Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Qantas F Lounge on INTL=>Domestic connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:35 am
Original Poster

I looked all over and could not find a definitive answer. I’m hoping the gurus on this board can help me.

I’m flying LAX-MEL-BNE on Qantas. The LAX-MEL leg is in first class and MEL-BNE in business. I would like to know if I’ll be able to access the Qantas First Lounge during the long layover in Melbourne.

I am aware of several complications:
- The lounge rules are unclear. Some indicate access is based on the international segment (first) of a connecting itinerary. While others state it’s based on your next flight (business).
- The MEL-BNE domestic flight is in a different terminal than the Qantas First Lounge

If answer is no, can you recommend what other lounge / places to go for a 5hr layover?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:23 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You won’t be able to access the F lounge as it’s physically in international airside.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by schpan
I looked all over and could not find a definitive answer. I’m hoping the gurus on this board can help me.

I’m flying LAX-MEL-BNE on Qantas. The LAX-MEL leg is in first class and MEL-BNE in business. I would like to know if I’ll be able to access the Qantas First Lounge during the long layover in Melbourne.

- The lounge rules are unclear. Some indicate access is based on the international segment (first) of a connecting itinerary. While others state it’s based on your next flight (business).
- The MEL-BNE domestic flight is in a different terminal than the Qantas First Lounge

If answer is no, can you recommend what other lounge / places to go for a 5hr layover?
As sxc has said, no access to the F lounge.

On landing in MEL you will be required to complete immigration, collect your bags, and clear customs before heading to the domestic terminal for your onward flight. The F lounge is airside international, and you won't be able to access that without an onward international boarding pass.

MEL has a dedicated business class lounge you can wait in. This is a level above the standard Qantas Club offering and only allows entry to business class and platinum members. The lounge has showers, hot food and barista coffee. I think the bar opens at 12.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

schpan Welcome to (posting on) FT & Melbourne ^

As post above. your business class BNE MEL flight entitles you access to the lounge in the domestic terminal.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 22, 2017 at 8:53 pm Reason: had SYD link in error
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: QF

Your bags will be tagged LAX/xMEL/BNE but you will need to clear customs with your checked luggage in MEL before dropping off your bag then walking next door to the QF domestic terminal where you will have lounge access based on your class of service being J for the onward MEL/BNE flight.

The only time I've been able to have arrival access to the QF F Lounge in MEL was between two Jetstar Intl flights BKK/MEL and MEL/BNE with the latter flight continuing on to HNL and therefore departing MEL intl terminal. As we were classed as an international transit passenger we remained airside and cleared customs on arrival at the BNE Intl terminal.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your clear input. Appreciate it.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:39 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Note that the MEL domestic lounges are currently being rebuilt making them VERY overcrowded as half the floor space is lost to the construction underway; so don';t expect the usual great QFlounge standard for the next few months. Bit bizarre to not take the LAX-BNE non-stop flight, this adds 7 hours travel time which undoes the value of the F experience (esp. as ex-LAX catering for F is still sub-standard, the worst of any QF F flight sector). Stopping for a day in MEL would make it a much more viable trip but presumably your F award prohibits that stopover. .
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
Note that the MEL domestic lounges are currently being rebuilt making them VERY overcrowded as half the floor space is lost to the construction underway; so don';t expect the usual great QFlounge standard for the next few months. Bit bizarre to not take the LAX-BNE non-stop flight, this adds 7 hours travel time which undoes the value of the F experience (esp. as ex-LAX catering for F is still sub-standard, the worst of any QF F flight sector). Stopping for a day in MEL would make it a much more viable trip but presumably your F award prohibits that stopover. .
F guarantees flat bed. Biz class does not - the beds can droop. I'd take F plus connection rather than the non-stop LAX-BNE.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:45 am

Hi experts -- my situation is a little different from the OP's, but this was the closest thread I could find...

I'm arriving at Mel on my way to AKL, doing LAX-MEL-AKL. We're in first on the long leg from LAX-MEL (yay!), but then in business from MEL-AKL. Since the MEL-AKL is still international, will we be able to use the F lounge in MEL? Thanks for any insight!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
And, what about the opposite direction? AKL-MEL-(PER)-LHR?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:45 am

Nope, would be nice, but no luck. We’re just vacationing from the US. NZ first, then onto Australia. Will fly home from MEL back to the states, but it’s looking like that will have to be coach.

Anyway, any insight as to whether arrival in first and departure to AKL in business will allow use of first class lounge in MEL?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Nope, would be nice, but no luck. We’re just vacationing from the US. NZ first, then onto Australia. Will fly home from MEL back to the states, but it’s looking like that will have to be coach.

Anyway, any insight as to whether arrival in first and departure to AKL in business will allow use of first class lounge in MEL?
No, I meant have a similar question about accessing the lounge going in the opposite direction as you. The MEL-LHR flight is international, but it does a stop in PER before the long haul.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:49 pm

Got it, sorry. Looks like we’re both waiting on help from the experts!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbw5t
Hi experts -- my situation is a little different from the OP's, but this was the closest thread I could find...

I'm arriving at Mel on my way to AKL, doing LAX-MEL-AKL. We're in first on the long leg from LAX-MEL (yay!), but then in business from MEL-AKL. Since the MEL-AKL is still international, will we be able to use the F lounge in MEL? Thanks for any insight!
Yes, you have F lounge access. Oneworld connecting rules specifically provide for this situation, that is, arriving long haul and connecting to short haul, the class of travel on the long haul determines your lounge eligibility.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skunker
And, what about the opposite direction? AKL-MEL-(PER)-LHR?
If you are in business class you'll have access to business class lounges at all stages. If you are flying economy AKL-MEL, connecting in MEL to biz class, you should also have lounge access in AKL by virtue of the long haul connecting flight (assuming you are on the QF 9 MEL-LHR).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.