Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Deteriorating food and drinks Qantas Business

Deteriorating food and drinks Qantas Business

Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
We’re not happy ‘till you’re not happy ..
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Jacek_C

That would be the reply. Guaranteed!
Jacek, a slightly different template - complaint that MEL-SYD at 11.00 listed lunch but onboard was just yogurt or soup (neither are my kind of food). No worries it was a change from the 12.00 which enabled (a) a 332 and (b) extra hour in in the SYD F vs MEL J lounges

Dear KF
Thank you very much for forwarding us your feedback regarding your disappointment with the meal on your recent flight from Melbourne to Sydney.
We try to provide a variety of meals, and we endeavour to ensure the same high standards of quality of the food provided. We understand that flying with Qantas is an experience, and that the meals on board are a big part of that, so I would personally like to apologise that you were disappointed with the food we provided.
Feedback from our passengers is a very useful and very direct way of letting us know of areas we are falling down in, and how we could improve. Your email has already been forwarded to our catering management team for their review to this end.
Thank you again for bringing us your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.
etc etc
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One, NZ*S, Koru, Accor Le Club Plus Platinum, BW Diamond, Marriott GOLD
KF, they just don’t get that people want to have what they paid for. If they failed to deliver, they should solve the problem on the spot. Offer on arrival lounge access, or some extra points, or bottle of wine. People don’t want to hear these empty words. It’s just an insult to their intelligence.

Last edited by Jacek_C; Jan 17, 2018 at 8:22 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Jacek, a slightly different template - complaint that MEL-SYD at 11.00 listed lunch but onboard was just yogurt or soup (neither are my kind of food). No worries it was a change from the 12.00 which enabled (a) a 332 and (b) extra hour in in the SYD F vs MEL J lounges
As far as I am concerned, QF has absolutely no excuse not offering an option to have a proper meal on every flight in J on SYD-MEL considering the very high lowest fare they charge.

While I usually like QF's domestic J catering during meal times*, some of the catering option during non-meal times are simply inadequate.

* I do not care for their excessively sweet cakes but otherwise I think they are pretty good
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Oh, and I almost forgot the afternoon tea (syd-Mel) CHML that consisted of, I kid you not of a small cob of corn!

(of pure fluke my 8 year old loves corn!)
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: TG, QF, SQ, EK.
Thumbs down Yes, deteriorating standards indeed

Just got off QF130 from Shanghai and connecting flight from SYD to MEL (well 1 hour delay). everything about Qantas has deteriorated. The 10 hour flight from Shanghai was on old configured A330, the food both in the overcrowded China Eastern lounge QF uses in Shanghai and onboard was inedible. The champagne advertised as Charles-Heidseck, Tattinger, or Jacqart was of course the cheaper latter (this is a consistent trend), the flight attendants are obsequious in the extreme trying to make up for the appalling offerings but worse spent most of the flight talking loudly amongst themselves in the galley thus undermining any chance of much sleep on what must be the most uncomfortable business class seats in the world. So much for the Chinese market. Then the crap on offer during late morning/lunch in the business class lounge at QF domestic in Sydney - only processed meats. Even Qantas club offers tuna! Then the usual delayed connecting flight to Melbourne where no pre-flight drinks were offered and the lunch service consisted of a soup, a toasted sausage sandwich, or a tasteless chicken salad!!! And this is before I get into the nickel and dime-ing attitude of QF charging for legroom! All this cost cutting and lowering of standards is undoubtedly to feed the profit based bonus of Alan Joyce who is the highest paid airline executive in the world.If I could possibly avoid flying this Sydney centric airline in future, I will.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
Mediocre Food from SYD to SFO

I just flew on QF73 in Business and found the food lacking. From the small things such as little cold packets of mostly pretzels with a few almonds mixed in instead of the warmed nuts in a little dish which I'd expect to the main dish which was a heavily spiced chicken. They were out of my first choice of baramundi and I'd asked the flight attendant about the the spicing and was told they never put much spice on their dishes. So much for that reassurance. The side salad must have had maybe three pieces of lettuce in it. The dessert was a summer berry pudding which seemed to have no more than 5 percent berries in it. The breakfast later wasn't much better. The fresh fruit with yoghurt on it had strawberries with the stems still attached. Since they were covered in the yoghurt it was a challenge to remove them. The hot dish was an egg/cheese/chorizo on some Turkish-style bread. I could have done without the spice in the chorizo and the overall greasiness of the sandwich. Overall I'd rate the food on this flight as the worst I've ever had on a long-haul international business flight.
og and Cedar Jet like this.

Last edited by daveinsf; Mar 21, 2019 at 9:52 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by daveinsf
... little cold packets of mostly pretzels with a few almonds mixed in ...
Why do QF persist with these incredibly cheap "nut packets" which, as correctly pointed out, are mainly pretzels? They are embarrassingly bad compared to what other airlines offer for nuts.
daveinsf and Cedar Jet like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:29 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by daveinsf
I just flew on QF73 in Business and found the food lacking. From the small things such as little cold packets of mostly pretzels with a few almonds mixed in instead of the warmed nuts in a little dish which I'd expect to the main dish which was a heavily spiced chicken. They were out of my first choice of baramundi and I'd asked the flight attendant about the the spicing and was told they never put much spice on their dishes. So much for that reassurance. The side salad must have had maybe three pieces of lettuce in it. The dessert was a summer berry pudding which seemed to have no more than 5 percent berries in it. The breakfast later wasn't much better. The fresh fruit with yoghurt on it had strawberries with the stems still attached. Since they were covered in the yoghurt it was a challenge to remove them. The hot dish was an egg/cheese/chorizo on some Turkish-style bread. I could have done without the spice in the chorizo and the overall greasiness of the sandwich. Overall I'd rate the food on this flight as the worst I've ever had on a long-haul international business flight.
My long time gripe is salads where you often see more of the bottom of the bowl than green stuff. Likewise is being sternly told when telling the crew that the meal size was too small “you can’t have 2 desserts until we see if there’s any leftovers”, and the nut-free pretzel bag - pathetic. UA trans Pac does a much better job with plenty to eat.
daveinsf likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Fly Qatar and get what you pay for..in fact, you actually get much more than you pay for compared with Qantas. I personally know senior cabin crew with Qantas international who refuse to work in 'Business' and 'First' when they are able because of the embarrassing offering and constant customer complaints. Qantas international catering is woful. Time for Rockpool Rubbish to retire and start giving passengers what they are paying for; a premium product.
og and daveinsf like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I do really like Qantas’ catering as I find it the least airline type food around. But I feel the food quantity vs. flight length ratio is well off, I flew HKG - SYD which is at least 9.5 hours on board and the food quantity was probably half what you’d get on any other J sector of that length.

What I don’t understand is the lack of choice, Qantas has decided that everyone wants to skip food and sleep so therefore omits the starter, decent breakfast etc. However not everyone will be in the same time zone and there is plenty of time on most sectors to do a fuller service for those that prefer it and even expect it given the premium you pay to travel on the airline.

I’d also echo the observation that the service is VERY slow out of the traps on long haul. Why is this? Especially as Qantas keeps thrusting ‘sleep sooner’ down our throats!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:17 am

Sad to hear hopefully my J mel-lax in July has food improvements.

Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pbl22
Why do QF persist with these incredibly cheap "nut packets" which, as correctly pointed out, are mainly pretzels? They are embarrassingly bad compared to what other airlines offer for nuts.
Qantas have removed nuts, due to people with allergies.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by perthite
Are you sure as they were in the news as someone went nuts !
Passenger with deadly nut allergy forced to sit in plane toilet because cabin crew insisted on serving almonds
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by perthite
That’s not correct. The packets contain approximately 4 or 5 almonds and around 20+ pretzels.
mattm199 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.