Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas utterly hopeless at crediting JQ flight points

Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum

I fly JQ in New Zealand a bit (not often) and the earn rate for Qantas SCs is actually pretty good - 20 SC for a Starter Max fare AKL-WLG, which from memory is on a par with discount economy from AKL to SYD for example.

Qantas are utterly useless though at crediting these points and I really have to fight for them. Even though the JQ booking engine specifically asks for QF FF numbers and they appear on boarding passes, I ALWAYS have to email the FF email address to ask for the points to be credited. 4 of the last 5 times, the immediate reply was "these flights are not eligible for credits" even though they are Starter Max fares and clearly say so on the boarding pass. On at least a couple of occasions I have had extended dialogue with various QF people at the other end of the email system about credits. Once I lost my physical boarding pass (big mistake) and it took an age - sending them a tax invoice and PDF itinerary - before they credited.

Not good enough QF!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One, NZ*S, Koru, Accor Le Club Plus Platinum, BW Diamond, Marriott GOLD
I have had exactly the same problem numerous times. I have never received points in the other way than missing points claim.

On top of that Jetstar seems to reject our claims. I was on flex like you were and I got posted 0 and 0. I said to them, how that can be right if it is always at least 600 qantas points.

They reply was:

Thank you for contacting the Qantas Frequent Flyer Service Centre.

I've reviewed the number of Status Credits earned for the travel in question and can confirm that theyve been calculated correctly. The number of Status Credits you earn varies depending on the airline, how far you fly and the fare you choose. Please be informed that we award points based on the fare type you originally purchased.

If you'd like to know more, please visit qantas.com/frequentflyer or call the Qantas Frequent Flyer Service Centre on 13 11 31 between 7am and 7pm (AEST) Monday to Saturday, where a member of our team will be happy to assist you. If calling from overseas, visit qantas.com/contactus for your local contact number. Please have your Frequent Flyer number and PIN available.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jacek_C
I have had exactly the same problem numerous times. I have never received points in the other way than missing points claim.

On top of that Jetstar seems to reject our claims. I was on flex like you were and I got posted 0 and 0. I said to them, how that can be right if it is always at least 600 qantas points.

They reply was:

Thank you for contacting the Qantas Frequent Flyer Service Centre.

I've reviewed the number of Status Credits earned for the travel in question and can confirm that theyve been calculated correctly. The number of Status Credits you earn varies depending on the airline, how far you fly and the fare you choose. Please be informed that we award points based on the fare type you originally purchased.

If you'd like to know more, please visit qantas.com/frequentflyer or call the Qantas Frequent Flyer Service Centre on 13 11 31 between 7am and 7pm (AEST) Monday to Saturday, where a member of our team will be happy to assist you. If calling from overseas, visit qantas.com/contactus for your local contact number. Please have your Frequent Flyer number and PIN available.
Yes I should have said actually, what I do is fill in the form on the website for missing points claim, they then lodge on my activity statement as 0 credits and points, and THEN I email. Well, now I just email to start with, but yeah...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by newtestleper
Qantas are utterly useless though at crediting these points and I really have to fight for them. Even though the JQ booking engine specifically asks for QF FF numbers and they appear on boarding passes,

Not good enough QF!
Here's the thing. To a large extent, Jetstar is just a partner QFF, and has its own systems. Jetstar need to tell QFF that you flew. This issue seems to be more with JQ....

(Now, why Qantas Loyalty haven't got around to fixing this long term problem, well that is a QF issue)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by perthite
Here's the thing. To a large extent, Jetstar is just a partner QFF, and has its own systems. Jetstar need to tell QFF that you flew. This issue seems to be more with JQ....

(Now, why Qantas Loyalty haven't got around to fixing this long term problem, well that is a QF issue)
Sort of. One wonders how many people are missing out on points and credits though because of this. I suspect people plug in their QF info thinking the system will sort things out, and they'll get their points. It's only anal people like me who check and follow-up (in a rigorous way).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perthite

I fly CHC MEL reasonably often on JQ and MEL CHC every 3~4 months on JQ and have never had an issue with JQ flights crediting to QF ffp., And I do check.

OP: Is your name on the JQ tickets exactly the same as your QF ffp profile?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I fly CHC MEL reasonably often on JQ and MEL CHC every 3~4 months on JQ and have never had an issue with JQ flights crediting to QF ffp., And I do check.

OP: Is your name on the JQ tickets exactly the same as your QF ffp profile?
Yep.

I wonder if it's because you're flying TT, whereas this is just NZ domestic.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
My own experience is that they post reasonably quickly, although sometimes things take ages

(Now, that they don't seem to be being counted currently for the loyalty bonus is another problem....)
serfty likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: NZ
Can anyone tell me how long it normally takes for an NZ domestic JQ flight to credit to QFF ... assuming that this happens automatically without having to chase them?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; QF VA CI KL KE
Originally Posted by minz56
Can anyone tell me how long it normally takes for an NZ domestic JQ flight to credit to QFF ... assuming that this happens automatically without having to chase them?
Who knows what normally means? Here are a couple of data points one for NZ domestic as a QF coded flight (two days) and one for an AU flight coded as JQ (8 days):

Mon 8 Jan 2018 QF 5377 FLEXIBLE ECONOMY 06JAN18 AKL/NSN 1,200 20

Thu 26 Oct 2017 JQ 484 ECONOMY 18OCT17 NTL/BNE 800 10
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:59 am

10 days after a Jetstar international flight, on a fare that included QFF points, nothing in my Qantas account. Later flights on other airlines ( Lufthansa, Air France have credited to other programs). Pathetic, Qantas and a PITA. Maybe they work on the basis that people will forget and consequently save themselves some money ( although incompetence is the more likely answer).
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:41 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by paolo64
....... Pathetic, Qantas and a PITA. Maybe they work on the basis that people will forget and consequently save themselves some money ( although incompetence is the more likely answer).
Id suggest the blame is with JQ rather than QF.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by og

Id suggest the blame is with JQ rather than QF.
Yes, of course you're correct. But it's just such a pain having to experience the realities of the QF/JQ relationship.
It is: Is there anything about the partnership that provides any benefit or bonus to the member; no, no, no, NEVER; is there anything that requires extra cost or inconvenience; yes, yes, yes, ALWAYS.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Jetstar is a profit centre of Qantas trying to wring as much profit out of an LCC operation as possible.

QFF is a separate profit centre and one of Qantas' largest profit contributors, which no doubt charges a hefty price for QFF points to Jetstar which eats into Jetstar's divisional profits. I'm sure that 'incentivises' Jetstar to avoid crediting your points as much as they can get away with.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Pathetic is the word.

I just automatically lodge a missing points claim for every JQ flight now - you can't ever count on them appearing.

7-10 days after a JQ Flex domestic flight (I generally do BNE-NTL on DeathStar a couple of times a month) and nothing. Not ever. Meanwhile QF PER-BNE on Friday and the points had posted before I got off the aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.