FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   QFF security can't cope with OS members (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1872991-qff-security-cant-cope-os-members.html)

VH-RMD Oct 20, 2017 2:22 am

QFF security can't cope with OS members

Well just spent a pointless two hours of my life, mostly on hold to QFF over two phone calls because of course, the first was disconnected...

It appears (and was confirmed in the call) that QFF have updated their on-line security which now requires you to enter a one-time code sent to your phone after your (formerly) normal log-in.

This is fine if you have an Australian number but their system, while it can recognise an international number, cannot send a code to it.

Fine you may think, use the 'alternative' verification method;
Mothers maiden name
DOB
postcode (cannot cope with a postcode of more than 4 numbers)
joining date (that one proves tricky the first time as you can't get into the system to find it if you can't remember it), luckily I found an old FF card which had my joining date on it.

Now if the system rejects the above, you need to call to correct the information - even if it is correct and has been since 1994.

So as I live overseas I can no longer access my account on-line.

Confirmed over the phone the system is designed for Australian members, I can understand that given that is where most of them are, but obviously was not tested for the few who do not fit into the neat box.

We will send this off to IT to fix (no breath holding) however if you do need to make any booking, or other account activity you will have to call and no, we will not waive phone charges.

If you try and book, when the system asks for your FF number, it sends you into this loop of verification you can't get out of.

Stuffed Qantas....

Dave Noble Oct 20, 2017 3:00 am

Can you not go into the booking via manage booking and add the number there? There wouldn't seem to be any verification needed there

Kiwi Flyer Oct 20, 2017 12:40 pm

This isn't just a minor problem. A lot of QFF members either live overseas (as the OP) or travel overseas (gee who would have thought FFP members like to fly around).

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28954893)
Can you not go into the booking via manage booking and add the number there? There wouldn't seem to be any verification needed there

There are other reasons for wanting to log into your account besides checking/managing a booking.

Dave Noble Oct 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 28956631)
There are other reasons for wanting to log into your account besides checking/managing a booking.

There may indeed be oher reasons and if the lack of an Australian phone number becomes a permanent block to accessing the account that will be a big issue. I doubt that this will be the case

This does not , however, stop someone making a booking and so incurring telephone booking fees - that cn be done without adding a frequent flyer number

There should be no problem adding the FF number to an existing booking without the need to log in

Platy Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28957035)
There may indeed be oher reasons and if the lack of an Australian phone number becomes a permanent block to accessing the account that will be a big issue. I doubt that this will be the case

This does not , however, stop someone making a booking and so incurring telephone booking fees - that can be done without adding a frequent flyer number

There should be no problem adding the FF number to an existing booking without the need to log in

Maybe this could be a "big issue" if blocking you from your FF account if only on a temporary basis (noting that the agent was unable to fix the problem within the phone call from the OP and the OP has wasted two hours on a problem not of their making).

Accepting a paid booking can still be made and the FF number added later, surely this would stop someone making a reward booking (rather than a paid booking) through the FF website, which normally requires the ability to log into their account to see the availability and process the fee-free transaction?

Without that access the QF member would have to have the knowledge and access to determine reward availability by other means (and only a small minority will have that access or smarts), most likely having to ring up QF (with an unknown hold time again) to determine availability and get scammed with the booking fee.

On the projects I have worked on which have a IT system underlay, the operational scenarios have been exhaustively documented as part of design process. If the scenario of txt-ing an overseas number has not been accommodated presumably this this have to be fixed in the system?

In the meantime, the already overloaded call centres will get even more traffic if folk have to ring to unblock their accounts and make bookings otherwise accessible through their FF accounts.

Yep...+1 for the OP's observation - "stuffed QF"

deeruck Oct 20, 2017 3:43 pm

I tested my account, and it only required the text verification (which failed to a US number) when making changes to my profile. Did the website actually try for verification at initial login for you @VH-RMD?

Dave Noble Oct 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck (Post 28957251)
I tested my account, and it only required the text verification (which failed to a US number) when making changes to my profile. Did the website actually try for verification at initial login for you @VH-RMD?

I also found that I can log in using just the pin. Going to the profile page, there were padlock icons next to items there and a verification was needed for that

It did not affect being able to log in and do general activities

Platy Oct 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28957537)
I also found that I can log in using just the pin. Going to the profile page, there were padlock icons next to items there and a verification was needed for that

It did not affect being able to log in and do general activities

https://www.finder.com.au/qantas-bol...requent-flyers

This article suggests that a subset of FF members may be experiencing different processes to others as QF pilots its security online requirements.

(As ever, the presumption that one experience applies to all may or may not be valid).

timster Oct 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Why do organizations assume that we all have global roaming on our phones and can receive a one-time SMS code on our usual mobile number anywhere in the world. I don't. I use a travel SIM or local SIMs. And I don't want to be using those to call Qantas when their dumbass security scheme doesn't work.

VH-RMD Oct 21, 2017 12:17 am

Originally Posted by deeruck (Post 28957251)

Yes, I could not get past the login page, however on my daughters (age 7) account there was no two stage verification required.

Very strange systems Qantas.

Tyrolean Oct 22, 2017 2:43 pm

I have an Australian SIM card, even living in Germany. The main reason is to save money on a Data when I am in Australia and to communicate with my friends when I am downunder. Then it is my contact number for QF. The code is not a problem as receiving SMS overseas is free of charge. I use it in an old spare phone and switch it on from time to time. There may be cheaper options, but I have the same number since 10 years which makes it easier for my friends to contact me. One call from Qantas Chauffeur Service on my German number in Australia is equivalent to quite a few MB on my Telstra prepayed.

Platy Oct 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Those that tend to use an alternative local SIM card when O/S might like to note that there are now mobile plans from the major (Australian) carriers which include global roaming - the one I just bought allows unlimited global roaming calls from any country to any other country and 4GB data monthly to tide you over between WIFI hotspots (some cheaper plans limit which countries)...;)

lokijuh Oct 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tyrolean (Post 28963471)
I have an Australian SIM card, even living in Germany.

We maintain an Australian SIM card as well, living in Singapore. Main reason is actually for receiving SMS from Australian bank who cannot cope with overseas SMS numbers. QF is still working OK for me without the need for SMS PIN, (did ask some extra questions, when trying to change profile), but at least we can use this number for receiving SMS from QF too. But forget Australians travelling overseas, QF should cater easily to those without Australian mobiles, as they are an international program open to members around the world.

LifeTimeBronze Oct 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Platy (Post 28963720)
Those that tend to use an alternative local SIM card when O/S might like to note that there are now mobile plans from the major (Australian) carriers which include global roaming - the one I just bought allows unlimited global roaming calls from any country to any other country and 4GB data monthly to tide you over between WIFI hotspots (some cheaper plans limit which countries)...;)

And that provider would be ... ???

VH-RMD Oct 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Have not received any communication from QFF IT however something has changed as I can now verify using the questions and it is accepting a 5 digit postcode.

At least I can get back into my account even if it means there are no award tickets to be had for where I want to go...