Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Bookings and TSA PreCheck capability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

I have an upcoming QF LAX-SYD in F.

I also hold Gobal Entry / TSA PreCheck (thanks for my UK passport!).

QF doesn't appear to have the facility to record a known traveller record, so presumably won't be able to issue a BP with a TSA PreCheck notation?

Can anyone advise any hints for a speedy security transit during the busy evening rush in Tom Bradley? (e.g. entry via T4 with a courtesy call in the Flagship Lounge?)

There also appear to be mixed reports on the QF F lounge at that time of the day (crowding etc)....cheers, folks...
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Qantas does not participate in PreCheck, so any associated benefits do not apply for the trip in question.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Platy
I have an upcoming QF LAX-SYD in F.

I also hold Gobal Entry / TSA PreCheck (thanks for my UK passport!).

QF doesn't appear to have the facility to record a known traveller record, so presumably won't be able to issue a BP with a TSA PreCheck notation?
QF does not participate in TSA Precheck, thus precheck can't be used on a QF flight. I don't think there is a dedicated precheck lane at TBIT anyway.

Can anyone advise any hints for a speedy security transit during the busy evening rush in Tom Bradley? (e.g. entry via T4 with a courtesy call in the Flagship Lounge?)
Check in with QF at TBIT, then go downstairs to arrivals and look for the connections signs.

There also appear to be mixed reports on the QF F lounge at that time of the day (crowding etc)....cheers, folks...
The QF F lounge gets busy in the evenings. QF has 4 flights departing LAX within the same 2.5 hours. There are also 3 other oneworld flights departing TBIT during the same period.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:05 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Himeno
Check in with QF at TBIT, then go downstairs to arrivals and look for the connections signs.
Thanks! I didn't know this one. ^
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Himeno

Many thanks for the heads up...!
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:47 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Thanks! I didn't know this one. ^
That's because it does not always work! It depends on the security level in force that day, if elevated then you can only clear security in the same terminal as your departing flight (so TBIT and not T4); just like in the old days after 911. Changes in security level are unpredictable and can be sudden (e.g. the El Al shooting at TBIT years ago). Personally it has never taken me more than 10 min to clear security at TBIT when lines are long, and often less, so longer to walk over to T4 even if those lines are short (as they are in the evening ... but huge lines close to midnight so know your times if doing this).
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by number_6
That's because it does not always work! It depends on the security level in force that day, if elevated then you can only clear security in the same terminal as your departing flight (so TBIT and not T4); just like in the old days after 911.
Do you have a reference for that? It seems silly to only allow entry via a specific terminal when TBIT->T8 are all connected land-side (and connected to several of the others via an airside bus).

LAX did used to enforce entry via the correct terminal only (back when only T6->T8 were linked), but they removed that rule many years ago.

Personally I don't remember the last time I actually entered LAX via the terminal I was flying out of - when headed for T7/T8 I always enter via TBIT (to access the *A lounge) or via T6 (shorter queue than T7)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by number_6
That's because it does not always work! It depends on the security level in force that day, if elevated then you can only clear security in the same terminal as your departing flight (so TBIT and not T4); just like in the old days after 911. ...).
Hmmm... that has not been my experience since May 1st 2014 when the "same terminal guidance" was done away with.

FWIW, this change was nationwide - for example you can access any JFK terminal with a same day BP for a flight departing JFK (useful for accessing the AA facilities in T8 before heading to T7 for the QF flight).

Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Wow, this is compelling especially with Priority Pass enabling access to lounges in different terminals (eg TBIT lounges when flying out of crappy T2)
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:11 am

For AA, sure, because you only have to clear security once and get to use the QF lounge.

For the terminals without the airside connector (i.e. T1-T3), I don't think it's worth going security twice, quite frankly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.