Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QFF cancelled with no notice [points expiry]

QFF cancelled with no notice [points expiry]

Old Oct 12, 17, 8:41 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
I can sign into my Qantas account, and I have to work out when the points expire. I can't really find it anywhere (maybe it's there, but not so easy to find). I sign into my AA or UA accounts, and right beneath or beside the points balance is the expiry date.
If anyone signs into their account and goes to "Account Activity" they see this:

The date of your last activity is clear, with an overarching message about points expiry - I'm not sure how much easier people want it?
Attached Images  
eminere likes this.
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post

At what point are people expected to take responsibility for their own actions or inaction?
Sure, and and equally well, the counter question - at what point should a customer reasonably expect an airline to take responsibility for its own actions or inaction?

Please note that QF has a (publicly published) code of conduct.

Contributors herein might be usefully encouraged read this (as well as any other T&Cs) as a guide to what is a reasonable expectation and thereby a reasonable balance between "spoon feeding" and good business practice.

In any case, if QF is now attempting to notify its members of impending loss of accounts balances the question is moot (but certainly wasn't when my friend lost his points).
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by HB7 View Post
If anyone signs into their account and goes to "Account Activity" they see this:

The date of your last activity is clear, with an overarching message about points expiry - I'm not sure how much easier people want it?
IIRC this layout is only a few days old (so calling people out on their past experiences is misplaced?)....
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:43 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HB7 View Post

This is definitely an improvement on what there was before. But still the best implementation I have seen is on UA, makes it clear every time I log into the system. Having that date there makes it easy to commit to memory.

Not to say the current QF efforts are not a big improvement on what they had in the past, but just wonder if something simple like the UA would help. Of course you will get people who never log into their accounts, never read their emails etc - then they do get what they deserve with respect to losing points, as clearly they are not that interested in the points and program. Usually these are people with lowish balances anyway.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:55 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Platy View Post
+1

The airline should take responsibility to inform their customers with a notification and make the expiry tally easily accessible online to the individual member (if they are now doing this, then well and good).That's not "spoon feeding", rather good business practice, assuming the airline has any actual commitment to customer loyalty and basic levels of transparency in dealing with customers (which, incidentally is required by its own ethics guidelines).

Well QF cared enough (not) about a friend's case that they scooped up all of his points without notice, which included around 100,000 pts transferred from Amex a few weeks before QF decided to clean him out.

He lost the points transferred from the credit card...QF wouldn't budge, didn't offer a reinstatement challenge of any kind.

He "cared" enough about QF after that to decide never to given any business to QF every again.

QF scored the cash for selling those points to Amex, but lost a customer and created an example shared with many of his well heeled colleagues and mates (AP executive level) most of whom have themselves also ditched QF for various poor service reasons.

If you start from a position of zero expectation and zero trust with QF loyalty you will be fine, of course...

and i an sure now Quantas is tremebling !! WOW, AP Executive level ? Dont they fly private ?

Its all in the T&C's I guess execs can read, or have they PA read !!
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sure, and and equally well, the counter question - at what point should a customer reasonably expect an airline to take responsibility for its own actions or inaction?
I cannot see that Qantas is required to spoon feed people who think that T&Cs are rubbish and that emails do not need to be read

QF does not hide the expiration period, it is in the FAQs ( see https://www.qantaspoints.com/about/f..._POINTS_EXPIRE ) which is easily found by searching

It is also in the rubbish T&Cs at https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...-qantas-points - but hey , why bother reading them
bensyd and eminere like this.
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:11 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Well QF cared enough (not) about a friend's case that they scooped up all of his points without notice, which included around 100,000 pts transferred from Amex a few weeks before QF decided to clean him out.
How does this happen though? I thought credit card points transfer was eligible for keeping account active. Unless of course it was done via QF Business Rewards or through a family transfer situation (CC belonged to Person A->Transfer to Person A QFF account -> Person B QFF account).
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3 View Post
and i an sure now Quantas is tremebling !! WOW, AP Executive level ? Dont they fly private ?

Its all in the T&C's I guess execs can read, or have they PA read !!
Do you actually have anything other than a childishly stupid comment to offer the discussion?
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
How does this happen though? I thought credit card points transfer was eligible for keeping account active. Unless of course it was done via QF Business Rewards or through a family transfer situation (CC belonged to Person A->Transfer to Person A QFF account -> Person B QFF account).
As I understand it , transfer from a personal Amex account to the QF FF account (same account holder, etc)...
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I cannot see that Qantas is required to spoon feed people who think that T&Cs are rubbish and that emails do not need to be read
Hmmm...you're being deliberately contrarian and dramatic, Dave...the OP's suggestion was an email notifying customer of impending expiry with a clear subject heading.

QF do seem to manage "spoon fed" emails on all number of other issues - customised to the individual when it suits them (bespoke emailed sales offers based on recent booking engine searches for example); targeted status credit offers, and the like.

Anyway - whether you (or others) regard such as "spoonfeeding" is immaterial - the questions that a responsible business should ask would be around compliance (legal and ethical) and what behaviours are in its business interests.

Expiry of account post balances is an event that is likely to cause angst in customers and thereby worthy of consideration for treatment other than passing the responsibility onto the customer to read the small print in the T&Cs.

Until recently QF appears to have been out of step with industry practice on this (expiry information clearly upon accessing one's account online). That now seems to have been corrected given the examples and screen shots provided above.

That QF would even offer a reinstatement challenge indicates that they recognise a problem for which they require a proactive solution to manage the risk of negative impacts from customers losing their points.

That said, their approach has been inconsistent - my particular mate was not given any quarter when seeking a resolution and QF flatly refused to treat a points transfer from Amex as an activity on his account and happily hoovered up those points recently transferred. He was offered no option for a reinstatement challenge.

FWIW...IMHO an email from QF warning of points expiry would be in the interests of both the customer and supplier...not every customer regularly logs onto their account.

(Note there is a difference between an active account and swiping the points booty - my mother's QF account has been inactive (no transactions) for years, but QF makes not attempt to close the account" that suggests they are happy to sit on highly inflated figures of the number of FF members!).

As stated above, it's good to see Qf adding transparency on points expiry at least to the individual member FF account pages.

Last edited by Platy; Oct 12, 17 at 10:59 pm
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hmmm...you're being deliberately contrarian and dramatic, Dave...the OP's suggestion was an email notifying customer of impending expiry with a clear subject heading.

QF do seem to manage "spoon fed" emails on all number of other issues - customised to the individual when it suits them (bespoke emailed sales offers based on recent booking engine searches for example); targeted status credit offers, and the like.
The OP admits , from what I see, in the opening post that emails with the details were received but didn't bother reading them
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:15 pm

As I understand it , transfer from a personal Amex account to the QF FF account (same account holder, etc)...
Which counts as activity so the points wouldn't expire. I suspect your friend may not have told you the whole truth and that you may be somewhat predisposed to believing the worst about Qantas.
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:11 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
IIRC this layout is only a few days old (so calling people out on their past experiences is misplaced?)....
The old layout also had dates of your most recent points activity as well as the general message of points expiry after 18 months of inactivity.

I think I echo the sentiment that obviously if you have a significantly large balance of points, you should at least check every now and again that they are not about to expire.
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:18 am

Programs: QF
I seem to recall that message about points expiry was also prominently displayed in the previous page layout.
HB7 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:31 am
THR

Which Qantas provide? I don't think it's being contrary when the OP is complaining about something that actually happens (I have received them myself before).

The OP is just trying to lay blame where it is not due; they ought have a look at their own behaviours, and why they chose to ignore all communications that would have enlightened them to the forthcoming loss.

It is very, very easy to maintain Qantas points - activity is not hard.
HB7 and eminere like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: