Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF is far superior than BA on some domestics routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF is far superior than BA on some domestics routes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Droops are bad enough for me to consider slopes as I slide down them. One should not need to stick a piece of hand luggage underneath to prop up the seat...

The only QF J seat that does not slope as far as I am concerned are the refurbished A330s (and I admit to liking those seats very much).

That's besides the serious issue of the lack of direct aisle access from window seats on QF long haul J except for refurbed A330s.
There is more legroom, longer and wider seat, superior IFE, catering, alcohol etc. etc and I am including the J product on the A380. Anyone other than a midget can't fit in the BA long haul J product - being 6.4 and all.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Often1
The UK and Australia are different markets. Consumers in the UK want cheaper fares. The meals and lounges in Australia are not "free" they are simply included in the cost of the ticket. If those who pay for the tickets sought cheaper fares, those luxuries would be gone quite quickly.

The US did this some time ago, BA has followed recently, other EU full-service carriers have cut back in other ways and the LCC's market themselves --- quite successfully -- as no frills.
The Australian market does want cheaper fares too, or at least some of it does. But the advantage Qantas has is that it controls the cheap fare end of the market too, at least in its home market. At the point in time when the Easyjet's and Ryanair's were really starting to expand, Qantas's only legacy competitor collapsed and Australia's emerging "Easyjet" (Virgin Blue) suddenly didn't have to compete so much on price. Add to this the smaller population and the absence of charter operators and serious competition from ground transport, that gave QF the chance to control the market and successfully segment the market by setting up Jetstar, in a way few legacy airlines have been able to (Lufthansa/Eurowings, Airlines/Scoot, Iberia/Vueling maybe the ones that have, with seemingly SQ and QF the most successful at preventing the deterioration in service levels of the parent). And of course Virgin Blue eventually morphed into a carrier much more like a full service or legacy carrier, and creating a nice duopoly by taking control of Australia's minor LCC, tiger.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by 747-444
There is more legroom, longer and wider seat, superior IFE, catering, alcohol etc. etc and I am including the J product on the A380. Anyone other than a midget can't fit in the BA long haul J product - being 6.4 and all.
6'4" would be quite OK for a lot of people and calling everyone who can fit in a 'midget' would be a rather strange view to take.

I guess I can't stand slopes or droops if I am intending to sleep, and even worse is being trapped in a window seat from which I cannot get out without walking up the seat neighbour.

Not that I am hugely keen on BA but between QF window seat on anything other than the refurbed A330 and BA CW window seat, I'd choose CW 100% of the time. QF seats have no privacy (except the refurbed A330) and unacceptable for working either. Unacceptable seat for me for sleeping or working means QF is not one of my preferred carriers for long haul J except for the refurbished A330.

Refurbed QF A330 (window seat) wins over BA CW any time though.

I don't normally watch the IFE. I guess it's all about personal preferences.
TonyHancock likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
6'4" would be quite OK for a lot of people and calling everyone who can fit in a 'midget' would be a rather strange view to take.

I guess I can't stand slopes or droops if I am intending to sleep, and even worse is being trapped in a window seat from which I cannot get out without walking up the seat neighbour.

Not that I am hugely keen on BA but between QF window seat on anything other than the refurbed A330 and BA CW window seat, I'd choose CW 100% of the time. QF seats have no privacy (except the refurbed A330) and unacceptable for working either. Unacceptable seat for me for sleeping or working means QF is not one of my preferred carriers for long haul J except for the refurbished A330.

Refurbed QF A330 (window seat) wins over BA CW any time though.

I don't normally watch the IFE. I guess it's all about personal preferences.
Have you flown BA long haul in J?
The seat is one of the smallest in the market, maybe even the worst in terms of pitch. I agree stepping over somebody and maybe waking them isn't ideal hence on BA one is in a real pickle with ALL of the window seats and ALL of the centre seats requiring customers to step over others. On the QF A380 the centre seats all of aisle access and the new J is top draw - what is BA proposing other than 'evolution not revolution'.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
At 182cm and 59yo I have no problem leaving a window seat on skybed MkII and getting past the aisle PAX.

Note that all aisle access is available in Business on QF's 789 services (currently MEL/LAX), soon to be MEL-xPER-LHR vv.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:59 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
At 182cm and 59yo I have no problem leaving a window seat on skybed MkII and getting past the aisle PAX.
Same here - but with slight differences in height and age. Its easy to climb over the seat mate thanks to the grab handle on back of the seat infront. Now, if only they could fix the seat droop instead of having to improvise with shoes or a bag.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by 747-444
Have you flown BA long haul in J?
The seat is one of the smallest in the market, maybe even the worst in terms of pitch. I agree stepping over somebody and maybe waking them isn't ideal hence on BA one is in a real pickle with ALL of the window seats and ALL of the centre seats requiring customers to step over others.
Yes, many times, to the first question. Also many times on QF although I try to avoid their slopes when I can (not always possible).

I can get out of BA window seat without waking anyone up or risking tripping up on their feet.

I can't on QF (obviously can on the refurbished A330) once the seat is in the bed mode. I've tried many times and gave up.

Bearing in mind not everyone is over 180 cm tall (the percentage of females who are over 180 cm tall would not be very high).

IMO it is simply a matter of good fit to each traveller or not. QF isn't a good fit for me except for their refurbished A330.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.