FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   QFF cancelled with no notice [points expiry] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1871615-qff-cancelled-no-notice-points-expiry.html)

lokijuh Oct 14, 2017 9:14 am

Platy, has your friend tried submitting a complaint with the Airline Consumer Advocate? If QF were genuinely in the wrong and denied initial complaint with them, that is the next avenue for pursuing the complaint.

Platy Oct 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28930886)
No - given that QF is specifically listing exceptions to earnings rather than listing that which is eligible, it seems quite unambiguous to me

But QF does provide an exhaustive list of ways to earn points (which negate expiry): thus there is a list of inclusions as well as exclusions.

In the case of cards and banking there is an exhaustive list: generic cards do not feature on that list:

1. Follow Dave Noble’s link to FAQs on points expiry: Do My QF Points Expire
2. Click on the subsequent link on the word earn in the first line of copy
3. Scroll down to "Cards and Banking" from the QF earn points page (the wallet motif)
4. Click on the link to Learn More under the Cards & Banking paragraph
5. Note the description under “Every Major Bank has a QF Points Earning Credit Card” specifies a “Qantas Earn Credit Card”: “When you pay for something using a Qantas Points earning credit card, be it lunch or an online purchase, you'll earn points on every eligible purchase you make. And the great news is that all major banks in Australia offer credit cards that allow you to earn Qantas Points.
6. To confirm definition of a Qantas Earn Credit Card cross refer either to (1) Compare Cards Now link or (2) select a specific supplier, for example clicking on the American Express Logo, to access the list of such cards
7. Note that generic cards such as the Visa Prestige and American Express Platinum charge card are not included in the list.

The instance of transfers from generic credit cards is simply not addressed (as far as I can see) despite extensive descriptions of other earning options.

IMHO there is ambiguity and a case for a very simple fix by QF: add one or two lines of copy!

Platy Oct 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 28931721)
Platy, has your friend tried submitting a complaint with the Airline Consumer Advocate? If QF were genuinely in the wrong and denied initial complaint with them, that is the next avenue for pursuing the complaint.

Yes, many thanks, I'll advise such.

DownUnderFlyer Oct 14, 2017 4:26 pm

[mod hat] This thread has been going nowhere for a bit of time now. Unless you have something new to add, I would suggest to refrain from posting. [/mod hat]

Platy Oct 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 28932863)
[mod hat] This thread has been going nowhere for a bit of time now. Unless you have something new to add, I would suggest to refrain from posting. [/mod hat]

I hope it's OK to add this information, which hopefully settles the debate on recognition of generic credit card points transfer as "earn" activity for the purposes of avoiding expiry of accumulated points.

I spoke with QF this morning. The agent informed me that such a transfer would not count as earn.

She also went and double checked with a supervisor.

So, folks, don't rely on a points transfer from a generic credit card to keep your points from expiring!

;)

serfty Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 28931206)
The problem with the OP's story (and with the less detailed comments posted by the other new member) is therefore that it is implausible given what is known about the steps that QF does take - and has been taking for years - to notify members with imminently-expiring balances that it is about to happen. .

The ONLY steps qantas have "been taking for years" has been to include notice of expiration in spammy looking emails.

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 28931206)
And as you will have noticed, QF is doing more than the T&C require it to do - ie QF is sending specific emails warning of points expiry, when the T&C do not actually require it....

Recent innovations are just that - recent, as in the last few months.

Platy Oct 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 28940747)
The ONLY steps qantas have "been taking for years" has been to include notice of expiration in spammy looking emails.

To note across the two thread on this topic there are a number of QF customers now claiming that they did not receive notifications, including one or two who appeared to have a 3-month gap in the flow of communications from QF.

If QF are now sending clear emails out that is to be applauded and thanks to Globaliser for providing examples. ^

But that doesn't negate the past experiences as reported or necessarily make them "implausible".

The QF T&Cs provide for within 60 day notification(s) - perhaps this is rather short notice when the customer can only see 13 months of past activity as reported by Serfty. But good on QF if they are universally sending out the emails as per Globaliser's case.

Hopefully, the OP on this thread will get their points reinstated on the basis of the Jetstar flight.

To note the OP refers to providing the QF membership number: note that you can only add your QFF number on the Jetstar booking interface when have already selected a pack which bestows QFF points - so that would suggest they should qualify for the points earn as expected.

Obviously, (if the information I received from QF this morning is correct) and the generic credit card transfers are not "earn" for expiry purposes QF might recast its T&Cs / FAQs etc. for clarity on this issue - since several highly experienced and erudite FFers herein were convinced of the meaning, the copy is evidently misleading. And an unsuspecting customer could lose a significant number of credit card points if they attempted use a transfer to keep the points from expiring and were denied a reinstatement challenge (as happened to my friend).

Now to order some more wine from QF Epiqure...and check those KrisFlyer points!

lokijuh Oct 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Platy (Post 28940813)
To note the OP refers to providing the QF membership number: note that you can only add your QFF number on the Jetstar booking interface when have already selected a pack which bestows QFF points - so that would suggest they should qualify for the points earn as expected.

That has not always been the case. Up until fairly recently you have been able to add the QFF number to the booking, even if not selecting a bundle, and it even appeared on your account as 0 points, 0 status credits and no ~. I can't remember when the change was made.

Platy Oct 16, 2017 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 28941102)
That has not always been the case. Up until fairly recently you have been able to add the QFF number to the booking, even if not selecting a bundle, and it even appeared on your account as 0 points, 0 status credits and no ~. I can't remember when the change was made.

Thanks for the heads up.

Globaliser Oct 17, 2017 1:51 am

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 28940747)

It will be a matter of opinion as to whether the following emails over the past 5½ years are "spammy looking" or lack any clarity about what is about to happen. Note that the first one pre-dates the change to an 18-month expiry period, but the others involve the current duration.

serfty Oct 17, 2017 3:01 pm

They are first I have seen of such emails sent 2014-2016.

Presumably sent to non au residents ...

Certainly I am aware of at least three Austrlain resident members who receive Qantas emails every month had no such specific notification.

Globaliser Oct 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 28944287)
Presumably sent to non au residents ...

Yes, but that is as much as I can offer out of my own inbox.

It would be interesting to know whether any AU residents have received similar emails.

One potential problem is that the pool of those who have balances large enough to care about, who do care enough about them to look out for the emails, but who have so little QF activity that they get to the point of "qualifying" for such an email, must be pretty small.

BRITINJAPAN3 Oct 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Platy (Post 28931286)
Well all I can say Dave is your interpretation of ambiguity in written copy wouldn't pass muster in the industries and scenarios that I encounter professionally. Vive la difference as they say!

Similarly, your assessments or risk and probability analysis also differ wildly to my own. Again, vive la difference!

IMHO it is unfortunate that your logical process leads you to a position where you have so little trust in others' reportage of experiences.

Feel free to say so, however the only industry that matters in this context is the airline industry, and this is all that matters

Platy Oct 18, 2017 12:42 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3 (Post 28945272)
Feel free to say so, however the only industry that matters in this context is the airline industry, and this is all that matters

I was referring to the aviation industry (wherein I have experience writing safety training to a standard of English / copywriting which eliminated all reasonable or perceived ambiguity across numerous clients).

But that said, FWIW, it's not the airline industry that is relevant - rather any industry with a sales / service contract involving a customer overlain with legal compliance requirements (consumer and trade practices even that the prevailing legal regimen has precedence over a customer contract in Australian law) and necessity for internally monitored compliance given self imposed corporate guidelines / ethics (which would be the yardsticks by which the corporate executive would be required to follow in designing their strategy and process set for implementation).

In the event, we now have additional information (see post #65 ) , which indicates that both the logic and interpretations of some posting earlier on this thread were misplaced (however well intentioned and well reasoned).

Platy Oct 18, 2017 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 28944342)
Yes, but that is as much as I can offer out of my own inbox.

It would be interesting to know whether any AU residents have received similar emails.

Many thanks for sharing the additional examples (presumably across more than one person given the dates cited?).

It is good to see QF taking the initiative - hopefully this applies universally and not just to a subset of the relevant customer base.

Australian examples would indeed be welcome.