Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 787 Route MEL-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by aztimm
Wow that really is horrible. Was it a paid J fare?
No, it was a QF award. So I am only expecting a refund of points (51k per pax) and a pro rata refund of their ludicrous J class 'carrier surcharge'. I get the impression they will not even do this until I ask.

During this whole process I have not received a single email from them with regard to the cancellation, compensation policies etc. All I have is one SMS saying QF50 is cancelled. I'm not sure how they expect people to navigate this process.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
No, it was a QF award. So I am only expecting a refund of points (51k per pax) and a pro rata refund of their ludicrous J class 'carrier surcharge'. I get the impression they will not even do this until I ask.

During this whole process I have not received a single email from them with regard to the cancellation, compensation policies etc. All I have is one SMS saying QF50 is cancelled. I'm not sure how they expect people to navigate this process.
Do you have status with QF or one of their partners? Maybe that was how we were able to keep our seats in J.

What was their J carrier surcharge? I booked mine months ago (back in January), but I think I paid about US$80 in taxes/fees for 2 passengers. Compared with the BA fees, I thought it was rather reasonable.

Does QF have a presence on Twitter or other social media? AA is fairly responsive through direct messages to their Twitter handle. Might be worth a shot.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by aztimm
What was their J carrier surcharge? I booked mine months ago (back in January), but I think I paid about US$80 in taxes/fees for 2 passengers. Compared with the BA fees, I thought it was rather reasonable.
You were booking with AA miles though, is that right? If so, you would not have had to pay it.

However booking the MEL-SFO-MEL in J using QF points means getting hit with a cash component of....wait for it...A$850!

Of that, about $180 is taxes...the rest is just cash added to QF's bottom line...so about $670. For an economy award that figure is $240. So I calculate they also owe $215 per pax in surcharge refund. When asked they won't commit to anything though..."at our discretion sir"!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Of that, about $180 is taxes...the rest is just cash added to QF's bottom line...so about $670. For an economy award that figure is $240. So I calculate they also owe $215 per pax in surcharge refund. When asked they won't commit to anything though..."at our discretion sir"!
If QF ffp do not respond-refund in a reasonable time lodge a claim with Airline Customer Advocate
If QF respond (in writing) negatively once, just lodge the claim that day. No need to give QF a second chance.
Email for QF ff is Qantas Frequent Flyer <[email protected]>
aztimm likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 3, 2018 at 2:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.