Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Deteriorating food and drinks Qantas Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deteriorating food and drinks Qantas Business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: QF WP
Had a wonderful Asian noodle salad the other day on the 717 service, one of the best regional J meals I’ve ever had

HOWEVER

the food on the previous flight was a) poor and b) mislabelled- hosties listed roast pork in mustard sauce or a kung pao chicken with rice. What I received I believe was roast chicken, the other option looked more like beef (there was no rice in evidence on either). The hosties were delightful but she fairly clearly had no idea what kung pao chicken was (“I think it’s some kind of curry”), was quite insistent that the roast chicken was in fact kung pao, in spite of the missing rice. Now i’d think pork is not the sort of meal you want to be in doubt about- both for religious reasons and because I know a fair few who don’t eat pork for more nebulous reasons

on the flight with the salad (same crew) the grilled beef with cafe de Paris sauce and roasted vegetables- she thought the cafe de Paris WAS the roasted vegetables

I know i’m old school and Mr Pants tells me the J hostie was new staff. But if Cobham/Altara don’t want to train their staff to know this stuff (understandable perhaps), there surely needs to be a cast iron document explaining what the meals actually are? Or am I the dinosaur?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
If you take two choices how then will they take the J Class left overs to the back for economy crew, covered with the signature check hand towel? Crew need to eat too you know! You can't expect them to eat the Y class catering, so dont you dare ask for two choices in J....just because you've paid for it.
I thought in most cases crew had separate catering? I had heard that some crews had a choice of what was left. And in the case above we were discussing having a choice between dessert and cheese, not a main meal so the crew shouldn't go hungry!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by nancypants
Had a wonderful Asian noodle salad the other day on the 717 service, one of the best regional J meals I’ve ever had

HOWEVER

the food on the previous flight was a) poor and b) mislabelled- hosties listed roast pork in mustard sauce or a kung pao chicken with rice. What I received I believe was roast chicken, the other option looked more like beef (there was no rice in evidence on either). The hosties were delightful but she fairly clearly had no idea what kung pao chicken was (“I think it’s some kind of curry”), was quite insistent that the roast chicken was in fact kung pao, in spite of the missing rice. Now i’d think pork is not the sort of meal you want to be in doubt about- both for religious reasons and because I know a fair few who don’t eat pork for more nebulous reasons

on the flight with the salad (same crew) the grilled beef with cafe de Paris sauce and roasted vegetables- she thought the cafe de Paris WAS the roasted vegetables

I know i’m old school and Mr Pants tells me the J hostie was new staff. But if Cobham/Altara don’t want to train their staff to know this stuff (understandable perhaps), there surely needs to be a cast iron document explaining what the meals actually are? Or am I the dinosaur?
No, your not. There needs to be a document clearly outlining what is in each meal and what it's supposed to be for more important reasons than superstitious beliefs, allergies. I have a friend who in mid adult life contracted a fungus infection while having a pneumonia type illness and now if he has refined sugar or wheat his face and breaks out into rashes. The doctor has told him that this can't be cured and he'll have to manage it for the rest of his life. He's changed his job so he doesn't fly anymore and only stays at hotels where he knows he can trust what's on the ingredients list is actually right. I have another with a esophageal complaint and can't have dairy. She ends up ordering vegan when flying to avoid any risks.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by dddc
I thought in most cases crew had separate catering? I had heard that some crews had a choice of what was left. And in the case above we were discussing having a choice between dessert and cheese, not a main meal so the crew shouldn't go hungry!
i know the pilots have one of each business class meal specifically allocated (as in 2 meals total for 2 crew and those 2 meals are separate). Not sure about the CC but will ask

Mustard is also a known allergen and is present in “pork with mustard sauce” as well as cafe de paris. Kung pao of course traditionally contains peanuts. As I say all very surprising to me
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:52 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Several times in front of Y (domestic) and crew bring the meal trolley. I have been (un)lucky to be the first to be offered food. It is clear that neither of the crew know what is being offered apart from a 2 or 3 word description and that each variety has a different coloured foil on top. As said above, why can’t the crew be briefed on the meal - more than just the 2 or 3 word description. It’s not a good look when they don’t know the answer to: “what is this and what’s in it”? After all, we’ve been schooled to think that Perry inspired the meal and it should be something interesting. Currently it’s a lucky dip.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:03 pm

Just call every dish Pot Luck and the problem is solved
dddc and percysmith like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Just call every dish Pot Luck and the problem is solved
But that is not how Qantas advertise the meals in relation to the product.

They could hardly blurb:

"A superior way to fly. For work or play, explore Business with more space to relax, a dedicated cabin, pot-luck dining, lounge access and maximum comfort to travel in ultimate style."

Business | Qantas AU

nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty

They could hardly blurb:

"A superior way to fly. For work or play, explore Business with more space to relax, a dedicated cabin, pot-luck dining, lounge access and maximum comfort to travel in ultimate style."

Business Qantas AU

I like the idea of pot luck dining, or, even better, everyone brings a dish and you have a sort of picnic on board.
serfty, nancypants and Aidan like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:29 pm

They could hardly blurb:

Business Qantas AU

OK you can have a la carte dining then:

Your choice from our Neil Perry inspired menu:

Braised Pot Luck

Slow Roasted Pot Luck

Sous Vide Pot Luck
serfty and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG

They could hardly blurb:

They could however blurb " New enhanced dining experience, where you will receive seasonal Neil Perry inspired dishes, adapted daily by flight route, delivered straight to your seat by our award winning crew without the inconvenience of placing an order".
serfty and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:37 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
OK my QF1016 service manager just served my wife a pork dish while saying it's chicken.

I asked him to check again and he swears it says chicken on the label. My wife was fine with either (we weren't muslims or have any strong preference one way or another) and the service manager offered to swap (which we declined) but we were wincing at her very pork-tasting and sliced "poultry" main.

The service manager came back to say the captain also had the "chicken" and it was really chicken. So, it could've been my wife who pot lucked out.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
OK my QF1016 service manager just served my wife a pork dish while saying it's chicken.

I asked him to check again and he swears it says chicken on the label. My wife was fine with either (we weren't muslims or have any strong preference one way or another) and the service manager offered to swap (which we declined) but we were wincing at her very pork-tasting and sliced "poultry" main.

The service manager came back to say the captain also had the "chicken" and it was really chicken. So, it could've been my wife who pot lucked out.
was it in mustard sauce? If so it was supposed to be on the Townsville flight a couple of weeks ago 😉
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Haha no. Soy sauce with bok choy and rice.

Should add Service Manager let us take home a bottle of sparkling wine with us as sort of compensation.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Haha no. Soy sauce with bok choy and rice.

Should add Service Manager let us take home a bottle of sparkling wine with us as sort of compensation.
how was the breakfast?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:44 pm

Experienced Qantas business class food for the first time, MEL and SFO, service was excellent, but the fish they served really smelled awful, and filled the J cabin with a terrible overbearing smell!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.