Recent on-time performance - QF7

Old Jan 10, 18, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Recent on-time performance - QF7

Hello all,

On QF7 a month from now returning from a 3 week holiday seeing your country for the first time.
From the time I booked, AA juggled their schedule around, leaving me with a scheduled 1:50 connect time at DFW. Wasn’t thrilled to see it as it’s tighter than I would like, but still doable. That was until I looked at the last week or so of flightaware data and saw that it seems this flight is late more often than not.

So, for those who have done this run - is this just a bad week, or is the motto “we’ll get you there eventually”? While I know AA will get me home - if the recent trend is more than just recent, I’d rather get my connection switched now than end up in a middle seat in the back row of coach ... because all it would take would be a half-hour from QF coupled with modest lines at Immigration and a small TSA circus to unglue things completely.

Things working in my favor are US passport and traveling in F, so I’ll be first off - but we all know what happens when you see something that looks like a bad idea and do nothing to change it.
Old Jan 10, 18, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I assume that this is a through booking?

What is the change fee and what is the availability like in required booking class for a later flight?

Personally I would leave it as it is ; in unlikely event of misconnecting , QF will rebook onto a later flight anyway

If this is 2 separate bookings, then QF's responsibility ends at DFW and you would be reliant on AA to rebook

The MCT is only 1 hr 25 minutes in DFW for QF-AA connection, so wouldn't be concerned at 1 hr 50 mins
Old Jan 11, 18, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I assume that this is a through booking?

What is the change fee and what is the availability like in required booking class for a later flight?

Personally I would leave it as it is ; in unlikely event of misconnecting , QF will rebook onto a later flight anyway

If this is 2 separate bookings, then QF's responsibility ends at DFW and you would be reliant on AA to rebook

The MCT is only 1 hr 25 minutes in DFW for QF-AA connection, so wouldn't be concerned at 1 hr 50 mins
How much of a time change was the AA schedule change? Give AA a call...they may be willing to shift you to a later connection.

However, if you have Global Entry, then 1:50 is perfectly fine. Without it, you are still OK....just not quite as much flexibility in case of substantial delay. You will probably be waiting for your baggage anyways in DFW (slow doesn’t begin to describe DFW international baggage operations).

Finally, I’d check out the AA forum....there is a thread purely on connecting at DFW
Old Jan 11, 18, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW View Post
[left]

How much of a time change was the AA schedule change? Give AA a call...they may be willing to shift you to a later connection.
Maybe if the ticket is issued by AA it will ; if it is issued by Qantas it will not
Old Jan 19, 18, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Well, that was fun ...
The AAgent said that AA would accommodate the change at no charge because it was their schedule change, but she also said that she could not do it, QF would have to initiate (which I believe to be correct because it's on QF ticket stock)
QF (after about a 20 minute hold) punted it back to AA. Is that wretched offshore call centre the norm, or do I have to time my call during "business hours" Aussie time to get someone who knows how to do something other than say NO?

And on the other end of it, I don't have GE, and I presume that means no Pre even though the onward AA flight is in F (because it's a QF ticket). I've been through DFW (domestic anyway) and once inside security I can easily make the gate in 15 minutes, but Customs, plus TSA, in just over an hour on 3 out of the last 14 flights just sounds beyond sketchy.

Last edited by LowlyDLsilver; Jan 19, 18 at 3:01 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: