Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Dealing with the situation of an obese passenger on QF

Dealing with the situation of an obese passenger on QF

Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
As long as the consumer keeps insisting on cheap fares, issues related to that will exist. Fares today are 50% cheaper than they were 30 years ago, in real money (that is, corrected for inflation). Less space per passenger is just one fallout from that. The people get what the people deserve is very true in terms of air travel today.

This article sees lower fares as a good thing, I disagree. https://www.theatlantic.com/business...oticed/273506/

Only recently, questions have finally started to be raised about the effects of reduced space per passenger and the possible ramifications.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...more-miserable

What surprises me is that we constantly see references to airlines trying to reduce costs and increase profits as the reason for this. I've yet to see anyone writing about 'connecting the dots' on how the consumer's pushing for lower airfares is the ultimate reason for this.

Can anyone remember economy class when it had the kind of space shown in the following 1970s photo? Can anyone remember when the density of passengers was also often as shown in the photo?
http://www.aviationexplorer.com/vint...20interior.jpg

Also note the size of the overhead bins and the resulting feeling of openness in the cabin. I can remember when overhead bins were for hats, coats and briefcases, that's all. There were no cases of 'air rage' caused by people fighting over overhead bins, reclining seats and yes, obese passengers. They just go their own set of seats with no one beside them.
I do not completely agree on this.

In the 1970/80s I flew many times long haul (Y only), but today it is not more crammed. Admittedly, the latest years I flew mostly EK and their Y is like W (premium Y) of some others, but SQ and KL are also good in legroom, and I am rather tall (almost 2m height).
But I don't know the situation on short haul as it is long ago I took a short haul.
Competition is tight, so airlines tend to cram seats, but other things are that the seats of the 1970 were thicker than in modern aircraft.

On the other hand, wired IFE with on-seat screens is becoming more and more obsolete, most people now have smartphones, tablets and / or laptops to display IFE, so why can airlines just get rid of screens on the Y seats ? That few people without device needing IFE can rent a tablet for a small fee.
That saves a lot of weight: assume 300 Y seats in an average long haul plane such as a 777 / A350 / A380, slightly less on a 787 or A330, every screen is 1 kg extra plus all cabling from the servers, which can be replaced by a few (extra) wifi hotspots to stream the IFE from the onboard servers to the passenger's devices. Even adding 100 rental tablets of 0.5kg each will save 300kg - 50kg = 250kg plus the cables.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

EK economy is nothing like Premium Economy
EK was one of the early adopters of 10 abreast seating in economy rather than 9 across on a 777

Flights have got more cramped. The aeroplanes have not increased in size, but the number of seats across has increased on numerous types - e.g. 10 on 777 , 9 instead of 8 across on 787s .... when was last time that a 747 passenger service operated with 9 across layout in economy
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
EK economy is nothing like Premium Economy
EK was one of the early adopters of 10 abreast seating in economy rather than 9 across on a 777

Flights have got more cramped. The aeroplanes have not increased in size, but the number of seats across has increased on numerous types - e.g. 10 on 777 , 9 instead of 8 across on 787s .... when was last time that a 747 passenger service operated with 9 across layout in economy

Agree. EK's 777's with ultra narrow seats can't be compared to W class at an industry standard 19+ inch width (plus armrests) and 38 inch pitch.

Air India (currently in service), although only the first cabin behind F. But the seats are standard width, just wider aisles.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Admittedly, the latest years I flew mostly EK and their Y is like W (premium Y) of some others
I flew 16 airlines last year, and the one trip in EK's Y was without a doubt the worse of them. I'd even put JQ international Y above EK.

I'd love to know which airline does a 17" wide, 32" pitch in premium economy...
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:31 am

Airlines generally have the perception (rightly or wrongly) that passengers in economy are extremely price driven and although there are some other factors how much a ticket costs will be at the top of the list for most.

Aircraft throughout history have taught us that. Many do not realise that the Queen of the Skies the 747 was launched initially with a 2x4x3 configuration in economy (nine abreast) which not long after became a standard of ten.

EK was a trail blazer for daring to go ten abreast on the 777 and for a little while was the only airline to do it. Most others eventually followed suit and now those with the 'regular' nine abreast seating are in the minority.

Even new aircraft - like the 787. Named the 'Drealminer' because of its much touted passenger comfort including a spacious eight abreast configuration in Economy. How long did that last? Only the first two customers (JAL and ANA) took deliveries in the original configuration while every other airline reckoned they could increase revenue by squeezing in an extra seat. What was marketed as the most comfortable of economy class cabins has now become (IMHO) the one to avoid most.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Agree. EK's 777's with ultra narrow seats can't be compared to W class at an industry standard 19+ inch width (plus armrests) and 38 inch pitch.
Indeed, the 777 seats of EK are rather narrow, but not on the A380 as EK is one of the airlines with 3-4-3 in the 777. But I have flown in the back where the body is narrower, so there are 2-4-2 and getting a seat behind (about) row 46 allows more legroom because of the missing C / H seats behind 46 C / H. And just the two of us are seated without a third person. Many airlines don't have this and have 3-3-3 until the very end of the cabin.

But another problem is also that people are getting wider (which is the reason for this topic) that makes seats beside overweight pax less comfortable.
Originally Posted by bananahead
any do not realise that the Queen of the Skies the 747 was launched initially with a 2x4x3 configuration in economy (nine abreast) which not long after became a standard of ten.
When was that ? When I flew on a KLM 747 in 1975 in Y it was just 3-4-3 in Y and KLM was one of the better airlines (and still is).
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by airsurfer
When was that ? When I flew on a KLM 747 in 1975 in Y it was just 3-4-3 in Y and KLM was one of the better airlines (and still is).
TWA used to have a 3-4-2 layout I believe

Nice little article at https://sploid.gizmodo.com/traveling...amn-1504637666
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
TWA used to have a 3-4-2 layout I believe

Nice little article at https://sploid.gizmodo.com/traveling...amn-1504637666
Pan Am also had the 2 4 3 seating. That was on the 741 in 1973.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.