Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Deteriorating food and drinks Qantas Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deteriorating food and drinks Qantas Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Slow service

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I’d also echo the observation that the service is VERY slow out of the traps on long haul. Why is this? Especially as Qantas keeps thrusting ‘sleep sooner’ down our throats!
I think the slow service is mostly due to the lack of staff. Due to the relativly high staff cost in Australia, Qantas has over the years cut the staff numbers to the bare mimimum to deliver the food service and this shows in the extremly slow service, especially in comparision with airlines such as Qatar that employ significantly more staff per flight than Qantas.
Beside the slow food service, I also find it very disappointing that Qantas does not offer the choice of a full dinner on the overnight flights from Asia to Australia. Not everyone wants to maximise sleep time as some passengers are in a different time zone and you should have the option of a three-course dinner if you want.
og, eminere and Aidan like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Economy_Gold
I think the slow service is mostly due to the lack of staff. Due to the relativly high staff cost in Australia, Qantas has over the years cut the staff numbers to the bare mimimum to deliver the food service and this shows in the extremly slow service, especially in comparision with airlines such as Qatar that employ significantly more staff per flight than Qantas...
Qantas is not alone, BA is the natural comparison as a legacy airline in the same boat. And I’m sure NZ too. But certainly BA crews are much snappier in getting that first drink and starter out than QF.

I’m not comparing to CX and SQ as their service tempo is on another level, as already said!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:15 am

How do people think the food compares to Virgin Australia business class ?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pbl22
That’s not correct. The packets contain approximately 4 or 5 almonds and around 20+ pretzels.
I guess we could argue about whether almonds are nuts or not!
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Aidan
How do people think the food compares to Virgin Australia business class ?
I am Platinum with both Qantas Frequent Flyer and Velocity.

In business class, generally Virgin Australia's catering is somewhat better in my experience; both Domestic Australia and International.
shuuy and NZbutterfly like this.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 23, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by perthite
I guess we could argue about whether almonds are nuts or not!
You are correct! Almonds are not true nuts.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by pbl22
You are correct! Almonds are not true nuts.
Does this mean that people with a nut allergy won't react to them? Is it peanut allergies that most nut sufferers get or are they susceptible to any nut?

Reading the article and seeing the notes, they look like to me notes from a travel agent and not airline notes. Maybe she should take it up with the TA where she got her info from and how she verified it.

I had the nuts and pretzel bag on QF J earlier this month. I liked it (although always falls short of AA serving you warmed nuts) and wished there were a few more almonds in the bag. And a few more pretzels. Basically just a bigger bag please
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by dddc
I had the nuts and pretzel bag on QF J earlier this month. I liked it (although always falls short of AA serving you warmed nuts) and wished there were a few more almonds in the bag. And a few more pretzels. Basically just a bigger bag please
I usually ask for 2 bags.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:50 pm

Does this mean that people with a nut allergy won't react to them? Is it peanut allergies that most nut sufferers get or are they susceptible to any nut?

Reading the article and seeing the notes, they look like to me notes from a travel agent and not airline notes. Maybe she should take it up with the TA where she got her info from and how she verified it.

Some are only allergic to ‘peanuts’ which is a legume. Some a variety of nuts. Allot of people with allergies to nuts try to avoid all to be safe.
Overtime some people gain a low level of tolerance to certain nuts, or get tested to see what specific nuts they have the largest reaction to.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by og

I usually ask for 2 bags.
You can ask for more??!!

Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Aidan

Some are only allergic to ‘peanuts’ which is a legume. Some a variety of nuts. Allot of people with allergies to nuts try to avoid all to be safe.
Overtime some people gain a low level of tolerance to certain nuts, or get tested to see what specific nuts they have the largest reaction to.
Thanks!
I've seen the trials being done where children are given microscopic bits of peanuts, increasing over time and gradually they gain some tolerance to them. If that was me, I'd definitely try it out to avoid the risk of accidental exposure.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
You can ask for more??!!

Yes, and its sometimes not a welcome question when asking for (eg) cheese AND a fruit plate for dessert!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Economy_Gold
Beside the slow food service, I also find it very disappointing that Qantas does not offer the choice of a full dinner on the overnight flights from Asia to Australia.
Is acceptable, IMHO, on flights leaving Asia around midnight (eg QF38) but not those leaving around 7-8pm (eg QF36). On the staffing, also heard - but not sure if true - that on sectors from Asia to Australia, some staff go on break immediately after take off - which slows things down - compared to many other carriers who literally have all hands on deck for the first service.

Aidan likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by og

Yes, and its sometimes not a welcome question when asking for (eg) cheese AND a fruit plate for dessert!
And I thought it was just BA that didn't welcome that!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Talking

And I thought it was just BA that didn't welcome that!
If you take two choices how then will they take the J Class left overs to the back for economy crew, covered with the signature check hand towel? Crew need to eat too you know! You can't expect them to eat the Y class catering, so dont you dare ask for two choices in J....just because you've paid for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.