or business/first class passengers).

1. It seems that I can use BA's Executive Club Avios points to get access to Qantas economy or business class seats. I can get BA Avious points by transferring AMEX Membership Reward points to the BA account..

So on April 14, the only economical (ie free) way of getting lounge access is flying business class on Qantas between Sydney and Melbourne. Lots of business class availability on the 2 pm flight (I confirmed that by the KVS tool, and by the Avios flight availability page).

I see that the Qantas business class lounge is better than the Qantas lounge?
That's the sort of situation I was wondering about. In your shoes, I would be doing what you're thinking of doing; overall it should be a pretty decent value way of getting yourself to Melbourne. The Business Lounge is the better lounge, but in your position it seems to be an academic question as you'll either get access to the Business Lounge or to neither.

QF has no arrivals lounge as such at Sydney, although it is possible for some of its own top tier frequent flyers to use a domestic lounge as an arrivals lounge if they're prepared to change terminals for that.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
That's the sort of situation I was wondering about. In your shoes, I would be doing what you're thinking of doing; overall it should be a pretty decent value way of getting yourself to Melbourne. The Business Lounge is the better lounge, but in your position it seems to be an academic question as you'll either get access to the Business Lounge or to neither.

QF has no arrivals lounge as such at Sydney, although it is possible for some of its own top tier frequent flyers to use a domestic lounge as an arrivals lounge if they're prepared to change terminals for that.
Does the Qantas club lounge or Qantas business lounge in the domestic terminal have shower facilities?
Does it have lounge chairs, so one can a brief nap?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the Qantas club lounge or Qantas business lounge in the domestic terminal have shower facilities?
Yes, they both do.

If I remember correctly, you need to stop at the reception desk inside the lounge to pick up a pack containing towels, bath mat etc. But toiletries etc are inside the shower rooms themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.