Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF London Lounge - Opened November 2017 (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Well despite my best loitering it seems that reports on here were correct, it’s not open to customers, although the lounge was open. There were staff at the podiums and what looked like customers at the tables.

From what I saw, there is a lot of wood. The entrance is very nice, with white marble style podiums and wooden dividers to the main lounge. It looks like there is a dining area to the left.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:15 pm

Nice snap! I’d suggest the staff at podium and customers at dining area may have been there for the usual pr photo shoot..?

Last edited by djsflynn; Nov 23, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by matthandy
Well despite my best loitering it seems that reports on here were correct, it’s not open to customers, although the lounge was open. There were staff at the podiums and what looked like customers at the tables.

From what I saw, there is a lot of wood. The entrance is very nice, with white marble style podiums and wooden dividers to the main lounge. It looks like there is a dining area to the left.
Well I'm obviously more brazen than matthandy (which won't surprise him at all!) - I just marched in brandishing my BA boarding pass! I didn't get a proper visit, just a glimpse and they weren't running it like a normal lounge this evening in terms of food,drink and service.

I only got the shortest of glimpses, no photos I'm afraid, there are 2 areas, the downstairs (entry level) is much smaller and upstairs which is bigger and more open. It looks like an excellent lounge, similar in some ways to the Cathay lounge immediately next door (though this is the larger of the two). There was a "private function" on tonight, they weren't passengers, indeed I recognised some BA Watersiders in there. The lounge agent will be very familiar to regular Qantas passengers, and will be a voice from back home.

Other snippets:
- opening hours 08:00 to 20:00 hrs 7 days a weeek
- it will be open to the public "towards the end of next week", some aspects are not finished and some of the electrics aren't working - no date was shared despite me pressing.
- it will be open to oneworld alliance members in the usual way, so BA Silver, BA Gold and above, Sapphire and Emeralds on a oneworld flight will be allowed access, but not Vueling passengers
- Speculation: the relevant QF flights leave at midday and 20:45 currently, so early afternoon would a good time for BA/AY passengers to try it out.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Opening at 8am means no breakfast en route to PRG or WAW
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Some pics here:

https://www.instagram.com/headforpoints/
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Cool! Lots of cake Have you seen any menus?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Plenty of pics and details now up at https://www.ausbt.com.au/first-look-...t-class-lounge (and more to follow) – and confirming the lounge will open from tomorrow, Nov 29, from 8am to 8.30pm daily.
Great pics, looks impressive!

and, we believe, some Champagne kept under the counter for first class passengers, Platinum One frequent flyers and Chairman’s Lounge members
Is this normal for Qantas lounges? Do you know if it includes Oneworld Emeralds? Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by wheatbeer
Is this normal for Qantas lounges? Do you know if it includes Oneworld Emeralds? Thanks.
I believe the Singapore lounge also works this way. Probably Hong Kong too. Regular emeralds don't get to drink from that fountain, though.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by danger
I believe the Singapore lounge also works this way. Probably Hong Kong too. Regular emeralds don't get to drink from that fountain, though.
Thanks. Bit mean of them
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:01 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The article says “savvy” travellers will go to the CX First Class lounge. From what I can see here and my experience of the CX lounge, the only reason to go to the CX lounge is because it has a “first” label and that doesn’t sound savvy to me. QF looks like it has healthier more substantial food, and a much better bar selection with a bar tender.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sxc
The article says “savvy” travellers will go to the CX First Class lounge. From what I can see here and my experience of the CX lounge, the only reason to go to the CX lounge is because it has a “first” label and that doesn’t sound savvy to me. QF looks like it has healthier more substantial food, and a much better bar selection with a bar tender.
It's also an article which says, apparently with a straight face, that "This is Qantas' first dedicated lounge at London's Heathrow Airport".

I think that a beer on the other side of the Tasman may have something to say about that.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:26 am

A coupla updates:
* confirmed that there is no champers set aside for F, CL and P1 members unlike at HKG and SIN lounges (article amended to reflect this)
* main reasons why I'd expect eligible QF pax to pop into the CX F lounge: Champagne (none at QF lounge) plus all-day à la carte dining from what appears to be a nicer menu, doesn't have the uber-healthy 'wellness' options but plenty of variety. Looking at the QF breakfast menu I believe a lot of people would rather sup at the CX dining room.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Firipu
Any pics of the menus? Will it be sustainable to provide table service for everyone who has access to the lounge?
One pic of the breakfast menu in the article linked above, we'll be back through the lounge tomorrow to suss out lunch menu.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by djsflynn
A coupla updates:
* confirmed that there is no champers set aside for F, CL and P1 members unlike at HKG and SIN lounges (article amended to reflect this)
* main reasons why I'd expect eligible QF pax to pop into the CX F lounge: Champagne (none at QF lounge) plus all-day à la carte dining from what appears to be a nicer menu, doesn't have the uber-healthy 'wellness' options but plenty of variety. Looking at the QF breakfast menu I believe a lot of people would rather sup at the CX dining room.
You are comparing to Cathay F though. My gut feeling is that oneworld Sapphire will be better off here.

Last edited by Raffles; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:23 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:56 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Raffles
You are comparing to Cathay F though. My gut feeling is that oneworld Emerald will be better off here.
Do you mean sapphire? Because emeralds can go to CX F lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.