Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Transfer T3 to T1 SYD without International flight

Old Jan 18, 18, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG,OW Emerald

For this transfer the website says
A shuttle bus service is available to passengers that are traveling or have traveled on a Qantas flight (including codeshare flights) or oneworld flight.
So I should be able to fly ADL- SYD on QF and txf to T1 with just my arrival boarding pass. And I have done this a few times in the past taking a family member right up to immigration before turning around and flying home. Last time however I was refused. But I didn't know the wording of the website so was in not position to challenge.

Does any one have recent experiences of using the 'seamless' transfer without an international flight?

(The return path T1 to T3 has never been an issue as I have the boarding pass they expect and the system can't really know I didn't just land from overseas)
Old Jan 18, 18, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
In the early days, WP could use it any time - both ways. (They'd provide a dummy' boarding pass.)

However, officially this ceased sometime in the last decade - anecdotally on occasions occasionally they'd let you through but there is no certainty.

I suspect these days P!/CL would have little trouble.
Old Jan 18, 18, 2:12 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald)
Did a domestic T3 to T1 vice versa earlier this month. You need a valid BP as it will be scanned prior to boarding the bus to respective terminals.
Old Jan 18, 18, 3:24 pm

I do T3-T1 regularly with just an onward itinerary for a non QF flight.

Returning T1-T3 they usually insist on a printed BP, though on occasion I've gotten through with a mobile BP, or even just the QFF card.
IME you won't get on that bus without, at least, a valid barcode to scan and consequent green light.
Old Jan 18, 18, 6:15 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
For interest's sake, last week I came back from HKG to SYD and was continuing on to MEL. It appears that the BP printer in HKG was acting up and the barcode on my domestic BP was unreadable to the scanners. The guy at the transfer bus tried several times to scan the BP witjh no success, and then gave up and let me on the bus anyawy! (I eventually got a new BP at the domestic lounge).
Old Jan 19, 18, 4:57 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Lucky_man View Post
For this transfer the website says
So I should be able to fly ADL- SYD on QF and txf to T1 with just my arrival boarding pass. And I have done this a few times in the past taking a family member right up to immigration before turning around and flying home. Last time however I was refused. But I didn't know the wording of the website so was in not position to challenge.

Does any one have recent experiences of using the 'seamless' transfer without an international flight?

(The return path T1 to T3 has never been an issue as I have the boarding pass they expect and the system can't really know I didn't just land from overseas)
After flying QF ADL/SYD what airline are you flying with ex SYD? Are both flights on the same ticket?

As long as you either have HLO or bags that have been through checked to your onward destination (and therefore don't need to be collected in SYD) you can use the QF airside shuttle bus.

I flew with HLO on QF BNE/SYD then had a separate booking on JQi SYD/MEL so I had no boarding pass and there was no issue using the airside shuttle bus from T3 to T1.

The only time you can't use it is when you have two separate bookings and checked baggage as your bags will have only been checked to SYD and you can't take suitcases on the airside shuttle bus. In this instance
you either need to take the TBus out the front of the terminal after baggage claim or take the train one stop from domestic to international.

A lot of the arrival PA announcements into SYD by cabin crew can be a bit misleading and don't reflect the above.
Old Jan 19, 18, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozflygirl747 View Post
After flying QF ADL/SYD what airline are you flying with ex SYD? Are both flights on the same ticket?
My flights are ADL-SYD(T3) and SYD(T3) to ADL.
But a passenger traveling with me will fly ADL-SYD-QF129-PVG.
They have no problem to use the seamless transfer bus but I may.

I think this is the issue for the wording of the website - no one had considered that you may want to get to T1 other than to board a flight.

I can just jump on the train if need be.
Old Jan 19, 18, 4:33 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Lucky_man View Post
My flights are ADL-SYD(T3) and SYD(T3) to ADL.
But a passenger traveling with me will fly ADL-SYD-QF129-PVG.
They have no problem to use the seamless transfer bus but I may.

I think this is the issue for the wording of the website - no one had considered that you may want to get to T1 other than to board a flight.

I can just jump on the train if need be.
I just told them that I would be getting my boarding pass when I checked in at Jetstar as I couldn't do OLCI ahead of time. I've used the shuttle other times when flying in to T3 then catching a ride home with a friend who works at T1.
Old Jan 19, 18, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

I will let you know the result.
At Txf desk when they realized my travel companion who was going onto an international flight couldnt speak English and didnt understand Airports and I could translate I was invited to travel on the bus. It seemed important I had a boarding pass even if it was only domestic.
When it come to board the agent scanning BPs stopped me but the supervisor waived me through.
Then to get back T1 to T3. No probs ofcourse with my BP for next domestic flight. Sitting in domestic J lounge now.
BTW they modified the halls so the turn off to immigration is right next where you get off the escalator from the bus. good move.

Search this Thread