FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Contradictory info in manage my booking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1884486-contradictory-info-manage-my-booking.html)

neofung Dec 25, 2017 9:51 am

Contradictory info in manage my booking

Attached shows the screen shoot of MMB of my one way ticket from SYD to MEL in economy class, and i a BA redemption ticket.
The luggage allowance is 30kg, yet the small prints below stated only up to 23kg per bag and I am only allowed to checkin one bag.
So how can I enjoy the 30kg free baggage allowance without paying the heavy surcharge?
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...77fae3810c.png

Dave Noble Dec 25, 2017 12:44 pm

There is no piece limitation where weight allowance applies

That screen shot just states that the max weight per bag is 32Kg

if you were on a route where piece allowance applied and were in economy class , you would be allowed 1 piece max 23kg without charge; if bag weighed between 23-32Kg , then an excess would apply

There is no problem taking 1 x 30Kg bag - or 2 x 15Kg or 3 x 10kg bags etc since you are on a weight based itinerary

neofung Dec 25, 2017 8:07 pm

So how do I know if I’m travelling on a piece or weight system?

Dave Noble Dec 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by neofung (Post 29214826)
So how do I know if I’m travelling on a piece or weight system?

It tells you at the top of the image

Included baggage 30Kg

If it was piece based, instead of showing the suitcase with 30Kg written inside, it would show the suitcase with x 1 next to it and say 1 piece underneath ( or higher numbers if applicable )

Also, if you look at https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...d-baggage.html and check your itinerary against this page, you will see the allowances

What is your ticketed itinerary ( including stopovers ) ; I assume that it is not a standalone Sydney-Melbourne ticket since that should be 1 piece max 23kg in economy

neofung Dec 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 29214871)
It tells you at the top of the image

Included baggage 30Kg

If it was piece based, instead of showing the suitcase with 30Kg written inside, it would show the suitcase with x 1 next to it and say 1 piece underneath ( or higher numbers if applicable )

Also, if you look at https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...d-baggage.html and check your itinerary against this page, you will see the allowances

What is your ticketed itinerary ( including stopovers ) ; I assume that it is not a standalone Sydney-Melbourne ticket since that should be 1 piece max 23kg in economy

It is a stand alone SYD-MEL itinerary... the manage my booking page is totally not the same as the link you quoted...

Dave Noble Dec 25, 2017 10:36 pm

if it is a standalone SYD-MEL booking , I would have expected the allowance to be 1 piece of maximum 23kg

If you have an allowance of 30kg, that is surprising ; I would only have expected that if it was part of an international journey ( e.g. LHR-SYD-MEL )

The manage booking page would not look the same as the link - that is a link to the general baggage allowances

regardless - where there is a weight allowance rather than a piece allowance, the only limit per bag is 32Kg and your screenshot clearly shows a weight allowance

og Dec 25, 2017 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 29215106)
if it is a standalone SYD-MEL booking , I would have expected the allowance to be 1 piece of maximum 23kg

If you have an allowance of 30kg, that is surprising ; I would only have expected that if it was part of an international journey ( e.g. LHR-SYD-MEL )

The manage booking page would not look the same as the link - that is a link to the general baggage allowances

regardless - where there is a weight allowance rather than a piece allowance, the only limit per bag is 32Kg and your screenshot clearly shows a weight allowance

since its a BA issued ticket, would that have anything to do with it?

Dave Noble Dec 26, 2017 1:15 am

Originally Posted by og (Post 29215175)

since its a BA issued ticket, would that have anything to do with it?

No it shouldn't - unless this was part of a longer international journey ( e.g. LHR-SYD-MEL ) where an international allowance would apply

og Dec 26, 2017 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 29215307)
No it shouldn't - unless this was part of a longer international journey ( e.g. LHR-SYD-MEL ) where an international allowance would apply

yes, it shouldn’t, but I’ve had a BA issued xONEx with QF domestic Oz bag allowances that were inconsistent with QF published allowances for separate (not < 24 hr transfer) connections. Can’t remember the last exact numbers as I no longer have the e-ticket receipt from BA.

Dave Noble Dec 26, 2017 1:46 am

if the passenger's allowance is stated as 30kg , then 30kg is what should be given - even though it is odd

all 30kg can go in 1 bag with no excess to pay

neofung Dec 26, 2017 2:45 am

I tried to call Qantas earlier today, the agent said it's strange to show 30kg in manage my booking.
It should be 1x23kg with the ticket plus 1x23kg for oneworld sapphire.

Thanks Dave for your information!

Dave Noble Dec 26, 2017 4:07 am

Originally Posted by neofung (Post 29215445)
I tried to call Qantas earlier today, the agent said it's strange to show 30kg in manage my booking.
It should be 1x23kg with the ticket plus 1x23kg for oneworld sapphire.

Thanks Dave for your information!

If you have OW Sapphire status, it makes little difference since you would either have 2 x 23kg with piece allowance or 45kg with weight allowance

As long as you stick to 2 bags , you will be fine regardless

lairdb Apr 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 29215307)

It shouldn't, but I have another data point that it may; see here.